Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D Posted: Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:45 PM

Hi All,

I have a good friend who has requested a Lone Star quilt.  Her sister has one that has been passed down through 3 generations, and my friend really wants one for herself and to pass on to her daughter.

I'm wondering if any of you have a favorite method or pattern you'd recommend I use.  I've been quilting for about 5 years, so I'm not a beginner, but I'm certainly not on an advanced level.  :)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much for all the knowledge I've gotten from all of your posts and pictures!

Beth in SC

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:13 PM

Beth D:
I have a good friend who has requested a Lone Star quilt.  Her sister has one that has been passed down through 3 generations, and my friend really wants one for herself and to pass on to her daughter.

Hi Beth D

I'm with you...I have been quilting awhile and wanted to do a Lone Star quilt but they looked very intimidating to me...all those diamonds...yikes!  When I heard of a pattern that was done with jelly roll strips (preferrably batik bali pop strips) I was willing to give it a try.  It actually wasn't very hard with this method.  The main thing was keeping the strips organized in groups.  The designer is from Eastern Oregon and pretty small scale, but I can vouch for the pattern as being excellent.  Here is a picture of mine (still in the UFO stage, ready for fmq):

If you are interested in this pattern, you can order it on-line from the Pendleton Quilt Works at 

http://www.pendletonquiltworks.com/shop/Patterns/QUILT-PATTERNS/Laughing-Lizzies/p/2--two.htm

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:13 PM

Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine did a Lone Star quilt a few years ago.  It was done in strips & looked not that difficult.  You could probably get the issue info and order back copies from their web sight.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:44 PM

Georgia Bonesteel did the prettiest one I've ever seen it is in one of her lap quilting books.  In Fact  The Book is Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel  printed by Oxmoor House POB 2463 Birimngham AL 35201  Library #ISBN 0-8487-0524-6

Sorry I rotated the pics 3 X's but this is what we end up with.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:41 AM

Beth D:
I'm wondering if any of you have a favorite method or pattern you'd recommend I use.  I've been quilting for about 5 years, so I'm not a beginner, but I'm certainly not on an advanced level.  :)

Beth,

I took a class with Bettina Havig, last year at the NQA show. She has made lots of Lone Star quilts and developed a process that works well. A friend took the class with me, reluctantly, because she had attempted a Lone Star in the past and had difficulty. She loved Bettina's class and easily finished her quilt. I don't believe she has a book on the process, but I would recommend her class, if you ever have the chance. She travels and does a lot of teaching.

Here's her website: http://bettinahavig.com/home 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:14 PM

There is a book called Lone Star Quilts & Beyond, by Jan Krentz.  She does go beyond, with some wonderful ideas, but the basic steps are described  pretty well. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 5:05 PM

Donna B:

Here is a picture of mine (still in the UFO stage, ready for fmq):

Pretty, Donna!  I imagine the challenge with these is getting the center to lie flat.  Yours looks good!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:24 PM

MNnancy:
I imagine the challenge with these is getting the center to lie flat.  

Actually the center didn't turn out too bad...fairly flat.  I'm sure the fmq will control it just fine...whenever I get around to it..lol!

Nancy, be sure and look at the 2013 Oregon Retreat in Groups...I posted pictures from my visit to Beachcomber's Haven on Tuesday.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:29 PM

Fun!  Heading to groups now....

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 8:46 AM

BTW Donna,

I meant to tell you how much I like your Blue Lone Star Quilt.  It is gorgeous.

I'm not a yellow person, but when I saw the one by Georgia Bonesteel...well it has been on my to do list since 1982.  Like my log cabin Christmas quilt it may yet get done.  If I could just complete the other 3 log cabins, I think I would do it next.  I have a couple days work to complete the tops, just need to get busy, get motivated and energized.  LOL, isn't that all our biggest problems?

Once again, your Blue Lone Star is awesome!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:07 AM

I've done a couple small ones.  Kay Wood has an excellent video tutorial on how to match the seams and get that center pieced flat on her blog here. The best advice I got was to take a piece of heavy, tightly woven material (Something that will hold it's shape when steam pressed) and mark your finished diamond size on it with a perminent marker.  Pin it on your ironing board. When you finish your sets, pin them to that template and steam press them so they all come out the same size. Even when you strip piece them, those bias seams can stretch a bit, and this method gets 'em back in line.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:59 AM

The tutorial I mentioned was Spinning Stars. It's an interesting twist on the loan start pattern. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5ynORntGA

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 12:33 PM

Joni:

BTW Donna,

I meant to tell you how much I like your Blue Lone Star Quilt.  It is gorgeous.

Thanks Joni, I hope to get it finished this summer (maybe)...lol.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,875
Points 366,897
Kris replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:03 AM

I made mine by hand using templates and cutting with scissors. I started quilting it a few years ago but haven't gotten very far.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 7:41 AM

Kris, that lone star quilt is beautiful.  I think the blues and yellows are my favorite for this.  Are you hand quilting it?     Ginny

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use