Quilt of old neck ties

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Tue, Mar 19 2013 3:44 PM

Hello, I'm new here and just a beginner at quilting.  My mentor in quilting is my Granny, she has made 100's in her lifetime and has won blue ribbons and awards for her quilts. 

Granny says that the definition of a quilt means that the piece has 3 layers; a top, batting and backing.

I plan on doing a quilt of old neck ties that I have been collecting.  I have read some of the online instructions for these kinds of quilts and they all say to take the ties apart and remove the lining and cut up the ties.  They mention taking them apart because the project would be too heavy without taking it apart.  They are however considering sewing the ties onto a top fabric, adding batting and a backing piece.

My thought was to leave the ties in tact and sew them together in a nice pattern.  This would leave 3 layers as the ties all have an inner lining.  The back would be just as pretty as the front and the end product would be reversible. 

The tie quilt will be my next project.  I'm working on a crazy quilt now, but while I'm working on this one I'm thinking of the tie project as well. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on my idea?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jenia

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,831 Posts
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:59 PM

Jenia I had the same thought but just never got around to doing it.  Welcome!

Judy that dresden looks awesome.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 555
Pat replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:44 AM

A Dresden Plate--how perfect for a necktie quilt! Taylor made! (heehee). Seriously, that is a wonderful idea. I recently saw one that someone did in a circle. Maybe that's the one you saw, it was huge. But I think it would be cool to do a 'regular' Dresden, or even Grandmothers Fan.

Pat

Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 555
Pat replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:44 AM

A Dresden Plate--how perfect for a necktie quilt! Taylor made! (heehee). Seriously, that is a wonderful idea. I recently saw one that someone did in a circle. Maybe that's the one you saw, it was huge. But I think it would be cool to do a 'regular' Dresden, or even Grandmothers Fan.

Pat

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use