Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960
Debbie-do Posted: Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:26 AM

Help! I am so stuck. Every time I pick up my GFG quilt to stitch on it I get so discouraged. I'd like to hand stitch around the inside of each hexi but it looks horrible and is frustrating with all the rearranging of the quilt as I do it. Please please please advise me!  It's sitting in a corner gathering cat hair   :o(

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:43 PM

Hi Debbie-do!  I am a hand quilter myself.  Do you have the quilted basted and in a quilt hoop?  The hoop helps stabiize it.  then go from center out like any other quilt.  e-mail me at floscookin@g-mail.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:48 PM

Debbie honey,

I dont know what to advise most of the ones ive seen are exactly as you are doing it, im pretty certain you said before you had it in a hoop, have you hand quilted before or is this a first.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960

The quilt is thread basted and it was in a floor hoop but I took it out to see if it would be easier.  I don't know how to change direction without turning the quilt so the floor stand made it impossible.  I've only done a little bit of hand quilting and the project with the most on it was a pillow cover so I could move it all I wanted.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960

oh btw, this one is large lap / twin sized.

Southwest of San Antonio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 295

Hi Debbie--I am a hand quilter.  I sit with the frame in my lap--the stand bothered me.  Then I can move the frame as I wish and from time to time, straighten things out. Are you having a problem keeping your stitching lines straight? I either lightly mark mine or I use the 1/4 inch masking tape made especially for this purpose. Keep practicing, you'll get it.  You could try a little smaller frame, too. Mine only measures about 14 inches in diameter. I have done a king sized quilt with it. Good luck.

Ann Eliz

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705

We should put it on a larger frame and get several of us sitting around it, quilting as our grandmothers did. Wouldn't that be fun? I would love doing that!!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 295

Hi Michelle--We do that one day each week at my church---what fun. We take a coffee (snack) break at ten o'clock and then eat lunch at 12 noon. Then we leave at three o'clock. What goes on between those times is anyone's guess, but we all love it--there are only about 8 of us left out of a dozen, but we would love to have more. All proceeds from our quilting projects go to the church and we've been doing this since 1996 (when I retired). You are so right!!!!

AnnEliz from Elysburg, PA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:55 PM

Great idea, Michelle.  This world would be a better place to live in if this was done on a regular  basis.  I know lots of church groups still do this plus of course, the Amish but it would be great if we all could be involved in something like that.

Debbie-do 

Your quilt is beautiful and I wish you good luck in finishing it.  I made a GFG quilt but chickened out on the hand sewing and it is totally pieced and quilted  by machine. Thus the name of it is "NOT Your Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt. :-)

Marge P

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:56 PM

Great idea, Michelle.  This world would be a better place to live in if this was done on a regular  basis.  I know lots of church groups still do this plus of course, the Amish but it would be great if we all could be involved in something like that.

Debbie-do 

Your quilt is beautiful and I wish you good luck in finishing it.  I made a GFG quilt but chickened out on the hand sewing and it is totally pieced and quilted  by machine. Thus the name of it is "NOT Your Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt. :-)

Marge P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 3:00 PM

Sorry for the duplicate post - the system said it hadn't posted so I tried it again - same QCA message came up again so I just logged out.  There it was on the home page that it had posted and I looked at the thread and sure enough, there two times.

This site does leave a lot to be desired at times.

MargeP

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960

Well... so far the only machine stitching has been sewing the borders on which is why I would like to hand quilt it.  I'd like to do this one by myself but I have a bunch more 'flowers' made and ready to stitch to background hexis for another large lap quilt..

Is it possible to stich around a hexi without spinning the quilt?  I'll have to try it in a regular hoop.  Too many hours have been spent in front of the tv without a needle and thread in hand!

Bev hand quilts, maybe she'd like to start a quilting circle with us!  Anyone else in the San Antonio area intersted??

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:10 AM

Hey Debbie,

I actually have a frame that I put my quilts on.  When I first started quilting, I didn't think the hoops looked very sturdy. 

It is hard for me to change directions. Horizontal is the worst direction for me!  Stitching away from me - forget it!  I found my best technique is to quilt with the stitches/needle going toward me.  It's a lot of starting & stopping, hiding knots, but when I'm done no one knows it's several lengths of thread.

I work in only a small area at a time.  Even though the frame gives about an 18" wide work area, I only use the bottom (or closest to me) 6-8" of the work area.  I find that if I'm not stretching to reach my work area I get a better stitch evenness.

Beve

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:13 AM

Debbie,

Please go and look at the great hexagon quilt along theres also the great hexagon quilt along 2 but you want the original, half way down the page is someone quilting there GFG, and giving pointers it might help.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:46 AM

Debbie, keep us posted on how you get this figured out ,I am just doing a small wall hanging but I'd lie to do it all by hand even the quitling so will be intrested to see how it goes. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use