Texan here

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 445
ClareRae Posted: Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:39 AM

Hello! My name is Clare. I've been getting into some crafts lately, including quilting. As I go along, however, I find myself diving into more difficult projects that I'm not so sure I can get out of, lol. I'm hoping  you all can help! :-) Looking forward to making some friends. :-)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,674
Points 179,313
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 12:32 PM

Hello Clare and welcome!  We've all been in a jam one time or another but all we have to do is ask for help and the jam we're in is solved many ways and quickly and with tutorials if we need it.  I'm talking about quilting here but we've also been known to get one another out of a jam of a personal nature so go ahead and ask away.  We're all friendly here and welcome new friends all of the time.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,805
Points 248,324
Barbara replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 12:49 PM

Clare ,welcome to the club,  Know that we have all been in your shoes ,so ask for help any time you need to someone here will be able to help ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 525
Jeana replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 12:54 PM
Welcome Clare, what part of Texas are you in? Jeana Aaron, Spicewood, TX

Jeana

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 445
ClareRae replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 1:04 PM

Thank you all! I'm currently working on a hexigon scrap quilt. I think when I'm done it will have around 3000 pieces. I'm about half way there. I've been thinking about I'll quilt it when I finish it. I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology here, but I mean when I finish the front and put all the layers together, how I'll stitch it together. I'm going to hand stitch it and I wanted to use a multi colored thread so the back would have some kind of neat pattern on it. I wanted to do hearts all over, but I'm afraid that would robin the effect of the hexagons on the front. I'm torn about it. The hexigon a have every color imaginable, so I'm not sure it would look good or bad. Any thoughts?

@ Jeana: I'm currently in Ft Worth, but I'm originally from the Wichita Falls area.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 1:56 PM

It's going to be a lot of hand stitching to quilt a hexagon quilt with 3000 pieces, WOW.  That's an ambitious project and I'm sure absolutely stunning when completed!

If you hand quilted each individual hex just inside the border you would have a lovely pattern on the back.  Or you could choose a larger "flower" set of hex's to quilt around to ease up on some of the stitching. 

Will your backing be a solid color, or a print?

If you used different colors of thread I think a printed back would make it more interesting.  If you have a solid background, one color thread would be my choice.

I did a Grandmothers Flower Garden by hand, which is basically a bunch of hexagons.  I used different colors of thread for various flower areas, with a pink stripe sear-sucker backing.  I am pleased with the look on the front, but I'm not so happy about the back being different colors of thread.  It looks ok, but I think had I chosen a more interesting pattern material on the back it would have had a better look.

I can't wait to see your results!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 4:15 PM

Welcome Clare. You're a quilter after mine own heart. I love diving in. I'm making preparations to start an "Insanity Quilt".

I would love to see your quilt.

A new English Paper Piecing sampler is about to start in the paper piecing group come join us.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Welcome from another Texan (well, I wasn't born here, but got here as fast as I could).  I'm in Santa Anna, near Brownwood.  You'll love this group -- lots of very friendly and helpful folks here.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Howdy Clair, from another Texan, just So. of  Houston.  We are a big Ol' state and here in QCA there are a boat load of Texas members. Welcome!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 5:48 PM

Hi Clare, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 6:41 PM

welcome to the group, clare

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,239
Points 19,235
weezee56 replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:25 PM

Welcome to the club Clare.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:22 AM

Clare...

Welcome to QCA!!!

I will have to say you picked the right spot. There are many talented ladies here and willing to give a helping advice and guidance to do the impossible.

Be sure to check out all the things the site has to offer. Don't be afraid to ask a question.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:28 AM

Welcome Clare.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 445
ClareRae replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 3:30 AM

Hello to all the Texans!!! 

@Jenia- I know, it's a crazy number! I kinda cheated in a way... My aunt had to go throu my grandmothers things when she passed and she's given me all of her craft stuff. This included a few unfinished quilt tops. The piece we found had about 500. It's going to take me forever, but it seems well worth it. And my aunt is excited to see it at every step.

Also, thanks for the input. I like the idea of going over all of them. And I was thinking about what you said about a multicolored back- I've seen some that I really like that has various shades of blue swirled around. It has a calming appeal, and is attractive to the eye. I think it would look neat with little outlines of hexagons. :-)

@Kris- unfortunately I didn't know anything about EPP until I logged onto here. I might use it on another futur protect, but I've already started this one, I think it would be hard to start doing it a different way.

im trying to upload pictures, but I'm currently posting from my phone which makes it difficult. I did manage to get one up. It has about 1400 pieces.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use