Top 10 Posters

Is this something anyones thinking of doing.

Page 9 of 10 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 138 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,395
Julienne replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:10 PM

Nana:

Melody

Paper piecing really isn't hard.   After you get a couple blocks under your belt you will wonder what you were afraid of.    We will help you along the way and I think you will be just fine.

I feel the same way Mel, I don't paper piece at all due to fear. All my quilts and such have never been pieced in 25 years. I am willing to try. Very excited.

Julienne - Mid Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 818
Points 16,280
Sue replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:12 PM

That's the book Julienne!  I expect mine to be in the mail tomorrow, I'm so excited, doing the little happy dance.

In the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 818
Points 16,280
Sue replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:14 PM

Julienne:

Nana:

Melody

Paper piecing really isn't hard.   After you get a couple blocks under your belt you will wonder what you were afraid of.    We will help you along the way and I think you will be just fine.

I feel the same way Mel, I don't paper piece at all due to fear. All my quilts and such have never been pieced in 25 years. I am willing to try. Very excited.

Melody and Julienne, there are some very easy learning paper pieced blocks on the Carol Doak website and on her group site on Yahoo.  Give one of them a try, once you try it, you'll love it!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,395
Julienne replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:20 PM

I would love to work on this as a group. I just need to get more fabric. Oh how DF will be so happy. LOL

Julienne - Mid Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,395
Julienne replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:21 PM

Sue:

Julienne:

Nana:

Melody

Melody and Julienne, there are some very easy learning paper pieced blocks on the Carol Doak website and on her group site on Yahoo.  Give one of them a try, once you try it, you'll love it!

This is going to be so fun!

Julienne - Mid Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 655
Points 11,290
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:23 PM

I just saw some of the videos on paper piecing and as long as you have the 1/4 ruler and one a thin piece of cardboard, like the ones that fall out of the magazines, it's really easy. One that I am working on right now I wrote the color that would be for each area on the pattern  and this has helped me a ton.   

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 655
Points 11,290
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:28 PM

Thanks Nana,

Now I understand.

I think I will sit this one out as I have too many other projects I need to be done, like yesterday ..((sigh)).

You all have fun, it looks like a wonderful quilt !!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 818
Points 16,280
Sue replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:42 PM

zoetc49:

I just saw some of the videos on paper piecing and as long as you have the 1/4 ruler and one a thin piece of cardboard, like the ones that fall out of the magazines, it's really easy. One that I am working on right now I wrote the color that would be for each area on the pattern  and this has helped me a ton.   

You are so right Zoe, the 1/4" ruler and the "postcard" help so much!  I have glued two cards together to make them stronger, and have used them until one of the sides has curled. LOL  Trim time!

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:16 PM

Ok guys now I am confused.   I have been paper piecing for several years now and have never used a post card for anything.   What are you using the post card for????

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:27 PM

Nana the card is for folding the seam line to cut the seam allowance.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:31 PM

Just ordered the book, suppose to be here by Friday

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:30 PM

I have never used a card to fold the seam line.  Don't really understand the need.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,618
Points 48,375
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:45 PM

I was taught using the card but don't use it any more.  When I started quilting and taking classes, one of my early lessons was paper piecing. Regular piecing was intimidating to me and paper piecing was  all I did for quite a while!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 8:18 AM

I have never done it that way either,

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 20,740

Nana, I think it's just a tad quicker using the card if you're used to doing it that way.  I do both methods since I don't always have a card handy, but I do prefer the card if I have one.  I use greeting cards normally.  I put the card down on the line I'm about to fold, then fold and slap the ruler up against it...  For me, it's just quicker.  I use VERY thin newsprint, so if I just folded that, I would have to be slightly slower or more careful when folding and also when placing the ruler.  With the card there, I can fold quickly (because I know the card is there in just the right spot guiding the fold) and then just slap the ruler up against it and slice away.  

Kris, is there any new fabric line out that you just love that you could splurge on for this project?  That's always a good motivator for me.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Page 9 of 10 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use