Top 10 Posters

Is this something anyones thinking of doing.

Page 4 of 10 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 138 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,737
Points 436,785
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 6:48 PM

The sampler quilts are a great way to try new things.  It gives you a taste of just about any piecing method but you only have the one block to do.   I would love to get a set of civil war FQs to use in this quilt.   I don't have civil war fabrics in my stash but I would love to do at least one quilt in these fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,460
Jacy replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 7:01 PM

The nice thing when several people are working on the same quilt is that you can ask questions and get help from others.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 904
Points 17,135

Karla:

ls2116:

Looks great though some of the blocks look tough for me.  I've not done anything thay have curves or that look like a mariners compass.

I haven't either, Is, but I'm thinking that I want to stretch my comfort zone.

I'm in with you, Karla and ls. Never did curves, etc.  But I enjoy the challenge of something new.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 825
Points 16,405
Sue replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:04 PM

Carol from Pittsburgh:

Karla:

ls2116:

Looks great though some of the blocks look tough for me.  I've not done anything thay have curves or that look like a mariners compass.

I haven't either, Is, but I'm thinking that I want to stretch my comfort zone.

I'm in with you, Karla and ls. Never did curves, etc.  But I enjoy the challenge of something new.

Curves are not that hard to do, the thing to remember is to sew really really slow when doing them, and don't pin....well maybe one at the beginning.  Instead use registration snips.  Make tiny cuts at the quarter, half way and three quarter point on both pieces.  Then you will know that you are doing it correctly when they meet.  If you want to try one now, cut out a drunkards path that finishes 5" square.  The curves will look like they will never meet but they will.  Put the pie on top and the crust on the bottom and sew slow.  I'll see if I can find the video that shows how to do this.  It may take some time, but I'll find it.

In the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 825
Points 16,405
Sue replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:20 PM

OK, here is a u-tube video of piecing a drunkards path block. I hope I did this right with the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOGt4cRdJE

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,933
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:29 PM

Would it be bad to do a Union Sampler if you've always lived in the South? .... Just kidding. I'll try to do it with everyone. I agree with Nana that Samplers can really stretch our skills. I know they do mine!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,737
Points 436,785
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:50 PM

Sue

I like to put a few pins in my curves.  I seem to have better luck that way.   I have tried it both with and without pins and have found that if I pin the ends and the middle then work between the pins I have better luck easing my curve.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,737
Points 436,785
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:51 PM

Roxanna

That's ok I have always lived in the south too.   I will call mine the loyal Rebel soldier....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 825
Points 16,405
Sue replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:02 PM

Nana

I also tried it both ways and now I find it much easier to not pin.  Using the snips I have no trouble matching.  I also use a tweezers to finish the last 1/2" or so.  But each to their own, as long as we give it a try.  Can't learn if we don't try!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,315
Frances replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 12:06 AM

Nana,

How long did Sylvias Bridal quilt take you???

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,737
Points 436,785
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:09 AM

Well Frances if I had stuck with it I would have had it finished in a year which is what the group planned when setting up block assignments.   However it got put into the UFO pile at some point and it was 2 yrs from the time I started it and when I finished quilting it.   I hit a batch of blocks that I didn't particularly like and stopped working on it like a dummy.....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,315
Frances replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 4:28 AM

Nana,

Dont we all do that, i certainly do. It still looks truly stunning and i bet you were pleased when you finished it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Oh by the way if im working on both of them at the same time and doing them mostly EPP you can pretty much guarantee there i will be slower than everyone else, but thats okay someone has to bring up the rear.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,894
Points 69,195
Bonita replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:12 AM

I'm late coming to the party, but I had ordered the book and would like to join the group when it gets started. Although I still have about 10 blocks to finish on the FWS. I'll be watching for the group to start.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,795
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:56 AM

Sue:

Just placed the order, now I wonder how much fabric I need?  Wonder which quilt shop I need to visit to find some Civil War Fabric?

Las Colchas in San Antonio has some :)   come for the SAQG quilt show next weekend!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 825
Points 16,405
Sue replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 9:35 AM

Hi Debbie-do,

That sounds like something I'd like to do if I didn't already have something on my calendar!  Oh Darn!.  Then it's almost a 6 hour drive to SA from where I live, almost to the LA border so I would definitely make it an overnight trip, need to get the trailer ready for short trips.  I'll check Las Colchas website, thanks.

Page 4 of 10 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use