Top 10 Posters

Help, Where to start when Hand quilting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535
Mary789 posted on Wed, Apr 17 2013 11:01 AM

After the quilt sandwich is basted, I am familiar with the steps for machine quilting.  But is it the same for hand quilting?  Are the vertical seams done first and then the cross seams?  Are the blocks done next, and last the borders? 

I have a lap size top that I have pieced and want to quilt this one by hand.  Thanks for any helpful advice :-)

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 11:43 AM

start in the middle and work out with a lap frame...have fun!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

I'm not familiar with long arm quilting but do my quiting on my domestic machine I start from the center and quilt out. I've done one by hand and did it the same way. I hope that helps.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 500 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 12:20 PM

Jen, so working from the center out means the whole center block, then it's surrounding blocks and then outward from there?  So there is no ditch quilting the long seams first?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

exactly...starting from the center working out keeps everything more even..you won't have any problems with rippling in the middle and all sides will align much better

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:19 PM

I always work center out.  Although I am piecing an Irish Triple Chain and it was suggested to my by by local quilt guild that I baste diagonal rows on this particular quilt pattern because of the millions (it only seems like it) of 2 inch squares mixed with the larger pieces.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,035 Posts
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:50 PM

If your quilt is properly basted it shouldn't matter where you start.

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I agree with Kris.  However, I would add that if you start with the border work in the same direction for the entire quilt.  In other words, if you start in the right hand corner, work to the left; then go back to the right side of the quilt and work to the left again, etc.  Also, when you are quilting straight lines quilt in the same direction.  If you go back and forth, you may get ripples.  As far as seam quilting, I stitch in the ditch in the seams but I do this as I quilt the rest of the quilt.  It seems to stabilize the quilt whilte I'm doing more extensive stitching within  the blocks.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535

Thanks for everyone's directions.  This is very helpful information, and I am glad that I asked before beginning :-)  It will take a while to complete, but sometimes I enjoy working on a slower project on the side.   I like the feel, the look, and the process of the hand quilting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,740 Posts
Points 436,630
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:15 PM

Mary

I always start in the center and work my way outward.   This gives you the advantage of working any "extra" backing fabric toward the edges as you go.   I know that even though I pin baste mine thoroughly sometimes I have a wrinkle develop.  I can smooth any wrinkles out toward the edges as I quilt if I start in the center.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use