Top 10 Posters

Special Hoop for hand quilting - has anyone used this? Barnett's Laptop Square Hoop

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:53 AM

I am looking forward to when it comes time to quilt my current project and feel that my regular large, medium and small round hoops might become cumbersome when moving down the rows.

I came across this item and wondered if it's worth the cost?  $109 seems steep for a hoop system, but it sure does look nice. 

http://stores.laptophoops.com/-strse-443/*Barnett%27s-Laptop-Hoops--dsh-/Detail.bok

Mostly what I'm looking for is a square "hoop" that will make more sense when quilting my current project which will be done in 15-inch rows.  Because of this I would get larger size of this which is 18-inches but there's no photograph of the item so I wanted to show you all what they look like, the cost is the same for 16 or 18 inches.

The hoops I have are round but cost far less than this system - nothing more than $20 I would guess. 

Is it worth paying all that extra money to have a square arrangement when working in rows?  I have muddled through using the round in a square format before, but I'm thinking maybe it's time to invest in a simpler method and I have income tax refund money to allow a little bit of splurging at the moment. 

I would love to hear if anyone has used this before, or if thee is something similar out there that might even be better.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:57 AM

Jenia

The hoop looks really nice.   I have tried all kinds of hoops and just don't like any of them.   I just put the quilt in my lap and start quilting.   The hoops seem to get in my way....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 2:23 PM

Thanks, Nana

I like to use hoops to keep everything taught, but I have done it free-hand without a hoop as well.  Sometimes you just can't get the hoop situated just right and they do get awkward now and then.

I suffer carpal tunnel with much wrist pain from decades of office work sitting at a computer.  Now and then my hands will cramp from holding the hoop and guiding the background of my working area with my under-hand.  The problem for me is usually lack of movement.  For example holding onto the hoop at the same location for hours, etc.  I am hoping that having the elevated surface off my lap will allow me better control and movement of my under-hand while keeping everything nice and tight, uniform and even.

I actually did place an order for the 18-inch size.  It's a small operation - sounds like a 1-man show.  He is backed up on orders right now, so I'm hoping to receive my new hoop before I'm done piecing the top of my current project.   I am actually excited to see how this works because of the small business aspect of this all as well, not to mention the hand-made in America thing! 

I will let you all know how it works when I receive it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
496 Posts
Points 10,000

Go to the grace company online and look for their Grace Hoop 2....it's square on a stand but it's made so the stand will slide under your chair or recliner even so you can get really close...just a thought...

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

Jenia, I belong to a group on Facebook called "Celebrate Hand Quilting."  Was reading just today where a lady just received hers and others commenting on theirs.  All loved their hoops.  I'm not familiar with this particular hoop so I have no first hand knowledge.  I have a 14 inch round Jasmine hoop for my lap and a 14 inch square Grace floor hoop.  I like both and the one I use depends on the mood I'm in.  But I use the floor hoop for smaller projects that are difficult to hold in my lap.  Based on the comments of the ladies mentioned above, you shouldn't be disappointed in the Barnett.

You mentioned an 18 inch hoop.   I'm wondering if it will be too large to move in your lap.  I was told by my quilting teacher to measure from the bend of my elbow to the curve of my fingers for the size of a hoop.  Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:20 PM

Hi Jane:

Thank you for the information - I was excited about the Facebook group and tried to join, but it says it's a closed group.  I'm not sure how that works, but I clicked on the button that says join group - perhaps they need to approve me before I am allowed into the group.  Anyway I wanted to see the comments on the Barnetts hoop in addition to finding another outlet for ideas and finding like-minded friends.

I am also excited to receive my hoop, but I'm afraid it will be a few weeks.  Harry, the nice gentleman who makes these is so backed up he's 2 weeks behind.  He said mostly because of us nice ladies spreading the word on Facebook!

I wanted the 18-inch because my project is actually done using 15-inch rows and that just sounded convenient. At first I had chosen 16-inch but I didn't think it would have given me enough room to quilt one row at a time.   Also most of my projects are king-size, so I thought the bigger the quilting area the better - the less I have to re-arrange the piece and move the hoop.  We shall see how it works.

I have a pretty good size lap (haha - larger than I want it to be anyway) so I'm not really concerned with the sitting in my lap.  The reason it doesn't concern me is because of the way these are designed.  You don't have to hold up the hoop with your non-stitching hand as the riser takes care of that for you.  My wrist would give out if I had to support a normal 18-inch hoop with one hand while stitching with the other. 

I think I will do a little blog here if it works good.  Kind of like a product review for others to see what I think of it.  So far the customer service has been superb.  Harry communicated to me immediately about the back-order and he was kind enough to add clear-coat option to my order after I had processed the order.  I am sure he will charge me for it, and I fully expect to pay the extra $10, but so many online ordering things are so rigid these days that it's impossible to change orders after you submit them.  So many time things coming in from China and everything is automated so changes are impossible.  I'm so happy this is a small, American, business with a desire to make quality products (or so it seems so far any way).

The measurement tip is so helpful, THANK YOU.  I never had any idea there would be a limit to the size of your hoop based on the size of my arm.  Based on that measurement I should have gotten a 16-inch.   These little tips are just the reason this is such a great little community I am learning so much just in conversations!

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

Jenia, the reason my teacher sited for the measurement is that this is as far as you can reach under and over the hoop.  You can always turn the hoop and quilt the rest of the space.  There must be a lot of quilters out there who quilt quite well using the larger hoop. 

I know how excited you must be.  Let us know about your new hoop. 

Keep trying on Facebook.  I know the membership just reached 500, but wasn't aware it was cut off.  It's a great group of ladies some of which are well known teachers not to mention outstanding quilters.  I'm in awe of some of them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use