Top 10 Posters

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 180
tthomas2 Posted: Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:25 PM

Hi, my name is Trudy in Md.    I just now learning how to quilt..  I made a place mat for my first try and I love it.  I have been looking on U-tube to see what is out there...  Picked up a magazine called Easy Quilts.. boy.. I think I am hooked on quilting... My daughter brought me a new machine for early mothers day present. I am 64 years young.   I had planned on working until this September then retire... But things did not happen that way.. I had to quit to take care of my husband last August...    I have crochet for years.. but I think I found a new hobby, Except now with a fixed income, not sure how much quilts cost to make..  I would like to be able to sell them for extra income, but dont know if that will come.   Sorry I went on so long...   Everyone have a good evening  

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Hi Trudy, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:59 PM

Hi, Trudy, welcome to the group. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:17 PM

Hi Trudy, Welcome. Lots of friendly quilters on this site.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 7:21 PM

Hi Trudy, welcome, you've come to the right place for support in your new found love of quilting, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:37 AM

Hi Trudy welcome to the club. I hope you will enjoy your ttme here with us . Stop and chat often with us .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,680
Diana replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:51 AM

Welcome Trudy,   We enjoy sharing our love of quilting so ask anything you want.  We're glad to help you out.  Enjoy yourself.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,362
Points 37,135
Linda replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:42 AM

Welcome Trudy to your new found love of quilting. Warning: It's an  addition. So all of us addicts are here to help you with any questions you might have. Enjoy!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 180

Thanks, everyone... i am not sure how to post to all...    I just learning..  so I know I will have lots of questions..

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:49 PM

Welcome Trudy.  This is a great group and always full of encouragement.  You will enjoy the time you spend with us and if you're like me, you'll learn a lot.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Trudy. You will love it here and get answers to all your questions here.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,937
Kris replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:16 AM

Welcome Trudy.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 180
tthomas2 replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 8:16 AM

Good Morning,     I have been looking at some of these quilts and I see that they have sewn circles, etc all over the quilt...  I think they call this free sewing.. What I would like to know is how do they get this perfect all thru the quilt?    

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

HI Trudy,

It is called Free Motion Quilting = FMQ. Barbara host a FMQ in groups. There are also really great tutorials. Leah Day has a website which is all free. There are also free tutorials on you tube. I started by watching the you tube tutorials then I went to Leah Day and I also took a class from my LQS (Local Quilt Store). I have quilted all my quilts myself and on a regular domestic sewing machine. I love this part of quilting. It lets me be more artistic although I am still pretty new to it. By the way, the you tube tutorials also show you how to sandwich your layers together for the best results for quilting. I sure cannot afford to have someone else do the quilting with their long arm. It's pretty expensive. If you make some practice sandwiches with old fabric you won't be using on a quilt, you can practice. I also use some old felt someone gave me that is pretty old for the batting instead of using up good batting. Make them about 24X24 or any size that is comfortable for you. The theory is that if you practice for 30 minutes everyday for 21 days, you will catch the bug and get that aha moment. Good luck and ask as many questions as you want.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 10:03 AM

Melissa Halpain:
The theory is that if you practice for 30 minutes everyday for 21 days, you will catch the bug and get that aha moment.

it's not a theory anymore, i've seen the results. when barbara wanted to learn, she practiced every day.  within 6 months her work got very good. 

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use