Top 10 Posters

Another Sewing Machine??

Page 16 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 317 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 23,065
Debbie replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 8:27 AM

Wow!  I've been watching them on eBay but haven't bit the bullet yet.  Let's see, you did invite me to visit also, didn't you?  how far are you from me?  wish I could just take off and visit but alas, is not possible at this time.  someday!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:48 AM

Yes, Mimi, I will be bringing 'Sarah' with me.  She sews beautifully and she's so much fun.  And if the other one gets here and is available, maybe I will bring 2 of them....lol 

Diana in East Tn.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 11:09 AM

Mimi:

Diana:
I've got another Featherweight on it's way to my house.

Congrats, Diana!!  You got another one so when friends come to sew you have a machine for them to use.  (I can rationalize anything as long as it has to do with sewing and quilting.) Way to go.  I'll be down in three weeks.  Will you be bringing her to the retreat?

Ok guys, I am starting to feel left out. I don't have my Grandmother's yet as my father is not willing to part with it. It is a Treadle that she had to eventually have turned into electric for her because by the time she was 70 her Polio was to bad and she could not longer use the peddles. It is one of the few things my father has left of his mother so I think I will be waiting a while. So I think if I want one of these I will be looking for one one my own. Not sure what to look for tho. Any suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 200

I have been gone for a while, but love this thread!  If your machine is in a treadle base and the workings for the treadle are there, take off the motor and put on a belt and treadle away!  Just got my treadle up and ready to go-had to get a new bobbin case as the old one (from 1912) has tension problems.

Love my feather weight and am getting quite a collection on oldies-just got a Kenmore that looks like the old black Singers!  She is going to need some work as I think she was stored in a very hot place and all the wires are very brittle!  So, more fun to comr!

Bev in Indiana

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 12:23 PM

I think I was half asleep when I wrote my post or staring out the window at the mess the weather has played with the yard. Your guess is as good as mine at this point. 

I meant to say that my Grandmother could no longer use the peddles.  Since my Dad does not want to part with it but he has promised it to me when he is ready I will have to look for one on my own for now. What should I be looking for when I start searching. I will stay with a treadle for sure however.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 395

I'm new to this forum, but I too have a beautiful red featherweight.  I too wanted my birth year.  I got this one...... http://www.deskdave.com/Cornucopia.htm  Candy Apple Red....... it is beautiful, cause I'm kinda a strawberry girl and it  works like a charm.  I will have it till the end.......

Go ahead, get one.....I don't know what I did without mine....

gloria g. Hemingway, SC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025

gloria g. Walls:

I'm new to this forum, but I too have a beautiful red featherweight.  I too wanted my birth year.  I got this one...... http://www.deskdave.com/Cornucopia.htm  Candy Apple Red....... it is beautiful, cause I'm kinda a strawberry girl and it  works like a charm.  I will have it till the end.......

Go ahead, get one.....I don't know what I did without mine....

gloria g. Hemingway, SC

Wow those are nice, but the price tag is to much for me right now. How I would love one tho.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 2:09 PM

http://www.deskdave.com/Cornucopia.htm

while in this website, be sure to checkout the English garden, their latest fashion in Featherweights.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,355
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 3:03 PM

Diana

Soon you will have as many antique sewing machines as me.   I actually looked at 3 different treadle machines this weekend at estate sales.   None of them were as pretty as the ones I already have.  One was a brand that I had never heard of.... Elgin.   I knew they made watches but had never seen sewing machines.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025

One of these days, or I just wait until my father is willing to pass on my grandmother's to me. but with the longevity in our family I could be waiting a lonnnnggg time. LOL

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:13 PM

Nana,  Bob asked me if I was trying to match the number of machines that you have...lol    I said no, I just like them.   I'm going to bring the treadle into the living room from the old quilt room.  It needs a wheel because one is missing.  It needs a good cleaning but now I think I can do it myself.  Or at least take a look.  If it looks like too much, our local sewing machine repairman makes house calls.  He can come pretty quickly too.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 3:09 PM

Nana:

Diana

Soon you will have as many antique sewing machines as me.   I actually looked at 3 different treadle machines this weekend at estate sales.   None of them were as pretty as the ones I already have.  One was a brand that I had never heard of.... Elgin.   I knew they made watches but had never seen sewing machines.

Nana

What were the prices on the treadles?  Just curious.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,355
Nana replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 7:04 PM

Joni

The treadles went from $150 to $250.  I have seen some in better condition and slightly better prices.  I guess now that I have 3 of my own I have gotten more picky....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025

Nana, where have you seen them for those prices. The link I was given was selling them for over 1000.00. I would love a Treadle and can afford that price.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 382
Points 6,560
Phyllis replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 9:04 PM

Diana are you sure it wasn't an Elna instead of an Elgin?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Page 16 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use