Top 10 Posters

Suggestions for buying a new sewing/quilting machine

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 80
Cousincinderella posted on Sat, Apr 6 2013 4:10 PM

I am wanting to buy a new sewing/quilting/embroidering machine but don't know where to start.  Would love to hear from you - what did you buy and do you love it, or not so happy.  Would appreciate any comments on purchasing a new machine.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025

Barbara, It is called Top Stitch in Barnett, MO out in Amish Country. So Mid Mo actually. Timothy is the owner.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
52 Posts
Points 845

At our local quilt guild meeting last week, we had an auction to raise funds for our upcoming quilt show.  A past guilder donated a 2004 Brothers Embroidery machine with all the goodies.  I don't know the model but knew is was worth well over $1000.  They started the bidding at $250.  No one was bidding so I raised my paddle.  Another woman started bidding with me and we got it up to $350.  My friend leaned over and whispered "Do you really need that?".  I stopped bidding and later the lady who won came over to me and said thank you for letting her have it, she had always wanted one but was low income.  I was just bidding because no one else was and I knew the value and just couldn't see it going for so low.  I'm glad I stopped and let the lady have it because she was so happy.  I had just planned to resell it anyway and donate the extra money back to the guild. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Great story Robin.  You helped your guild and a fellow quilter at the same time...good job!

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

I have the janome 6500 and when I am doing little pieces I put the single hole plate on and I don't have any problems. I love the 6500 because of auto cutter and deeper throat..

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I bought a Brother Dream Weaver machine as soon as my local dealer got it in.  That was in October 2012 and I love that machine.  It doesn't do embroidery, but it has a huge throat (>11"), so I can easily machine quilt even large quilts on it.  Before I bought it, I studied the brochures on just about every other comparable machine and went and "test drove" everything that was available in my area.  The Brother machine came with every attachment I could think of and even has a dual feed foot (similar to a walking foot but much more adjustable).  I use the machine every day, most days for at least a couple of hours, and have never had a problem with it.

I also have 2 Janome machines and a small Brother and the new one is vastly superior to any of the others,

One piece of advice - no matter what you choose, make sure there is a local dealer that can service the machine.  There's nothing worse than having to send your machine away to get any service done.  It can take weeks and if they don't fix the problem, there's no one to talk to about it.

Good luck with your search.  There's nothing like a new machine!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,445 Posts
Points 116,335

cjmewhi:
One piece of advice - no matter what you choose, make sure there is a local dealer that can service the machine.  There's nothing worse than having to send your machine away to get any service done.  It can take weeks and if they don't fix the problem, there's no one to talk to about it.

I couldn't agree more.. When I bought my Viking nearly 4 years ago it was from a local dealer who did the servicing on site.Rick was great and often made a simple adjustment right then, no charge. Then they sold to Quality Sewing Centers and now they ship the machines out to a central place for servicing. I was without my machine for over two weeks. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use