Batting for baby quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,119 Posts
Points 110,600
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Tue, Mar 19 2013 2:19 PM

A friend of mine said she was told to only use poly batting for baby quilts because it's lighter and can wrap around baby better. Warm and Natural type is stiffer and heavier so isn't the best t use.

I hadn't heard this. I thought poly batting was more difficult to quilt and, besides, I like the cotton batting. But as I'm making a baby quilt for a charity auction I thought I should find out what is the preferred batting.

What can you experts tell me?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,379 Posts
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 2:41 PM

I still use my Warm and Natural for baby quilts but I'm no expert. I hadn't heard that about the poly batting.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,119 Posts
Points 110,600

Roxana:

I still use my Warm and Natural for baby quilts but I'm no expert. I hadn't heard that about the poly batting.

I can't help but wonder if she isn't thinking of baby quilts that are tied instead of hand or machine quilted. Will be interested in what others think. I made baby quilts for my granddaughter from the time she was born (nearly 20 years ago) and always used the cotton.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,486 Posts
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 2:54 PM

I use warm and white all the time for all my quilts, even baby quilts.  I'm not particularly fond of poly batting because it doesn't breathe as well as cotton.  Just my own thoughts.  

Diana in East Tn.

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

Do you plan to machine or hand quilt?  I am a hand quilter and I have used cotton in the children's quilts I have made.  However, check the batting package to see how close you have to quilt.  You might not want to put as much quilting in as the cotton requires.   I do not like Warm and Natural for hand quilting -- I find it doesn't needle well.  However, I have heard other quilters say they use Warm and Natural with no complaints.   I'm afraid I'm a little bias toward poly batting.  I am quilting a quilt in which I used poly because I didn't want shrinkage.  It is bearding so badly that I can safely say I will never use it again.

I have some Fairfield Soft Touch batting that says quilt  no more than 2" to 4" apart.  I have some Dream Cotton that says it can be quilted up to 8" apart.

Now, in answer to your question... use whatever batting you like, but since this is a charity quilt, I would note it on the label in case there are any sensitivities.

Jane

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,119 Posts
Points 110,600

Jane Seybold:
Now, in answer to your question... use whatever batting you like, but since this is a charity quilt, I would note it on the label in case there are any sensitivities.

Thanks Jane. Good point. I really don't intend to use poly filling in any quilt. But I was curious when my friend said she was advised to only use poly in baby quilts because it's lighter and softer.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,379 Posts
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 3:22 PM

Judy, I machine quilt all of my quilts. It's been ages since I've tied one.

Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 3:25 PM

I'm always worrying about something.  Thus when I make baby quilt I primarily use poly because of the thought of sids.  I always tell parents to make sure baby doesn't migrate under.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,119 Posts
Points 110,600

Roxana:

Judy, I machine quilt all of my quilts. It's been ages since I've tied one.

Me too Roxana. 45 years ago I made my first quilts for my two little sons and I probably used a poly batting. I tied them but it was the first and only time I've tied. Then for several years I made only log cabin quilts where the three layers of each block were stitched together  so it didn't require quilting.

By the way, I think my oldest son, who is 51, still has that quilt although it was in tatters the last time I saw it. His wife told me a few years ago that he would wrap up in it whenever he didn't feel good. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,110 Posts
Points 410,949
gini replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 3:56 PM

I have heard, and this is unsubstantiated, that you shouldn't use poly because in case of fire it melts.  I think if a kid is that close to a fire, it's a moot point.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,162 Posts
Points 15,470

Judy, I make lots of baby quilts, flannel and cotton. I use poly/cotton batting for my flannels and (yes it is softer than cotton) I have had no problem quilting the poly. I have asked some people I made them for and they all said the poly was softer for a baby quilt. I have used the poly in cotton quilt, too. My thinking is a baby quilt is going to get so much washing, wear and tear it does not really matter. However, if its a "keeper"/ forever quilt  I would use cotton batting.   Susan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

I like to use Quilters Dream Cotton in the select loft for baby quilts... it is very soft and warm, I have also tried bamboo batting for a baby quilt ...I don't remember the brand but is was very soft and they say it's good for allergy prone people. I usually use Warm and Natural or Quilters Dream though whichever has the best deal when I need to restock.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use