Top 10 Posters

Another Sewing Machine??

Page 19 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 317 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,424
Points 72,050
Karla replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 7:59 PM

Me too, Debbie and Kris, although I just put in a bid for $300 for a 1949 (my birth year).  I'll be in shock if I get it for that much, especially since I'm pretty broke this month.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 395

My sister in Florida was at an estate sale......she saw a little black box.  She asked the girl, how much did she want for this, and she said I don't know, $20.00  Wow.  She took it.  I was going crazy because I really thought she would give it to me.......I was in Texas at the time.  But she ended up selling it to a quilter for $350.00  Even that was a deal.  It was beautiful, very little used, decals are good and ran like a dream.  She is always on the look out for one of those black boxes..... :>)  I have had several in my sewing lifetime.  But my little red one, named Poppy Girl will be with me till the end......  I'd get one if I had to do without food.....just my opinion.

Enjoy the hunt.  They are still out there.  Just look at every sale you see.  Some folks don't realize exactly what they have.  I have educated my son's for when I am gone.  On all my machines.  They know they are not garage sale items....

Again, enjoy, gloria g. Hemingway, SC 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,027
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 9:18 PM

We saw a singer portable at a yard sale this past weekend. She was selling it for $50. It looks like a slightly large cousin to the featherweight. In good condition but she had no power cord.  My friend bought it. The sewing machine shop in town sell the cords for less than $15.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295

Hi All, I need advice on an new purchase I made ... All you treadle owners.... I purchased a 1910 Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle yesterday at an estate sale. Looks good but is dusty dirty on the outside of the machine. What is the best cleaner to use to clean then what do I use to shine or polish it up with? The decals are a little worn and I don't want to mess them up any more than they already are. Please HELP.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 8,995
Pamela replied on Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:39 PM

If you Google the topic you'll find info. When I purchased mine, I found info on eHow.com for restoring antique singer treadles. Are you planning to sew on it? I would take it to a reputable dealer that can examine it for possible parts that need replaced. Most importantly will be the belt. Lots of oil on the gears, wheels, etc. will also be important to making it run smoothly.

Make sure that you clean it gently. Use tung oil - per the eHow article -  and a soft cloth.

Hope this helps.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295

Pamela, Thank you for the info. I want to use it. Before I bought it I checked to see if the needle when up and down and It looks like they used it. The outside was the worst. I'll check eHow.com, I went to youtube.com. and I haven't seen all they had.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:09 PM

You will never guess what I found this afternoon on the way home from the Oregon Coast Retreat....a White Family Treadle Sewing Machine...FOR $35.00!!!  

I still can't believe it!  Both the cabinet and the machine are in rough condition, but for that price I think I can find the $$$ to bring it back to life.  (The decals are still in excellent condition.)  

If DH can fit this in the car with everything else, plus our dog, in the morning it will be a miracle.  Otherwise, the machine will be spending the winter here at my DS's house until we can come back to retrieve it with less baggage.

Here is a picture of this beauty in the rough:

(This picture was taken in the antique store near a window...thus the light streaks on the left side.)

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:14 PM

Donna,

This is a beauty, im glad its going to someone whos going to love it and restore it.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,027
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:17 PM

Wow Donna. What a great find.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:34 PM

How cool!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:45 PM

That is very pretty !!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295
weezee56 replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 1:00 AM

Donna, I hope you have a great time fixing her up. Looks like you got the deal of the day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,020
Points 169,518
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 5:45 PM

What a find Donna, congrats!  With tender loving care you've got a gem.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 9:58 PM

Thanks everyone!  

We just got home and DH had managed (I honestly do not know how) to get it and everything else from a week at the Retreat (including two other sewing machines) into the car.  So, the White Rotary is now at it's new home - but still in the car.  It's dark out and we are going to wait until morning to unload it.  It's been a long day of driving and we are both pretty tired and ready to take it easy for the evening.  Morning will be soon enough to move it inside and check it out further.  My first priority is to clean the plate with the serial # so I can read it and call Husvarna (who has the White records) to find out when this machine was manufactured.  My guess is around 1917, but we will see if I am right.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:54 PM

That is gorgeous, Donna!  And what a great table, too!  Fixing them both up will be a fun project!  So you said the bobbin case was in the drawer?  I'd be happy it's a bobbin and not a shuttle.  Not sure I could figure one of those out.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Page 19 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use