Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 230
Robin Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:18 AM

Wanted to say Hi. I am glad to be here and hope to learn more about quilting. I do quilt, but need a lot more experience :) My husband and I also dabble in antique/vintage sewing machines. If we find them cheap we buy them and he restores them. We have tried to sell them, but that hasn't worked out well, so we wind up keeping and using them!! I love the old machines.

Thanks,

Robin

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:28 AM

Hi robin, welcome to the group.  We have quite a few members that own feather weights.  They are great little machines.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 230
Robin replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:00 AM

Hi, and thanks! I would love to get my hands on a Featherweight but they are very pricey! I have two of it's big sister the Singer 301 and love them.  That is one thing I need, a very light weight machine so I can start attending some quilt classes.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 525
Jeana replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:29 PM
Welcome to QCA Robin!

Jeana

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:48 PM

robin, the group is having a retreat in october on the oregon coast.  i think patti has a couple of openings left.   we would love to have you join us, if only for a day.   it is nice to put a face and voice to the names.   and we have a terrific amount of fun.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,037
Points 169,813
Marie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:29 PM

Hi Robin, welcome.  My vintage machine arrived yesterday from an ebay win.  Let me know if you find a 1937 model and would like to pass it on.  It needs to be in working condition.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:23 PM

Welcome to QCA! 

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,114
Points 110,395

Robin

Welcome. Lots of Pacific Northwest folks here. Mid October, 20 QCA quilters from across the country will be gathering on the Oregon Coast near Lincoln City for a quilters retreat. I believe the retreat is full at this point but you might check it out. Maybe you could just drop by for a visit?

Go to Groups, QCA Retreats, then click on Discussions (you may have to subscribe but there is no cost), scroll to 2013 Oregon Coast and you can read all about it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:33 PM

Robin, 

Welcome to QCA!  Have you tried selling your Featherweights on eBay?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 230
Robin replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 5:32 PM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and information! I am only an hour away from Lincoln City so will check out the retreat.

Actually, like I said, I don't have any Featherweights :) They are really expensive. I have not tried selling the other machines on Ebay because the sellers on Ebay have bad reputations for the most part. Some call the old Singers "industrial strength" and it's misleading. Although the older machines seem to do much better on heavier work and layers. It's hard to ship a machine made out of cast iron because the bed can break of not packed well. I bought a Singer Red Eye once that arrived broken and it about broke my heart to see it that way. 

My main machines I use are a newer Janome which is a mid priced one, My Singer 301's, a Singer 306 (which I might sell), an 80's Singer I call my beater machine....got it for $5.00, and a wonderful Pfaff 1215 from the early 80's (I love it). We have other Singers for sale on Craigslist.

We went on a Quilt Run and I just turned in my Challenge Quilt. The winner gets a Janome Jem Gold which weighs only 16 pounds. If I get that I will be going to some classes since I can carry that one, so cross your fingers for me!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 5:45 PM

Robin welcome tothe club , .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

Hi Robin, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:06 AM

Robin:
The winner gets a Janome Jem Gold which weighs only 16 pounds. If I get that I will be going to some classes since I can carry that one, so cross your fingers for me!!!

Wishing you luck towards this win!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:02 PM

Welcome to QCA Robin!  

I'm an Oregon girl too, now living in Winthrop, WA...but at the moment I am visiting my sisters in Oregon City.  We are heading for Depoe Bay tomorrow...through the storms and all...lol.  I'll be at the Retreat this fall, so look forward to the possibility of meeting you there!

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 6:18 PM

Welcome, Robin!

I live in Twisp WA and am Donna B's snow dyeing fabric buddy - we have had fun this past month or so learning how to dye fabric with snow.  I also will be at the retreat in October and it would be great if you could at least come and visit a day if there are no openings for overnight stays.  It would be nice to meet you.

My DH bought several Featherweights on eBay about 10 years or so ago.  The plan was to fix them and resell them.  Well, that hasn't happened and when we moved in 2005, we boxed them up and here they sit in the computer room, still unboxed.  Have thought of selling some parts on eBay but haven't done that either.

I have my own Featherweight which is off limits to DH - LOL -  I learned how to sew on one many, many years ago and my Mom traded it in to buy a Singer Slant-O-Matic back in the 60's.  I was so sad to see it go but I have my own now, just like hers, with the Scroll face plate which I love the looks of.  I think "Queenie" was "born" in 1947 - I know I have the information around here somewhere.

Enjoy this site and post often.

MargeP

• | Post Points: 80
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use