Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,372
Points 48,740
Ginny replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 4:17 PM

This Ginny likes her T-fal also.  This is the 2nd one I have had.  The first one lost its heat control after being dropped forcefully on the floor.  I say forcefully because I tired to grab it and just made it SLAM into the floor.  Mine does have a shut off.  Good steam when needed .   Beats the rowentas I had been buying by a long shot.  No leaking from this baby.  I saw one recently at Walmart, but I had bought mine online as I couldn't find any in town then.   Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 4:56 PM

Amy, I have a Rowenta Effective that my DH bought me a year ago.It does not leak, gets good and hot, isn,t heavy. I am happy with it.Ill let you know when it stops working. I have used lots of irons and have a couple for laundry use but I like the Rowenta the best so far.     Susan 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 5:49 PM

I have not found the perfect iron yet. I sure need one though because mine also must have holes because there are always water spots to dry.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,630

Amymercer:
I'm willing to spend the money to get a good iron but I want it to last.  What do you think is the best ir

I think Nana is right. If you want an iron to last, get one of those cast iron things you heat on a wood stove. LOL.  Seriously, there really doesn't seem to be such a thing as a long lasting iron. (note the folks who are thrilled because their irons are still working after 6 months) I finally got smart and stopped putting water in my iron. When I need the extra pressing, I use a spray bottle.

Amy, go cheap. It will last as long as the expensive irons.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:37 PM

Nana:

I think if we expect an iron to last we need to go back to the old cast iron ones that you heat on top of the stove...LOL

I have 2 of those old cast iron ones...one you heat on the stove and the other is heated with kerosene.  Have to say that I have never used either one, but maybe I'll them one of these days.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 175
Cindy replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:43 PM

I guess I need to be more specific with my remark about an iron that still works after 6 months of heavy use in a classroom setting with many people using it.  The singer iron has outlasted any black and decker, rowenta and a vermont country store iron that I have tried.  The model of the singer iron I referred to is the expert finish.  It is auto shut off, but it heats up so quickly it's not annoying and the steam can be shut off also.  I used to use one of the old fashioned irons with the cloth cord.  Frankly I found it to be too dangerous to use in a quilting classroom.  Hope this helps.  One last thing, the singer cost $53, while the Rowentas were from $79 - $129.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:31 PM

I have a Black and Decker and a Rival. I have been using the Black and Decker for about 5 yrs. The Rival is in the closet and I have not used it for a long time, don't really like the feel of it. After reading your comments I guess I am really lucky to have had mine for so long......now watch it blow up when I go to use it on Tuesday. I have looked at the more expensive irons but can't see why I should buy one especially since I work at walmart and can get a discount.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 10:32 AM

Hi, I have a Proctor Silex. It is nonstick, has a easy view water window. Adjustable steam and a Fine mist spray. It glides smooth over ALL my fabrics. I have had no issues with build up on the iron itself. It is light weight, which is good for me as I have slight disabilities that make it hard to lift and push heavy things. I get a perfect press every time. I even use a light starch at times and there is no build up on the iron ever.  I have had this iron for several years now and never had a problem with it. It is very inexpensive. Believe it or not I got it on sale for 9.99 at K-Mart. I am sure it may cost more now and they may have a fancier version out. But I recommend the brand.   Hope this helps.

Julienne

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use