rated by 0 users
This post has 317 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:48 AM

Pat Lancaster:
Graham said I might have a very rare machine and asked what the serial number was. He then told me it was the 1131st machine produced and congratulations.

Pat, that is exciting!  Sounds like you are on the right track.  If Graham said that, I would try emailing him privately, tell him you have had an offer and have no idea whether it is reasonable or not.  Ask him to give you some idea of what would be a reasonable offer and also an explanation of why this machine is so rare.

It's then up to you whether the offer is good enough for you to part with this "rare" FW and buy another machine (FW?) or whether to keep it and glow with pride at your flea market find.  I bet Graham would say to keep it, but he's a collector!  

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:53 AM

Pat, BTW...sweet looking machine!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Donna B:
Pat, BTW...sweet looking machine!
Thanks Donna. Yes it is rather exciting, but at the same time a little nerve wracking, LOL. I haven't done anything (cleaning, polishing) to it yet except replace the cord on the foot pedal. I think I will start the clean-up process while I try to decide if I want to put her up for sale. The person who made the offer couldn't give any details since he has not even seen a picture of it. I think my idea of "good condition" might not be the same as a collector's. Interesting note, another person just posted that she bought 2 machines the same day with the AD serial numbers. She said she bought them in Central Florida earlier this year (I am in FL too). I discussed this with the friend who purchased this machine for me and he thinks someone is breaking up a collection. He is a flea market junkie and said the seller was not a normal vendor. If only these little machines could talk and tell us where they have been.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:54 AM

Pat Lancaster:
If only these little machines could talk and tell us where they have been.

Pat, I just checked the Yahoo Featherweight group.  My my, you have really stirred things up there...lol!  Lots of comments flying around...your getting lots of info - at least sideways info.

Two things I noticed:  1) Someone mentioned that the cases for the first run machines were green.  Your case is black, just like my 1948 FW.  So, it could be that the seller put a newer case with this older machine...which means you do not have the original case for that machine.  2)  Connie from Seattle asked for a picture of the back of the machine.  It sounds like that is really an important picture to post.  Apparently there are some differences in the early machines that are only apparent from the back...so you need to get that picture on there so the knowledgeable people can give you an educated opinion.  

Isn't this fun!!!

BTW, there is another group for the White FR Treadle machines too!  I just joined the other night and am getting some help there too!   

What would we do without the WWW!  This is so great to have all this information at our fingertips from all over the world...

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

I know that the case is not the original, and the white power switch certainly isn't, LOL.. I am at work and can't post any more pics till this evening. There is no badge on the back, but there are two serial number plates, one of which is blank. What does it all mean? Who knows?  I had no idea what I was starting by mentioning the blank plate! You are right that we can get info on the web, but I would like to find a book with info in it on the FWs and haven't found one yet.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 11:26 AM

Pat Lancaster:
You are right that we can get info on the web, but I would like to find a book with info in it on the FWs and haven't found one yet.

Pat, I know there are several good books on the care and servicing but I haven't ran into one specifically on the history etc that would include identification of rarities.  Maybe you ought to suggest that to Graham.  I think he would be the most likely one to write one.  And, because of his reputation, people would buy it!

Oh, I just thought of another info soure:  www.novamontgomery.com   In her Tips of the Month section you might find some references to identification of rare FW's.

What I do with articles of interest to me on the web, is copy and paste them into word documents.  For example I have one folder with articles on featherweights and a new one on the White FR treadle machines.  That way, I'm not dependent on a webpage still being there (or me being able to find it) years later and I have the information saved on my pc.  Also, I can easily print it out to for a binder if I want to.  (One advantage for me is that if there are ads attached I can eliminate them in the word doc.)

Good luck and I hope you get some definitive answers.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

I'm on Nova's mailing list and enjoy her newsletters. I misread the request for more pictures. My FW does have a decal on the back. Thought she was wanting another badge. Oh well, I read it too early in the morning I reckon.

I will have to look up a little bit of history to see what else was going on in 1933. I know about the depression but not sure what stage things were in. I mentioned having a lot of quilt blocks my aunt made in the 30's and I am wondering if she might have had a FW. The blocks are Dresden Plates and she embroidered names and places on them and some are dated. It looks like there is some machine stitches on the blocks and I wonder. . . . .

