sewing machine reviews

Page 6 of 6 (89 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,930
Sharon replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:50 PM

I just found this discussion tonight -- lots of great info. I am really sorry to hear about all the trouble with the Viking machine. I wonder if the company was bought out or something. I got had my first Viking in the mid-70's and had it for over 20 years. Then I traded it for another Viking 13 years ago. Other than a regular tune up now and then, they never had to go to the shop. But now I'll be sure to shop around and do a lot of research if I ever need to get a new machine.

Sharon

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 7:44 PM

sharon, i have a ten year old designer 1 and a two year old sapphire.   i haven't had one problem with  either of the machines and i love them.   i take that back,   the first repairman i found here in idaho, broke a part inside my designer.    that's the only time it hasn't worked.  it's fine now.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 9:07 PM

Sharon

I think Viking was bought by a different company a year or so ago.  I understand from a Viking dealer that they have been having problems with the customer service lately and she hopes that they will improve with that soon.  But after looking at several different machines and companies I opted to go with Bernina at this time.  I hope that Viking get their problems worked out because I agree that they had an excellent reputation until recently.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:21 PM

Kris:
I've been looking at the Bernina website. I like the 820.

Whoa, you go girl!  That's a nifty machine.  I wish the price wasn't so steep.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:22 PM

Judy Iliff:
I, however, have the MC6600P which I dearly love! It is so easy to use and has everything I wanted in a machine - including being able to drop the feed dogs. :-)

Judy, what kind of throat space does the MC6600 have?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,826
Points 352,617
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 4:12 AM

MNnancy:
Kris:
I've been looking at the Bernina website. I like the 820.

Whoa, you go girl!  That's a nifty machine.  I wish the price wasn't so steep.

Nancy,

just looking. This one is out of my reach at the moment and probably will be for a long time (unless I win the lottery).

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:52 AM

BABY LOCKS

My LQS is a big dealer for Baby Locks, embroidery and Quilting!  Please I need imput on this machine, looking purchasing a machine before the year is out...I hope!  Sept is my goal month.  I positively drool when I see these machines and what they can do, want to spend a day using a couple just for the thrill.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:16 AM

Joni

I have heard really good things about BabyLocks and would have considered buying one if the dealer had been just a little closer.  Good luck on your search and hope you find the machine of your dreams.   I found a machine of my dreams but the price was way steep.  Maybe some day.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Nancy - I have the MC6600P.  It has a 9" throat

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 2:56 PM

Ladies

I have owned numerous sewing machines over the years but this Bernina is absoulutely awesome.  It has the nicest stitches I have ever had on a machine.  And I now have the Patchwork foot...1/4 in ft with the guide.... and I think the foot alone was almost worth the price of the machine..   Piecing almost does itself.  I love it....

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,826
Points 352,617
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 4:52 PM

Thanks for the review Nana. I've heard great things about Bernina. I'm leaning towards one when I'm ready to get a new machine.

I used to love my Pfaff but since I took it the the local sewing machine dealer for a tune up (they sell Bernina and Babylock) it hasn't been the same. I don't think the person who worked on it knew what he was doing. I plan to take it to the nearest Pfaff dealer to see if they can get it back to its normal self.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:44 PM

Kris

It has gotten so specialized that you almost have to take a machine to a dealer/service dept that works on that brand specifically.  It used to be if you could work on one brand you could work on all of them.  Not so much anymore.   But I really do love this machine and I know that it will do a lot of things that I haven't figured out yet.  And I haven't even tried the embroidery unit yet...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Babylocks for Joni. I have a Babylock Ellegante computerized, embroidery, quilting sewing machine. I love this machine. I started out with Singers when they were good Singers, Kenmore, Brother, Janomes, Brother and then the Babylock. The embroidery is awesome. You can download designs from your pc, use designs on cards, designs on the embroidery machine or make your own. There is software for digitizing to make your own (I haven't gone there at all). The machine threads itself, has over 500 decorative and utility stitiches on it, alphabets, built in thread cutter, tons of bells and whistles.

I like the Babylock line. I'm debating if I should use the Ellegante just for embroidery and getting a new machine that is more for quilting with the larger neck. I embroider and quilt so I could have two machines going at once and do laundry and paint the house and shingle the roof...lol.

What brands would anyone suggest for a quilting machine for about $1500? Babylock makes the Quest which I've looked at. I'm not familiar with Bernina but always heard they were very good for quilting.

I also have my Minnie....she's a 55 year old Singer Featherweight and she's such a charm to play with. She loves to sew.

North of Boston MA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I have the opportunity to purchase a KenQuilt with 12' frame, bobbin winder and all for next to nothing.  I have not seen it yet but can you tell me anything about the frame?  It is an hours + drive away and I just want to know what to expect.  Did I say dirt cheap. $350 for all.   As far as age the 84 yo lady said it was old.    Please reply to asmith65 at Windstream dot net.    Thanks. Angela

• Filed under:
Page 6 of 6 (89 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use