Top 10 Posters

Do any folks here sell the quilts they make?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:32 AM

I have been asked to make a quilt to be sold by a friend. I usually give mine to family and friends or keep them as we have a 5 bedroom house that needs a quilt in every room, don't you know.

I just wonder if anyone does this for a living, or just a little side cash?  How do you put a value on your time.  I enjoy it so much, it's not like work.  I couldn't possibly rate my time at my actual work rate that would make them prohibitively expensive I would think.

I am an accountant so I understand the value of inventory and the cost to create a quilt in material, but what about all the hours it takes to make one?  Is there a going rate?

I do all mine by hand even the quilting portion, so they take a little longer.  Is that worth more or less?  People have commented that my stitching is wonderful, so I don't make it flimsy if you wonder, they are good small solid evenly spaced stitches.

It seems like an odd question, I'm sorry.  But this is probably the best place to ask because of so many like-minded folks here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 295

Hi Jenia--We hand quilt at my church--we do not make quilts. However, we charge 65 cents a yard of thread used in the hand quilting. Sometimes we add a little if the patterns are more complex and more quilting is needed. I have been told to double the cost of supplies used to reach a labor price. Also if the fabric is difficult to work with and we happen to break a lot of needles--then we charge a little more. Sometimes just the cost of quilting reaches $350 to $400. Hope this helps a little.

GOOD LUCK
AnnEliz, Elysburg, PA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 1:34 PM

Thank you, AnnEliz all the information I have received here is definitely helpful.  I still don't even know if I'm going to do this I probably wouldn't have it done in the time constraints needed, but for future reference all of this information is great.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 2:56 PM

Jenia,

I love to hand quilt and for myself I don't think I could charge enough for all the time, material and prayers that go into each hand quilted project. All my hand quilting goes to family and VERY CLOSE friends only.

I'm fortunate that I have an awesome lady who does machine quilting in her home, very reasonable and beautiful.  The shops charge by the inch, by the pattern, and thread is of course additional.  Seems everyone is different.

OOPS! AND NO I DO NOT SELL MY QUILTS...sorry forgot the question I was trying to answer.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use