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 3:28 PM

Pat, did you see the latest post to you on the Yahoo group from Connie S in Seattle - directing you to:  http://thefeatherweight221factory.com/page27.php

This seems to be just what you were looking for and has several things in it that you described about your machine.  I forgot all about this site.  Great Info!

How wonderful that you have those Dresden Plate blocks with names and places on them...and dates.  That is a real treasure!  Are you thinking of making them into a quilt...or maybe a wall-hanging?  How man blocks do you have?   Would it be realistic to make them into several wall-hangings for family members?  I imagine, you want them preserved.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Donna, I went to the site and it does have a lot of good info. I clicked on the email address and it goes nowhere. I looked at the question of the week section and the last one was 2011. i seem to remember reading that site some time ago and they were moving and taking some time off. Could be someone else I am thinking of. Anyway, I was going to email him and see if perhaps he put his stuff together in a book.  Oh well. My machine seems to have passed the tests and proven to be a true 1933 with some vintage parts. I have no idea of a value so I guess I don't need to contact my insurance company. LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 11:08 PM

Pat, you are right...this is the guy that has "moved" and taken a FT job  and no longer is actively monitoring the website.  Marge P was lucky enough to catch him just before he was moving north a couple years ago and got some parts for her FW from him.  So far, it doesn't look like he has resumed activity on the site...but at least it is still up and has not been shut down.  It's too bad...he was such a good resource and so knowledgeable!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 11:45 PM

Pat, read this article on ISMACS:

http://www.ismacs.net/sewing_machine_articles/how_much_is_my_sewing_machine_worth.html

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Thanks for that article Donna. I checked on the Encyclopedia and on Amazon it is $135, out of my price range, LOL,  There are other more expensive books as well.  However, I did order a couple of other books on the history of sewing machines. Spent about $30. I really am not looking to become a collector, but this has piqued my interest in the history. I looked through the ISMACs site the other day and they have lots of pictures of very early sewing machine. Some look very awkward and others are very pretty. Graham himself has some interesting stories of buying antiques. Over all an interesting site.

I don't really need any kind of value placed on my machine if I am going to keep it. I wasn't expecting to get any offers on it so couldn't make an intelligent decision. Looking at the other site at the pictures pointing out various parts on my machine was very interesting, too bad he didn't compile  the info into a book. I am anxious to get my books now, LOL. Has it only been a week since I got this machine? Yes, but what a week! 

You mentioned finding a treadle group. Do you have a treadle? I'd love to try one someday, not sure if I am coordinated enough. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,765
Diana replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:04 AM

Hi Gang,  While I was at the Oregon retreat, DH brought my Singer treadle machine into the living room.  It needs a really good cleaning but looks great.  I looked up the serial number and it was made in 1922.   It has the scroll front plate.  It was DH' s grandmother's machine.  I took pics but since my laptop died, I can't post them.  As soon as I can, I will get them posted somehow.  Kindle doesn't post pics.

Diana in East TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:22 AM

Pat Lancaster:
You mentioned finding a treadle group. Do you have a treadle? I'd love to try one someday, not sure if I am coordinated enough. 

Yes, I just got it last week too...on the way home from the Oregon Retreat.  Look back a few pages on this thread and you will see the picture and comments.  It's a White built in 1910 in Cleveland, Ohio.  It looks like it has been sitting in a chicken coop for that last 50 years, but the machine is actually in good shape considering.  I spent a couple hours yesterday vacuuming it (to get rid of as much yuk as possible) and then washing it down with just dish detergent and warm water.  It needs a lot more, but at least it was a start!  

The back-wheels on the frame don't roll so DH is concerned about scratching our tile floors, so it is still sitting outside (under-cover).  I tried WD40 on them without success, so DH is going to need to work on them.  I read last night that quite often they become "flat" and won't roll any more and need to be replaced.  Another DH project...LOL!

I haven't sewn on a treadle since I was a child, so not sure how I will do either...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:36 AM

Diana:
DH brought my Singer treadle machine into the living room.

Diana, lucky you to have one in the family.  That's why I ended up getting one from an antique store...such as it is.  

I have to admit, I don't think my machine is going to get the true going over mechanically that I would like, but just a good cleaning.  It runs and and that is the most important thing.  

Winthrop, WA

Page 21 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use