Quilt of old neck ties

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Tue, Mar 19 2013 3:44 PM

Hello, I'm new here and just a beginner at quilting.  My mentor in quilting is my Granny, she has made 100's in her lifetime and has won blue ribbons and awards for her quilts. 

Granny says that the definition of a quilt means that the piece has 3 layers; a top, batting and backing.

I plan on doing a quilt of old neck ties that I have been collecting.  I have read some of the online instructions for these kinds of quilts and they all say to take the ties apart and remove the lining and cut up the ties.  They mention taking them apart because the project would be too heavy without taking it apart.  They are however considering sewing the ties onto a top fabric, adding batting and a backing piece.

My thought was to leave the ties in tact and sew them together in a nice pattern.  This would leave 3 layers as the ties all have an inner lining.  The back would be just as pretty as the front and the end product would be reversible. 

The tie quilt will be my next project.  I'm working on a crazy quilt now, but while I'm working on this one I'm thinking of the tie project as well. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on my idea?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jenia

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:44 AM

that would be interesting.  I assume you would not sew them together with a regular quarter inch seam, but butting the edges together and sewing a zigzag or other stitch to connect them?  I have never made a neck tie quilt before, but have seen some beautiful pictures. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:46 AM

Yes, that is the plan.  It seems like it would be pretty on both sides and would be very easy to put together.  The photos I have seen online are what have inspired me.  I have been purchasing ties on ebay for about 2 months now. Some of them are absolutely gorgeous.   I have enough ties to do 3 large quilts so far.  If it works out the way I am hoping I plan on making them as gifts to family.  I have several different "patterns" in my head, I just hope they come out as pretty in reality as I can imagine!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:16 AM

Check out the thrift stores.   They may have a great selection at wonderful prices.   When I want wool, that is usually where I go.  Some of the old coats came in wonderful bright colors.

Now you have me interested.  I like your idea.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:17 AM

I recently saw a pic of a huge dresden plate quilt made from ties.   It was gorgeous.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,939 Posts
Points 125,320

Jenia. It sounds interesting. I was curious about necktie quilts so did a Google and found this one. We'll all be looking forward to seeing your completed quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:25 AM

Oh my gosh.  I just google for pictures of necktie quilts, and such wonderful variety!  So much more that can be done besides dresden plate.  I am going to be looking at neck ties differently from now on. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:34 AM

I have found them at estate sales too, but mostly ebay because they are sold in large lots there like 20, 50 and 100. 

We have an animal rescue thrift shop here in town that I frequent but they haven't had any ties when I have checked.

Now that I'm into quilting I have found that I am a fabric freak - estate sales, garage sales, scraps from walmart, you name it I'm there checking it out.  And now I have ties to search for too!  It's all such great fun.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,583 Posts
Points 24,040
Susie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 11:02 AM

I also have a bunch of ties that were my great uncle's that I want to turn into a quilt at some point.  My daughter sent me a picture of a dresden plate one that I really like.  I may or may not cut them up...most likely not, but we will see when I get to that point. 

I want to incorporate my granny's hankies along with them, so the ideas are bouncing around in my head until I have time and a good plan.  Mostly because I don't have enough of his ties to do a full quilt.  Just a few favorites I was able to save from many, many years ago.

I would love to see what you come up with as well!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860

here's the one that inspired my idea:

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,939 Posts
Points 125,320

Beautiful!!!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 11:54 AM

In addition to the round design that's pretty obvious when you think of neck ties, I'm also thinking of something like a brick pattern that's more horizontal with varying lengths, and even something in a herringbone or chevron pattern.  The ideas just keep coming, the more I think about it.  I am so excited to get going, but my crazy quilt is also my own design and it's coming along very nice so far. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860

here's an example of something like the brick pattern

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 3:03 PM

Jenia, I see that you are new.  Glad you can join us. 

What part of the country are you from?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:04 PM

Thanks, Patti

Yes, I'm very new to your site - joined yesterday.  I will probably always consider myself new to quilting - I made my first one last year. 

I'm kind of proud of my first quilt, it was made with bandanas for backing and I made 9 blocks square using vibrant triangles on the front and then embroidered it all together to quilt them.  There are some things I would do differently now that I have practiced some more, but it sure looks nice on the bed and hanging on my wall.  When I figure out how to post a picture to the gallery here I'd like to see what the community thinks.  My family and friends all love it, but they are biased of course.

Anyway, I'm from Las Cruces, New Mexico at the moment - moved here from Geneva, Ohio in 2004; and have lived in California, New York and I was born in Alabama where my Granny is and I visit as much as I can.  

My quilting gene came from Granny (her last name is Jean) and I know she is proud that I started to follow in her footsteps, although I know I will never be as good as Granny, I can fool some of the people some of the time, but I'm sure I won't be able to fool Granny of the good folks here.  hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use