rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 325
sgillet@ctesc.net Posted: Sun, Feb 7 2010 11:50 AM

Hi everyone!

I have been quilting about 11 years and have a  Janome 9000 Memory Craft machine which I love. Recently I was gong to look into the Janome 11000 Special Edition machine and the sales person told me several negatives compared to the Brother  Innovis 6000D  machine which is huge! It has many features which are really nice. My focus was not only the embroideriy part of the machine but that it could do blocks with various quilting designs. Does anyone have any experience with this Brother machine? This is a lot of $ to spend and I want some input form owners first. Thanks so much, Suz

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:41 PM

There are lots of excellent machines out there.  But the most important thing is to probably buy a machine that is sold locally so you can go for training, help, and service.  The more complicated the machine, the more questions you will have as you use it.  A friendly dealer is invaluable.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 3:00 PM

That lets me out, nearsest dealer LQS (3) are an hour away!  I was drooling at A Scarlet Thread yesterday, they had some fantastic machines Baby Lock and several others.  I would be lost trying to choose.  Will be glad when the quilt magazines do an in depth comparison...or how about here?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

Hi Suz.  I can't agree with Patti more ... a friendly, honest, local dealer should be your #1 consideration when buying a new machine.  Can you tell I'm having a problem with a dealer?

I'm sorry  I can't tell you anything about the Brother machine but I'm sure someone here has experience with Brother and will share their opinion with you.

Good luck and enjoy your search for the perfect machine.

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 3:20 PM

Joni:
That lets me out, nearsest dealer LQS (3) are an hour away!

here in rural Eastern Washington, the closes LQS is about 35 minutes away in good weather.  She sells pfaff.  I thought about getting a bernina next time, but that dealer is 2 hours away.  So I have a pfaff and am very, very happy with it and even more so with the service.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 3:33 PM

Suz,

While I don't have an Innovis, I do have a Brother NX600 I got about 4 or 5 years ago. At the time, I'd read reviews in a quilting magazine but hadn't spoken to a lot of quilters before buying.  I like my Brother - it's a great machine compared to the basic Kenmore I had but it doesn't have every last bell & whistle I could have afforded.  So, in addition to having a dealer nearby whom you can talk to, get service from, etc., I also recommend making a list of the features you really want and those which you can do without, then buying the best machine you can afford. Mine was around $650, I think, but I could have gone higher.

The throat space is decent, though could be bigger. Threading is easy and it has a drop-in bobbin. It can thread the needle, but sometimes has problems doing this with a smaller eye, so I have had to thread the eye myself occasionally.  Brother doesn't recommend using "universal" needles, though they don't ask you to stick to one brand, either.  My dealer let me try as many machines as I wanted and showed me some of the features before letting me "play".  Don't know about the newer machines, but mine doesn't have a 1/4 inch foot.  There's a specific needle setting to use to get the 1/4" seam.  Dealer offered a class to teach us the features of the machine in a small group setting.  I have not had any major problems with the machine, though it didn't want to work at one point but I got it working again after checking out all the parts, unthreading, removing needle & bobbin & cleaning out the bobbin area.  All in all, I'm happy with this machine.

You can find some reviews online as well as some info on Brother's site - the one you want looks like a wonderful machine, though I'm not into embroidery (that was my handcraft about 20 or 30 years ago, but I've never gotten into it like I have with quilting).  Hopefully some other people can give you advice on embroidery or even on this machine.

Consumer Reports has older machines in their most recent ratings, but Brother does well (2nd place for mechanical, electronic/computerized & combo emroidery/sewing categories).  The Brother Innov-is 40 Project Runway was a "best buy" in the computerized category.  The Innov-is Duetta 4500D was over $2,000 more than the Bernina Aurora (both combo embroidery/sewing) but got a "very good" score of 72.

Otherwise, I say go to any area dealers and explore your options, make sure you can play with the machines & get a class and or help when you need it.  Good luck & happy shopping!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 202
Points 5,090
Angel replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 9:06 AM

sgillet@ctesc.net:

Hi everyone!

I have been quilting about 11 years and have a  Janome 9000 Memory Craft machine which I love. Recently I was gong to look into the Janome 11000 Special Edition machine and the sales person told me several negatives compared to the   machine which is huge! It has many features which are really nice. My focus was not only the embroideriy part of the machine but that it could do blocks with various quilting designs. Does anyone have any experience with this Brother machine? This is a lot of $ to spend and I want some input form owners first. Thanks so much, Suz

I recently have been shopping around for a new machine also. I have tried the Brother 6000D. I liked the machine alot. It was very user friendly. I found most of the things i was looking for with in a few seconds. I also tried the Babylock Ellisimo, which is very comparable to that machine. I found that since I was going to spend that much money on a machine I was going with the Babylock. I liked the camera better, and the idea that if i messed up embroidery hooping I didnt have to rehoop I could just use the sticker and settings on the machine. I spent a good couple of hours trying different things on both these machines. If you have a Brother dealer close by, it is a very nice machine. I just chose the Ellisimo because it had a few more perks to it, for the price tag. All in all the Quattro is very nice. But if you have a dealer that sells Babylock, go try that machine out too.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:04 PM

I AM SO ENVIOUS, you have an Ellisimo....What a machine that is....I think that it is worth it's weight in Gold.

