Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,544
Points 23,325
Susie Posted: Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:51 AM

Ok, so I need to ask the question.  Has anyone made a quilt backing for a crocheted afghan?

I have a few of my granny's afghans, but they aren't warm enough (because of the holes, lol1).  I was thinking of putting a backing on them, but again, wasn't sure if it would work.

So I thought I would toss it out there and see if anyone else had done something similar.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 11,545
Bev replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:49 AM

Hey Susie, 

I don't know how it would work using a quilt backing but it is so nice that you have the afghans as memories of your Grandmother.

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:03 AM

susie, i might be easier to get a heavy fleece and attach the afghan to that. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:13 AM

Susie

I have never added a backing to an afghan but I don't see why it wouldn't work.   I would probably sew some crosshatching across the whole afghan after the backing is attached to the edges.   Let us know how it works.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,705
Points 38,170
ls2116 replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:52 AM

I crochet too i'm not sure if i would  use a batting but i like the fleece idea .  like having a color table cloth under a lace tablecloth.  i think it would be warmer and more decorative. good luck and let us know how it works out post in show and tell I anxouse to see your result.  I might try one too.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,544
Points 23,325
Susie replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:54 AM

Thanks, ladies!  I am a bit worried about losing the integrity of the afghan.  I may try it with one of her lesser ones.  She made me one that is almost like a thick lace with beautiful yellow roses all over it.  But it's very flimsy (delicate) and has been put away for so long due to having kitty critters that like the fringes.  I just thought that if there was a way to add a quilt-y thing to the back, it would be helpful.  But, as you can imagine, I'm struggling with how to attach it anywhere but the edges without changing the texture of the afghan.

Hmmm....maybe this is going to take more thinking that I thought, lol!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 1:18 PM

i still think the fleece i s your best option.  it is easy to sew through, so attaching the afghan to it will be pretty easy. you could get a matching yarn or   to attach it, i would use a whip stitch every inch or so, most of the thread could travel inside the fleece so you couldn't see so much of it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:32 PM

Susie

If you use the fleece and sew it to the afghan around the edges and then make a big X across the afghan it shouldn't affect the integrity of the afghan but add warmth and possibly even some protection.   The afghan will end up sturdier than originally.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

I will roll over in my grave should one of my grandchildren want to add a backing to my afghans.  I put as much work into them as I do my quilts and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to tamper with the integrity of my quilts or my afghans.

Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:58 PM

i think that once i give a gift, it is the recipient's wherewithal to do with it as he or she pleases.  it's no longer mine.   i don't have to give them another quilt if i see they are misusing it,   i can roll my eyes if the dog is using it, or it is used as a horse blanket.

my nieces no longer get quilts from me,  but my auntie will get more.   she hangs hers on the wall,   the nieces use them as dog blankets. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Points 1,570

On the other hand, I make quilts for my dog...they wash easier than the upholstery...and he hasn't chewed one up yet. 'course he also sleeps in a chair next to my sewing machine.  My previous dog, may she rest in peace, slept on my lap between me and the front of my sewing machine table.  Have a great evening.

stitcheraz

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,194
Points 15,975
Susan replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 8:54 PM

Susie:
Has anyone made a quilt backing for a crocheted afghan?
                          Susie,  I have a table runner (crocheted) top and cotton backing. It is beautiful and the backing seems to hold it all together. If it were me, I would try it ,I think you will be pleased with the results. Its better than sitting  in a closet not being used.I like  Geni,s idea of  fleece backing, it will be warm and fleece is easy to sew with- no fraying.    Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:19 PM

I think crochet work can look exquisite in a quilt.  Winner of the International quilt show (2012) Grand-Prix award in Japan, Chieko Shiraishi combined quilting and crochet.  I can't find a good description, and although I have enlarged the photo, it is difficult to see how much is crochet, embroidery or applique.  I think a combination.

I have a few crochet pieces that are very lacy and best displayed on top of a contrasting fabric.  But I think it would be a lot of work to attach in a way that protects the crochet work.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:21 PM

Here it is. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:49 PM

Oh wow Patti.   That is gorgeous.   I sometimes think crochet looks prettiest against a dark background.  It just sets all the yarn work off to its best.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use