Page 3 of 6 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:42 PM

MNnancy:
Sandy, what machine do you have with a 10" throat?

Nancy, I have a Viking Sapphire.  I've only had it about 5 months and I have had some problems with it.  The Sapphires are reasonably priced ($1300 - $1700 depending on model) and have several nice features but be sure you have a good dealer close by.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:49 PM

sandy, what kind of problems have you had with your saffire?      mine has been good so far.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 7:05 PM

gini, I must have gotten a lemon.  When I would try to FMQ it go along fine for a few stitches then the thread would lock up in the bobbin area and I would have to cut the thread to get it loose.  Since the dealer I bought it from went out of business right after I bought it, I took it to the nearest dealer about 35 miles from here.  They did some minor tension adjustments and said it would be ok now.  The first time I tried it a couple of days later it did the same thing.  Took it back to the out of town dealer and paid them $117 for a service on a 6 week old machine.  They told me it was fixed and that if I would only use 50 wt Metrosene Plus polyester thread it would work find.  Worked fine for an hour.

A couple of weeks ago I met a nice lady (former viking salesperson) who is now working for the local Pfaff dealer.  She worked with it some and had the same problem.  I then paid their service tech $75 to fix it.  He said it had something to do with the hook and loop (?) being out of adjustment.  I've only FMQ'd on it for about an hour since then and I did not have any problems but I'm not going to say it's fixed until I've spent more time FMQing.

I had a Viking for 10 years previously and never had a problem with it so even though I knew the dealer was closing, I had no qualms buying the new Viking.  I certainly hope it is fixed now because I think my chances of getting anything done under warranty are non-existent.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 7:29 PM

sandy, that's bad.  have you tried writing to the viking company and tellling them what's happened?   if you have documents of   the service charges, it might help    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:03 PM

Sandy, what a bad experience.  I hope it's fixed now.  How frustrating to want to sew and not be able to because of technical difficulties, and then to not be able to find someone who can fix the problem.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 9:28 PM

Sandy

I would definitely be getting in touch with the actual Viking service dept.  It is very unprofessional to charge for service on a machine that is essentially brand new.  I wouldn't think the company would want that kind of reputation.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:49 AM

MNnancy:

I was looking, AGAIN, at those Grace frames on which you can put any domestic machine. They are much more affordable than something like the HQ16 setup at my LQS.  Although I love my Bernina, it has a ridiculously small throat.  What types of DSMs are dependable, not too expensive, capable of doing free motion, and have a decent throat space?  I found a listing for the Pinnacle Grace frame sold with a Janome 1600 with 9" throat for under $3000.  I think some of you have spoken favorably about the Janome 1600, but is 9" enough on a frame?

Nancy,

I have a Babylock QCP that has a 9" throat on a New Joy Magic frame. The frame and machine cost $2,000. The machine works great on the frame. I have the frame set up at 10 feet but it can go to 12feet. I don't have enough room for the full length.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:42 PM

Kris:
I have a Babylock QCP that has a 9" throat on a New Joy Magic frame.

Kris, did you purchase the whole set-up through your Babylock dealer or put it together yourself?  Do you have a stitch regulator?

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:42 PM

Kris:
The frame and machine cost $2,000. The machine works great on the frame.

Oooo, I could make that work!  I am now very optimistic that I will soon own a quilting frame with a dedicated DSM. Before I was thinking I would have to remortgage the house to get a big setup which didn't make any sense since I don't intend to machine quilt for others as a business.  The computerized models might be nice, but if I'm going to let the computer stitch for me, I might as well take it to someone else.  I look forward to doing some hands-on freestyling! There will be a lot of vendors at the MN Quilt Show this summer, so I hope to see and maybe test-drive some of these affordable models.

Kris, I'll echo Sandy's question.  Does yours have a stitch regulator?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:50 PM

Sandy H.:
Kris, did you purchase the whole set-up through your Babylock dealer or put it together yourself?  Do you have a stitch regulator?

Sandy, Nancy,

yes I did buy the set from the Babylock dealer. I bought a quilter's cruise control from all brands a few months later. It's not a true stitch regulator but it does help to keep stitches even if I don't go too fast.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 9:05 PM

Kris, thanks for the additional info.  So then the price is up to....?  Hope I'm not being too nosy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 9:32 PM

The quilter's cruise control is $499. They offer coupon codes monthly in their newsletter.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:35 PM

Kris, thank you for sharing this info.  I'm with Nancy ... I can now see a frame and dedicated DSM in my future.  How exciting to think of getting all these quilt tops quilted.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:14 PM

You're welcome Sandy. I thought I would never own a frame but now I do and it really makes a difference. Even DH has taken a turn on it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:30 PM

sgillet.. I have a brother 4000 D And I luv it.. this is my second brother embroidery machine.. and they are great.. I also have 2 Janome sewing macines and I love those too...lol... Im spoiled to have embroidery and sewing macines.. but I sometimes I like to do both at same time.. thats what is nice about embroidery mqachines these days.. they can run for awhile without us and we can do other things..lol.. I have had my 4000 D for about 2 yrs and I have about 22 million stitches on it.. yes thats all embroidery...lol.. And I dont have a buisness..loll... I just do it for fun..

Good luck with your search.. It really is fun trying them all out.. I personally like the way brothers embroider.. but thats only my opion...lol..

Page 3 of 6 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use