Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 115
Amy K Posted: Sat, Mar 23 2013 6:45 PM

Hi I'm new to the club and fairly new to quilting. I've crocheted most of my life and taught myself how to knit a couple years ago. Then I read a Jennifer Chiaverini book and decided that I wanted to learn how to quilt - so I've been teaching myself...I have made several quilts but don't feel like I really know much at all yet!  I have a million questions that I don't even know the words to ask...for starters, I have been machine piecing the tops but doing hand quilting.  Today I started hand piecing a patchwork top but wanted to ask you all:  should I be using quilting thread to sew the squares together, or regular sewing thread??? I am looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 7:02 PM

Hi Amy, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 155
Cindy replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 7:39 PM

Hello from Ohio. I'm no expert at quilting but I use regular thread (Coats&Clark Dual Duty) for every thing except hand quilting then I use a Coats&Clark Hand Quilting Thread) Someday, I'll invest in some of the specialty threads but from some of the "everyday" quilters I've asked a lot just use Coats&Clark. Some machines don't like certain threads ( break a lot)  so I think you have to play with different ones.I'm sure you will get better answers than this, but I think it's just how much you want to invest.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 115
Amy K replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:18 PM

Thank u Cindy!  I will save my quilting thread and just us my dual duty then 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Amy,

You will love it here and get answers to all you questions. Probably several answers to your questions. Although, I'm sure you will get as many answers as there are quilters here. I've taken several quilting classes and everyone had a different favorite brand of thread. If you're hand piecing, you would want good quality thread. If you are using your machine, I have used whatever I have available but when I actually do the free motion quilting, I use Aurifil thread. I love it. I have had no problem with using that thread. I normally don't have any problems with breaking thread anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:53 PM

hi amy, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 9:59 PM

Welcome, Amy! I use 

Welcome, Amy!     I use  Guterman  , Aurafil  and Connecting Threads Essential . I have had problems with Coats & Clark and do not use it . You will find as you go along and try different thread you will eventually find a favorite or some that work better on your machine.  Hope this helps! You will get lots of  questions answered here so just ask away.                       Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:07 AM

Going to put in my 2cents worth here.  I used to use connecting threads essential before I got my new babylock symphony, but it gives off too much fuzz and interferes with my bobbin empty feature.  So I no longer use it . I have gone to Aurafil almost exclusively.  Though I do have some supeior threads that I am using also.    Ginny

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 65

Welcome

I use 100% cotton thread when I piece my tops not quilting thread

only use quilting thread when i hand quilt, something I am not the neatest at.

have many many unfinished projects , my problem is that I love the thrill of starting a new one , do need the staying power so I can finish the old ones before they become too stale for me to look at.

Jennifer

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:41 AM

welcome Amy.  Seems we all have our favorite threads.  In general cotton is the best, and not the heavy quilting thread for piecing.  If you find your thread tending to break or twist, you might want to try a different one. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 11:05 AM

Hi and welcome to the gang, Amy.  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 11:20 AM

Amy welcome to the club, We are always glad to have a new quilter. Please feel free to ask questions ,someone here will most always have an answer.  I my self use Arufil Thread  for most of my quilting.  I buy the big cones of King Tut Thread  by Superior for all of my piecing. I prefer the 50 weight  thread as this is the thread my machine likes.There are many places on the Web to get any type of thread you like . Superior Thread has a fabulous web site that has wonderful information on threads ,from the making of it to the weightsof thread.  Pumpkinville Corner ,is the best place for buying Arufil Thread as this is the best priced place, I will warn you though Good Thread is not cheap. but to me it well worth the cost ,If you just buy one or two spools every month you will eventually get a good stash of threads.  Ok I'm done rambling now ,,LOL   barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use