rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:40 PM

Beautiful quilt Patti.

Thanks for sharing. I'm made many an afghan but never thought to back them like quilts. I have a few lingering in the closet. Who knows, I might try this as well.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 1,095
Qwkslver replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 8:01 AM

I have not but I would like to.  I was watching Psych one night and they were in a commune.  The quilts were crocheted on top with looked like fleece backing.  A light bulb went on and I said AHA!  If you do so please post pictures.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,547
Points 23,370
Susie replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 11:25 AM

I think I am going to get the fleece and attach it to the back of the very first one I made, which I gave to her.  The yarn is very scratchy, so we don't use it very often.  But it's in my favorite colors, and it makes me sad that it is just sitting.  I have a coupon for 50% off a single cut at Joann that I was debating about using for batting.  But I also know that their fleece goes on sale all the time as well.

I'll post a picture of it as soon as I have it finished.  Just need to find the right fleece for the back.  If it works out really well, then I'll think about doing it to a couple of her other ones.  If not, I've only messed up the one I made and not all her hard work.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,343
Points 241,927
Thea replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 12:16 PM

There is a new quilt in the latest Quilt Patch that has crochetted borders around all the blocks.  It is beautiful.  they don't really tell you how to add it on so I have been trying to figure it out.  

I think putting a muslin backing on your afghan and then batting and backing should work just fine.  The Muslin behind the afghan would give it stability to quilt it... then you could do a cross hatch to catch all the blocks of the afghan.  I am looking forward to seeing what you do.  

Although even with holes that afghans produce with their patterns they are still very warm.  And heavy at times!  I have one that weighs more then my largest quilt folded up... it is used as the top layer when it is really cold outside.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use