Top 10 Posters

flannel for batting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
69 Posts
Points 1,580
quiltcrone posted on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:32 PM

Thank you, thank you, to whoever it was that mentioned using flannel instead of batting for a lightweight or summer quilt! What a great idea. I want my quilts to be used, but here in AZ the weather only qualifies as cool, and occasionally cold for about 3 months out of the year. Another 3 months are comfortable, and the rest of the year is so hot you just wanna run nekkid! So using flannel as a batting may be a perfect compromise. But now, I have a question. Does anyone know how closely it would need to be quilted? Since the flannel will probably shink quite a bit more than the cotton top & backing, I figure it will be a good thing to prewash the flannel intended to be used as batting. Does anyone have experience to share?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:40 PM

i would prewash all the layers.   you won't have the thick batting to absorb the stitches, and i think the puckering would be pretty bad.    i have made summer quilts out of just two layers, top and bottom.   no quilting, just enough stitching by machine to hold the two layers together. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
69 Posts
Points 1,580

I get what you're saying about prewashing. Stitching: so, like stabilizing ditching is enough?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:05 PM

that's what i did.   i only use it in the hottest part of the summer, which lasts about a month for us, so it doesn't get a lot of use. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
356 Posts
Points 27,260

I prewash my flannel when I use it for batting. I also find that using a better quality flannel is important. 

I have found that stitch in the ditch is sufficient for holding the layers together.  Depending on the backing,  I have done an "X" pattern in each block rather than  stitch in the ditch.  I do this when the backing would not look as nice with the "square" quilting pattern.  This is just a matter of opinion.

I must also add that I have mostly done this for baby size quilts.  I say this to just say that I haven't used flannel in a large bed size quilt but I am sure that the process would be the same.  I might quilt closer for a larger quilt.

Good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
507 Posts
Points 10,295
Answered (Not Verified) tnmtgrl replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:19 AM
Suggested by tnmtgrl

you can try Quilters Dream Cotton Request loft its just about the same thickness as flannel you buy by the yard...just a thought.....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:05 PM

When I first started quilting I used old sheet blankets for batting.   I couldn't afford batting.    Some sheet blankets lasted through several quilts.   The sheet blankets were like a heavy flannel sheet that you get today.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use