Top 10 Posters

Suggestions for buying a new sewing/quilting machine

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 80
Cousincinderella posted on Sat, Apr 6 2013 4:10 PM

I am wanting to buy a new sewing/quilting/embroidering machine but don't know where to start.  Would love to hear from you - what did you buy and do you love it, or not so happy.  Would appreciate any comments on purchasing a new machine.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
65 Posts
Points 1,265

The best way to shop for a machine is to "test drive" them.  Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, will have an opinion on what kind of machine you should buy.   Stick with the big names (Bernina, Janome, Husquvarna, Viking).  I would try to avoid a machine made in China.  I have two older Pfaff machines which I dearly love but I'm told the newer ones are not nearly the same quality. 

I currently use a Bernina and love the machine.  I know a lot of people who insist on Bernina for embroidery work.   There are models in a large variety of price ranges which is a real plus. 

Good luck to you!  Be sure to post what you decide and how you like your new machine when you get one!

Jeanne

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 55

Jeanne,  Good advice!  But I do have a question? Is there a simple SEWING machine (without an embroidery/computer function) that has an auto

thread cutter?

Thanks   Jean

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Jean ,I sure there are , when you look go to a shop that has a dealer , you will get all your questions answered there, but by all means write down what kind of bells and whistles you want in your machine ,then test drive them. get one that feel comfortable to you . I personally love Janome Machines.  but my embroidery machine is a Husqvarna.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 7,345
Julienne replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 10:23 AM

Jean,

I swear by my Janome machines. I just purchased the Janome MC11000 SE, which has all the bells and whistles. It  does fantastic embroidery and works like a long arm when you want to quilt with out moving off the table. And of course just sews when you need it to. I refuse to give up my older Janome machine.  But I have 2 other machines that I now think I am going to sell now. I never use them, one is a Brother and the other is a Singer.

Have fun finding your new machine. That is the best part. The 2nd is getting it home and playing with it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:09 AM

I am a Singer girl!  They are resonably priced and mine does everything but pour me my coffee!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,508 Posts
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:23 AM

I have a Bernina record over 30 years old that was my mums and a husqvarna rose both machines i love to bits, the husqvarna rose i brought from ebay since i could never have afforded one like that brand new, the bernina is simple to use and is wonderful still works like a dream and the husqvarna i love for the ease to thread, to wind bobbins its very easy to change feet it can do embroidery but i dont use that part of it the only thing i would have got instead is one with a deeper throat to make it easier to quilt with, the husqvarna i have now had for over 5 years and its still as good as new, I love them both and would never part with either, i would also never buy a brand new machine (great if you have the money i dont) and for the money i could spend i can get a better machine second hand and lots have not had very much wear.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:32 AM

Frances:
I have a Bernina record over 30 years old

Frances,

Which model Bernina do you have?  I have a 930 Record that I bought in 1984.  I love it and won't part with it even though I own a couple newer machines that have more updated features.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,508 Posts
Points 48,175

Sheri,

Mines a bernina 830 record even secondhand they still fetch good money, I think these are built to last.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
2,829 Posts
Points 39,955
ls2116 replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 1:29 PM

I have 6600p among others and I might trade it for a new pffaff because its been chewing my little pieces on reverse, but don't put to much weight in what i'm saying as i'm still getting used to the machine.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
52 Posts
Points 845

Whatever machine you get, I have a Viking Ruby, just be sure they offer free classes to learn the machine with.  I recommend you take them over and over until you understand them.  Being "older" I have the most trouble with the computer programs.  I have to go over and over the directions until I have it down.  They all look so easy watching the demonstrator wiz thru the project.  Sit down and try it yourself.  Try different ones until you find the one you like.  They should be happy to answer all your questions, if not, move on to another retailer.

Good luck, Robin

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 7,345

Robin this is a great idea if you don't want to spend a lot of time trying to learn the machine on your own with the manuals that they come with now a days.  I agree take a class on it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 7,345

My mother in law has a Bernia but I do not know which style and swears by it, But she has a Janome 9000 as well that she will not part with either. She also has a Babylock Serger. She does her quilting and her embroidery and quilting on the Bernia, sewing and patchwork on the Janome when she is not using the Bernia for some reason or another and well we all know what the serger is for. LOL  My Janome 9000 was 2nd hand and still fetched a good dime.  I am sure if I sold it on ebay it would still be worth alot. Not that I am willing to part with it.  

Here in MO there is a Amish store that is a Bernia retail store but he sells all refurbished sewing machines for other manufacturers and they teach you to use them. They are all "Like New" as they fix them to perfect condition before putting them out on the floor.  You can always check with your dealer.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 55

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will let you know if and when the final decision is made, meantime happy quilting.   Jean

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 10:45 AM

Julienne:

Here in MO there is a Amish store that is a Bernia retail store but he sells all refurbished sewing machines for other manufacturers and they teach you to use them. They are all "Like New" as they fix them to perfect condition before putting them out on the floor.  You can always check with your dealer.

Julienne,is this the shop up in  north Mo , Jamestown or Jamesport ,I can't remember the name , I've been to that shop a couple of times ,but I didn't notice any machine,but then again I was not looking, just at fabric and quilts. LOL  .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use