How much do I charge??

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr Posted: Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:23 PM

A coworker of mine asked that I make a Winnie the Pooh baby quilt for her. I have no idea what to charge. The total cost of fabric, backing, batting is $50. Any ideas on how to come up with a price would be appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 6,115
Phyllis replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:55 PM

Don't how much you should charge but I love the quilt.  I love the fabric, was it a quilt or did you choose it all?  Great job.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:06 PM

Hi Kim,    I was always told that double to triple the amount that materials and supplies cost.  I would think if it was a complicated pattern, triple....otherwise, double or something in between.  If it's a very good friend, what you charge is up to you.  I know I don't take special orders anymore because it becomes too much like a job.  Most people don't realize how expensive fabric has become and the work involved.  Your quilt is beautiful and love you color selections. 

I don't know if this has helped, but just a suggestion.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Diana:
I know I don't take special orders anymore because it becomes too much like a job.  Most people don't realize how expensive fabric has become and the work involved

Diana, that sure is the truth!  
Few people realize how expensive this hobby is. I had a request from a cousin wanting me to make a quilt for a friend of hers. When I told her  how much just the fabric would cost, she about dropped her teeth. (really, literally) Then asked me if I could just make it from scraps I had on hand as "that wouldn't cost anything".  I didn't.
I've made lap quilts for charity, immediate  family members and close friends, as gifts and was delighted to do so. My sister in law, last time they visited, was admiring my quilts and asked if I would make her a lap quilt and she'd pay for it. I simply handed her a quilt  I'd just finished and said "happy birthday, Christmas etc etc.  (she takes it everywhere they travel-that made me feel good).  I won't make a quilt on consignment. Like Diana said, too much like a job and not much fun and very little return on time.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:43 PM

This was a pattern I found in a charm pack book. I picked the fabrics some of which I had on hand and others I got on eBay. The size is 39X43. I saw somewhere else to double or triple. Doesn't $150 seem high? I am making another one now because I got 24 squares from the pooh fabric, but using different colors. My mom has a gammill so I will quilt myself. The second is going quicker than first..... 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:49 PM

Judy,    I love quilting but when I want to and as much as I want to.   I have baby quilts on hand so that when someone I hear of needs one, I give them one.  I try to keep sofa throw size quilts on hand as well.  Great last minute gift and already in the closet just waiting for a home.  I have one that is going to go to a niece when I go up this summer.  It was supposed to be a bridal shower, but the wedding was called off and they broke up.  She'll need a bit of cheering up and I know this will do it for her.  I also make a lot of charity quilts for hospice, nursing home, etc.  I have a number of tops ready to be sandwiched.  I tie them because it's easier for me than the quilting part.  This is the fun part.

Diana in East Tn.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 414
Points 9,060
Pamela replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:55 PM

So true, fabric is expensive, and the time to create the quilt, the thread, batting, everything. I made a redwork block of the month wallhanging that I displayed on the wall of my office at work. A co-worker asked me what I'd charge to make one that he could give to his mom for Christmas. I told him that he couldn't afford it. I explained that I had spent a year doing the embroidery, plus it had both hand and machine quilting. I said that I didn't have the time to commit to a project that he wouldn't likely pay the price. He pressed the idea and I said I wouldn't do it for less than $500, for all the time involved. He was shocked, figuring $50 would have been a high price. I laughed.

I wouldn't begin making a quilt for someone until a price was settled on. Recently, I turned down my nephew's wife to make a quilt from their baby's clothes. She likes my quilts and wanted to ask family before consigning a quilt. I told her to go with the consigner.

Judy-your cousin must think scraps have no value? Quilters don't throw away scraps; they're too valuable. How many of us have purchased scraps at yard sales, flea markets or guild garage sale events? I have.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 414
Points 9,060
Pamela replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 4:04 PM

Kim-$150 doesn't seem high for a baby quilt, depending on the size. I recently had a quilt appraised that I donated for a charity raffle event. It was not even twin size and valued at $225. Appraised value is the current cost of replacement. That would be the cost I'd give to sell it at. The charity raffle brought $190., not even what it was worth.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Pamela:
udy-your cousin must think scraps have no value? Quilters don't throw away scraps; they're too valuable. How many of us have purchased scraps at yard sales, flea markets or guild garage sale events? I have.

I love browsing the thrift stores for fabric. It's like a treasure hunt. But mostly I get fabrics on sale and, too often, full price. Not this year. Belt has been tightened, self control is in place and I'm only shopping my stash! (we'll see how long that lasts! LOL)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 4:32 PM

I just enjoy the process of making a quilt. i usually give them for gifts but this co-worker has seen some of my stuff and asked if I would make her one. She already gave me $100 to put towards fabric and I am pretty sure she knows how much they cost. My quilts aren't perfect so I don't want to overcharge her but I don't want to lowball the price either because then the whole office will be waiting in line for one and the fun of it will be gone. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 145
Points 23,795

Kim, I do a lot of quilting by commission and the following are the rules I use to determine my price:

• I figure yardage and multiple the cost of purchasing that yardage [including backing and batting] at regular retail {because you can't be sure that you will get it on sale} by 3.  This gives me wiggle room to include my thread and any other expenses.  The factor of 3 gives me something for my time.
  • I quote the final figure to the customer before we start and I get at least half the final figure before I start the project.  This means my fabric is paid for and in the event that the customer changes their mind, I am not out the cost of the project.
  • Balance is due at the time of completion.
  • There are times when I feel that this figure may be too much and I will round down, but usually I try to stand firm with that $$ amount.
  • If I end up with a lot of scraps from the way the pieces are cut, I may also use this as a way to recalculate the price.  Ex: if the pieces are 4.5" squares, you will have a decent piece at the end of the WOF strip which will be available for another project.

Hope this helps.

The quilt is adorable and you did a nice job.  Don't feel guilty charging what is appropriate.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use