Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:59 PM

Ok, so the guys have Ginger or Maryann?

The ladies have Redford or Newman?

So how about quilters questions in the same tone?

Since joining your great resource here I have found two new forms (or patterns I guess is the better word) for quilting that I absolutely LOVE.  I can't decide which I like more, so I wonder what you all think?

I know there are so many other combos, but for now I wonder:

Bargello or One Block Wonder?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:23 AM

Jenia, those are so beautiful, makes me want to skip work and start cutting.  Oh well, it is Friday. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,027 Posts
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:59 AM

I've only made a Bargello but I like the look of both.

I like Gini's answer. I'd choose appliqué over both of these.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,582 Posts
Points 24,020
Susie replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:59 AM

I want to do both...but am scared of them.  I don't have the room to do a bargello as yet.  My design wall is my living room floor, and with 5 people plus me living in my little 2 br apartment, I can't leave the floor covered as long as would be necessary.

Are the OBW the same (or close) to a kaleidoscope?  I am debating about taking a class at the LQS for that one.  I just think it would be fun to do something soooo different.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:17 AM

I'm scared of the Bargello, but that's what makes it interesting.  I hadn't realized that you would need to do a planning board like others have mentioned here.  Typical me I just take something and go with it.  Thought I could learn it as I go....probably not the best style to learn as you go,you are right.  I will likely do one someday, but after reading the comments here, I think for now I have decided to put the one block wonder on my realistic to do list.

The one block wonder looks simpler and the results are just as pretty.  I have ordered a cutting mat and rotary cutter just for this future project.  Everything I have done so far I have cut with scissors and just used cardboard patterns, etc.  I now have the triangle, with other cutting material on the way. 

Not sure what a kaleidoscope is, but (from what I have seen) the OBW uses a 6 triangles to create octagons that are made from one fabric.  By stacking the material just right at the repeat in the pattern and cutting out these triangles, you put the 6 pieces that are the same together creating an octagon that looks like a kaleidoscope.  Then you use those strategically placed on the quilt to create a fluid flowing pattern of color that's all your own.  I'm sure no two are just alike, that's also what makes it really cool the uniqueness from such simplicity.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:20 AM

Skipping work to quilt would be so ideal - at least it's a holiday for some folks those lucky dogs.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:54 AM

Susie

The one block wonder and the kaleidoscope are basically the same thing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
685 Posts
Points 11,770
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:49 PM

Look at buying the book " Bargellos with a twist", it is the same block only changed up in the lay out. I found making a design board easy too. I looked online and someone took some foam borad from Home Depot/ Lowes and covered it with the same thing you put inside a quilt ( all cotton). Staple it and you got your design board. This one really helps to have a desing board if you have directionl fabric, which I did on this last one I did and it make it so easy to put togther.

The one block wonder, you all can have..give me a barello anytime.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,909 Posts
Points 40,930
ls2116 replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:40 PM

Both the bargello and obw are on my someday list.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 3:18 PM

Yes Zoetc49, the reason I like the Bargello is because its the same block changed,up,in the layout, that's what makes them so beautiful!

Thank you so much for the tips on how to make a design board.  I didn't even know they existed until I started exploring around here. My stuff has all just been wing it and go for it, just been lucky so far I guess.

I still like them both but the OBW seems easier.  So as a beginner it will likely be first for me to try.  Both have such pretty results, you know I have to try both.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use