I have a Baby Lock also, an ellageo, and I want an Ellisimo desperately.    My ellageo, does a wonderful job on the embroidery end and it sews like a dream. 

I am from Canada and I went last year to get a price at the dealership that I bought my baby lock from and firstly, she would not take a trade in, my ellageo is only 2 years old and secondly, she was asking $9,000.00.  Do you mind me asking how much you paid for yours.  I am hoping that beings that this is the second year for the Ellisimo, the dealer will see her way clear for a trade-in.  I can't say enough about the Baby Lock machines, although, I was not too impressed with the lower end baby lock, which I did try out first and traded up quite quickly.

Once again, congrats on having such a beautiful machine, you are going to have many happy hours with it.

Oh yes, did everyone see that Fons and Porter have gone to the Baby Lock machine exclusively on their TV Show....I think that certainly says something about the product.

Have Fun sewing.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 5:08 PM

I don't have any of the machines mentioned as I have a Elna, however I would recommend trying out some of the machines first to see which one you prefer and works the best for you..

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 9:21 PM

Joanne:
did everyone see that Fons and Porter have gone to the Baby Lock machine exclusively on their TV Show...

No, I haven't seen F&P for a while now.  They dropped Bernina???  Do you suppose it's due to a difference in features & quality or determined by which company would pay more to have their products featured?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:36 PM

Eleanor Burns used to have Elna and now I believe she has Baby Lock.

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:38 PM

I have always wondered how they decide which company and am sure it is up to the sponsors which shows they will sponsor and you get the one who will do it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 202
Points 5,090
Angel replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:05 AM

Joanne:

I AM SO ENVIOUS, you have an Ellisimo....What a machine that is....I think that it is worth it's weight in Gold.

Not yet....it's coming. I went to a shop down on Lancaster PA. It has been a busy month here, so between work, snow, kids, ect. I have not had the time to go down and get it yet. I have sewed on the demo machine she has. Her particular store offers 40% off the retail cost of the machine. So I am paying about 5400 for mine.

I have never tried an Elna. We dont have any place around that carries them. We have Bernina dealers and Babylock/ Brother dealers. Oh and one Viking dealer, but thats a hike to get to

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 3,280
Lilian replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 1:21 PM

When I first started quilting in 2004, my very first sewing machine was a Brother  CS8072.  I didn't know much about machines or quilting, so I thought I would go 'cheap' first in case I didn't like it.  :):)  I bought it at WalMart for about  $100-$200, I don't recall.  After a hundred-fifty or more quilts, it finally just died from exhaustion, but it was a wonderful machine.  I then thought I would have that same luck again, but since Brother discontinued that model, I bought a CS6000i in 2007.  No comparison.  It was too light and sounded "tinny." 

In 2008, I bought a BabyLock Espire and it has been fantastic.  I don't embroider so I don't want that particular function.  This one sews like butter and does dishes too.  It has over 300 stitches, a pivot function, thread cutter, and bobbin winder (while you're sewing!!).  Lots of bells and whistles but no embroidery if you want that.  And, it cost less that $2K.

While I would recommend a good machine dealer, the one I have (the only one nearby) put the wrong lubricant in my machine during a checkup.  So, I would make sure your dealer is a certified technician to ensure he or she knows what they're doing.

I've only heard good things about Janome.  One of my sister's has the Memory Craft, and another has a Huskvarna Viking DE.  Both apparently are satisfied with their machines, although neither one  embroiders.  In spite of the machine dealer, I love my Espire.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.  Having a great machine makes quilting a joy.

Lilian

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

sgillet@ctesc.net:

Hi everyone!

I have been quilting about 11 years and have a  Janome 9000 Memory Craft machine which I love. Recently I was gong to look into the Janome 11000 Special Edition machine and the sales person told me several negatives compared to the Brother  Innovis 6000D  machine which is huge! It has many features which are really nice. My focus was not only the embroideriy part of the machine but that it could do blocks with various quilting designs. Does anyone have any experience with this Brother machine? This is a lot of $ to spend and I want some input form owners first. Thanks so much, Suz

I bought the Brother QC 1000 and although it was a nice machine I traded it in for a Bernina aurora 440QE. Most of my friends had a Bernina and they just seem to last forever. It is not a big machine but it does so much and it wonderful and a great work horse. It has a Stitch regulator which I don't suppose you need but as I am in the UK long arm quilters are rare and I need to be able to do all my quilting myself and I am just about to start quilting an extra big lap quilt. If you can get to a big quilt show they have all the brands but I would advise you to take your time and not settle for a DSM that is not really the one you want. The great thing is you can have your machine shipped to you and mine comes with a Disc that goes through all the functions on my machine and you set up your machine next to your Laptop or PC and all the things you need to know are right there at your finger tips or you can take lessons at a dealer or even on the phone. 

What ever machine you buy Suz enjoy it and let us know what you buy and what you think of it.

Hampshire, England

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use