Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl Posted: Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:51 AM

Woke this morning to a rainy day, which is great if you are a duck...it would be ok if it were my day off because then I could stay in all day and quilt but I have to go to work. The kicker for the whole rain thing is that tomorrow night it is suppose to turn to snow...is this ever going to end??? My cherry and peach trees are in full bloom and it looks like we will not be having fruit  this year, again because winter won't go away. I was so hoping for some peach preserves this year. Fortunately the apples and pears have not bloomed yet so at least we will have some fruit. The weather sure has been crazy this year...maybe its the aligning of the planets that have everything stirred up...who knows...oh well...off to work.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 11:33 AM

Jen, I feel for you honest.Right now I'm in the middle of a winter storm ,we have about 8 inches of snow . what a mess . I have flower that are getting ready to bloom and buds on my trees. Good thing is I don't have to leave the house so I'm set for a day of sewing.  Hope your snow will be very little..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 11:34 AM

I hear ya, Jen. It is a messy rainy day here in the North Ga. Mtns, too. Was all dark and yucky yesterday, too. We  have  a slight chance for snow tomorrow night.  I want Spring, too.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 670
Prairiemom replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 12:56 PM

I will take your rain,you can have our 6 and 1/2feet plus of snow.  I just want to skip spring and go straight to summer.  I can't decide what is worse all this snow and the never ending winter we seem to be having or all the endless mud that all this snow is going to bring when it starts to melt.   I hate mud and I have 3 little boys , a large hairy dog and a yard that is about 50/50 of dirt and grass.

Oh well at least the sun is shining today

Pam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 714
Points 14,000
Sue replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 1:09 PM

I would gladly take any rain you want to send our way.  We are dry, dry, dry down here in east Texas.  Today the wind is blowing a gale and tonight is supposed to freeze, yet again!  Sure wish Spring would make up it's mind and stay a while before summer arrives with the humidity!  Turned up the heat this morning for the first time in several weeks.  My car has turned from gray to green from all the pollen!  Will it never end!

In the piney woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 9:55 AM

ice can protect your blossoms.  Keeps them from getting below freezing which can make all the difference.   Cherry blossoms being protected by ice during an early April cold snap. ­­Cherry orchard owned by Andy and Sheila Slinkard, located near Basin City, Washington.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 12:17 PM

Great picture Patti!  Our trees aren't even budding yet.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 19,050

Wow, Patti, that is one cool picture.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,799
Points 352,047
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 2:20 PM

What a cool photo Patti.

No sign of flowers here.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 167
Points 2,145
Flo replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 3:32 PM

Here in the mountains of Southern California, spring is trying to arrive.  But 4 years in a row we had snow Memorial Weekend..so I am not getting my hopes up.  We have some bulbs coming up but the possibility of a dusting this weekend.  Talk about confused weather patterns!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 8:56 AM

i got the picture from an old Good Fruit Grower magazine.  Can't take credit for it.   I used to grow pears, apples and cherries.  Frost season was interesting.  Setting the frost alarm, hoping the wind machines would be sufficient, running around to the different orchard blocks, lighting smudge pots. From the middle of the night to daylight, chatting with other orchardists doing the same thing.  Then going around the next day sampling buds to see what the damage was. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 9:50 AM

Thanx Patti for the pic and suggestion...farmers in FL do this to their strawberries and oranges, unfortunately my DH was not staying up all night to spray water on the trees...I suggested it to him and he gave me a look that could kill...I told him we need smudge pots next year and he said that with the wind we get here in the mountains that they would not work..don't know if he is right but what am I to do...oh well there is the hope of next year.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use