Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:08 PM

Oh Jenia...I'm certainly sure I've been there and done it also.

Thanks for not getting angry, my post sounded harder than I meant it to be...the problem of not hearing voice makes it so sometimes.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:44 PM

Hi Jenia,

Here is my two cents on the subject.  I have been "comissioned" to make several quilts. I ALWAYS require the person to go shopping for the fabric with me and pay for it when it is bought. I am very careful to only buy what is needed for the pattern, backing, and binding. Then I negotiate a per hour price, and keep track of my time on a log sheet. I treat it like a time card. My price range has been from $1 an hour for good friends, to 5$ an hour for aquaintenances. I also have them pay for the quilting if I take it to be quilted on a longarm. I have also barted a quilt for services. My most recent, a king size quilt, plus pillow shams and throw pillows for a good friend of mine, I received free auto repair for life, or as long as he is physically capable of working on cars. He is a diesel mechanic and his joints are all being replaced one by one, he will soon be the bionic man, so he may have gotten the better end of the deal.

Quilting is also fun for me and I would be making quilts regardless.

I have heard that neck tie quilts can be very difficult to make. Good luck, and have fun!

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 10:09 AM

Debbie:
 she charges 10 cents an inch

This is the price I've heard quoted for hand quilting from a couple different sources. The purpose of charging by the inch is to account for the density of the quilting. Stitch in the ditch with quilting every 2-3 inches would charge less than more elaborate feathers, echo quilting or stippling that is more closely stitched. Time doesn't account for the speed of quilting; some people can hand quilt faster than others.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 845

My friend took her finished top/batting/backing to the Amish ladies.  They charged her $4 an inch.  She had a queen size and felt it was worth the $ she spent.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 1:36 PM

Roblynn:
They charged her $4 an inch.

Wow, sounds pricey! Unless, you're talking quilt size dimensions. The .10 cents per inch refers to the length of quilting throughout the quilt. The closer the quilting, the more inches, the more the cost of the quilting. Less quilting, less cost.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,945

dcpizzalady58:

If you don't charge enough, you will be selling yourself short, and therefore, putting a cheaper price on your talent.  People that don't quilt don't understand the time, effort, supplies, ripping, and re-sewing that takes place in a quilt.  Ask yourself this question.  Would you be happy selling your quilt for minimum wage?  Why shouldn't you make money on the quilt, when the reseller is going to do the same without any work involved.  Be proud of your work and don't sell yourself short.  I've been advised that if I put a price on my work,, should I wish to sell it, and it did not sell, to then raise the price.   Sometimes people feel that if it's not expensive, it's not worth having.  I live in a tourist community and tourists don't think twice about spending $4,500.00 on a watercolor or oil painting, but that's because they see it as art.  People that don't quilt don't easily see our talent as art, although it has much the same value, sweat, tears, heart and soul.  Don't sell yourself short, or in the future, you will never be able to demand the price you deserve for your work. Good luck with your decision

dcpizzalady58

I don't know a lot about a lot but I do know that quilting is an art that isn't seen as an art by everybody. Many see it simply as sewing. DCPizzaLady is 100% correct. It takes so much talent, practice, time, patience, attention, seam ripping, cleaning, etc. to make a quilt.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use