Page 20 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 317 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 11:51 PM

wow Donna, what a find!  It's beautiful!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:17 AM

Congrats, Donna.  I wish the original owner, who must have been excited about it when it was brand new, could know that it landed safely in the hands of a real quilter. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:42 AM

MNnancy:
 I'd be happy it's a bobbin and not a shuttle.

Me too!  I've been doing some research and the White rotary bobbin machines started being produced in the late 1890's and quickly became more popular than the shuttle machines (I wonder why...lol).   I haven't found a picture exactly like this machine yet, but I am thinking it looks similar to those dated to 1917.

Did you know that everything on the White machines operates reverse of a Singer?    " Everything about the White is the reverse of the Singer... the handwheel rotates away from you instead of toward you, and the thread rolls off of the bobbin in the favored, or easy, direction, not cutting back over a lip as on Singer round bobbins. One of the more common "help" calls on Treadle On is from new White owners who can't get their machine to stitch because they are trying to make it turn the same direction as a Singer."  Oh dear...This is going to be "fun"...hahaha!  

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:49 AM

Here is a picture of what my cabinet should look like (and hopefully will someday):

All the pieces are there...just needs a lot of TLC!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:34 AM

Wow Donna that is an awesome find.   A little TLC and she will be beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I am getting a new machine today. My Viking Platinum 16 came in yesterday and I'm picking it up today. I won't get it set up until tomorrow. I'm so excited!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Donna, that treadle is an awesome find. It will be beautiful.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:32 AM

I just called and found out my new/old White treadle machine was manufactured in 1910 in Cleveland, Ohio...amazing that it is in as good a condition as it is.  

DH just managed to get the bottom drawer open (that was locked) and I got another surprise.  The original accessory box was inside with what appears to be most of the original attachments.  Unfortunately no brush, oil or manual but those are all easily obtained.  There were a few "extra" attachments that fit a different sewing machine and won't fit this machine.

Gee, it just dawned on me that 1910 was my father's birth year too!  Should I name her Georgie?

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:26 PM

Donna B:

Here is a picture of what my cabinet should look like (and hopefully will someday):

All the pieces are there...just needs a lot of TLC!

Donna, my first memory of sewing was with a big fat needle on a flour sack -- embroidering the days of the week -- in 1953.  I was 3 years old.  My Grandma was teaching me basic embroidery stitches.  This year, I was talking about that with two of my other female cousins and found out that Grandma taught all of us -- and my cousin Gloria still has the original pattern.  She's going to share it with me so I can copy it unto fresh paper.

• Monday - Washing
  • Tuesday - Ironing
  • Wednesday - Mending
  • Thursday - Shopping
  • Friday - Baking
  • Saturday - Cleaning
  • Sunday - Go to Church

Anyway, in order to stay out of the way of all those grown-ups in the house -- I sat on a little handmade coiled rag rug on that treadle and stitched, but I couldn't rock back and forth -- those were the rules. We stuffed Sears catalogs under the treadle to keep it still.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:33 PM

Elaine Phillips:

I am getting a new machine today. My Viking Platinum 16 came in yesterday and I'm picking it up today. I won't get it set up until tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Congratulations, Elaine!  Good for you! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:04 PM

Quiltless:
Anyway, in order to stay out of the way of all those grown-ups in the house -- I sat on a little handmade coiled rag rug on that treadle and stitched, but I couldn't rock back and forth -- those were the rules. We stuffed Sears catalogs under the treadle to keep it still.

Sweet memory!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:05 PM

Elaine, it's 12 hours since your last post.  When do we get to see pictures of your new baby?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 46,560

Does anyone know how to get a ballpark figure for the value of a featherweight? I have one that I have been led to believe is rather rare and have received an offer on it sight unseen. I have no idea of the true value, it was a flea market find. I have done some internet searching but didn't find anything. Thanks for your help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 9:00 PM

Pat Lancaster:

Does anyone know how to get a ballpark figure for the value of a featherweight? I have one that I have been led to believe is rather rare and have received an offer on it sight unseen. I have no idea of the true value, it was a flea market find. I have done some internet searching but didn't find anything. Thanks for your help.

Pat, what is "rare" or exceptional about your featherweight if I might ask?  Maybe someone on here might have an idea if you were more specific.  But condition is everything, so without seeing it in person it would be foolish to guess at a true value.  

Have you joined the Featherweight Group on Yahoo?  It is moderated by Graham Forsdyke who is a reknown expert on Featherweights.  He will not give you a value or even an estimate but someone else might jump in and tell you if the amount you were offered is reasonable or not.  

I would definitely hold off on accepting any offer until you see comparable FW's and what they are selling at.  Keep an eye on Ebay...not the listed prices, but what they end up selling for.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 46,560

Donna B:
Pat, what is "rare" or exceptional about your featherweight if I might ask?
Good question. The answer is, I don't know for sure. This little beauty was a flea market find. I have had a white FW for a while, she's cute but she can't compare to the black ones. So, I have been trying to find one I can afford. I have been following the Yahoo group for some tie and asked a question about where the serial number was because it is in a different place than my white one. Graham said I might have a very rare machine and asked what the serial number was. He then told me it was the 1131st machine produced and congratulations.One of the others in that group contacted me about selling it. Right now I am trying to find out what exactly I have, so am looking to educate myself. I had to replace the cord on the foot controller and she purrs like a kitten. Not too bad for an 80 year old lady, LOL. She does have some scratches and the paint is worn along the front edge, but I think she is beautiful. I will be satisfied to keep her, but am not against selling her either. I am no photographer, but here is a picture.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 20 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use