Top 10 Posters

has anyone tried the Shout Color Catchers?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
69 Posts
Points 1,580
quiltcrone posted on Thu, Mar 21 2013 12:04 PM

I'm wondering if the Shout Color Catchers actually work. The quilt I'm about to finish - it's red & white. The fabrics were prewashed, but I've found from hard experience that with some of the really dark or bright colors once is not always enough. Even though I wash my hands before handling the quilt, well, crap happens & this quilt needs to be washed. I'm terrified that, after all this work, the red will turn the white pink. (Obviously, I didn't think this quilt through. Quilt and learn!) I've purchased a box of the color catcher sheets hoping if anything is going to run it won't be a disaster. Has any one tried these? How well did it work?

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
65 Posts
Points 1,265

I've had great success with color catchers as well.  I've also heard that adding a cup of vinegar to your wash cycle will help keep colors from fading.  I haven't tried it personally but it seems like a good idea.  Vinegar is great for so many things.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 290

I love the shout color catchers.  I buy so much that I should probably own stocks in the company.  I have used them with all my redwork and have not had an issue. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I use Color Catchers too and they really work!!! But, just in case there's a failure use Synthrapol.  It will remove the bleeding color -- I know.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850

Jane Seybold:
I use Color Catchers too and they really work!!! But, just in case there's a failure use Synthrapol.  It will remove the bleeding color -- I know

Jane - very good advice - I will need some Synthrapol for use in dyeing fabric so it will be nice to have it on hand.  I also swear by the Color Catchers and even have my husband trained (LOL) to use them in the washer if he happens to be doing the wash and any burgandy towel is included.  The burgandy towels still bleed. Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
69 Posts
Points 1,580

Thanks, y'all! I washed that quilt, using 4 of the Color Catcher sheets. Those sheets were dark pink! But the quilt was perfect. Yay! For sure, I'll keep a box of these on hand for future use.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

Hi, I have used the shout color catcher in my wash and they worked for me.  I used two in the wash because like you was wahing red. Well the sheet turned pink and the quilt did not.  I had also pre-wash my quilt. Good luck hope it turns out ok for you. Agnes

Not Ranked
Female
19 Posts
Points 305

I use  Shout Color Catchers all the time.  I swear by them.  I have also prewashed fabrics with bleed potential in Synthrapol, Retayne or Vinegar all of which work well. 

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 35
tamy replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:02 PM

I do use the color catchers now for quite a while and since then I never discolored anything. I even wash dark with light sometime and it never is a problem. My quilted things I just wash with a wool washstuff and on cool setting and this color catchers and never did have any problems, although I work a lot with combinations out of white and intensive colors like red and pink and blue. What I do have though is a lot of color loss in cheaper fabrics since I am a washing freak and so I wash my wallhangers every time I take them off (I have a few seasonal pieces as wallhangers and bedquilts, that need washing frequentliy too). But that is not a problem in the little bit more expensive fabrics. Same amount of washing and such and no color loss so far at all - thankfully. 

I hope it works for you and would love to see the results once your are done ;). 

Nanje

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 320

I use the shout color catchers they work great  Never heard of Synthrapol, where do you find that product?

Not Ranked
Female
61 Posts
Points 295

I always prewash--learned from sad experience. I also like the new look when the quilt is finished and after it is laundered. The color catchers are wonderful and I rewash until the colors are no longer in the catchers. The vivid colors are the most likely to run--pastels only need one washing.

Good Luck,

AnnEliz

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use