Top 10 Posters

Another Sewing Machine??

Page 12 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 317 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:20 PM

MNnancy:

Woo hoo!  What a treat!  That's the same year as my Featherweight.  Is yours a scroll plate or striated?  I believe that was the year of the switchover.

While you are waiting for your baby to arrive, I recommend ordering the book Featherweight 221: The Perfect Portable from Amazon.  It's an interesting read on the history of the Featherweight and it contains an enlarged reproduction of the original user's guide.  

Thanks Nancy...it is the scroll plate.  I was hoping for one of those!  I was reading the preview on Amazon of the book: Featherweight 221: The Perfect Portable and do plan to purchase it.  I just haven't decided whether to get it on Amazon or from one of the parts dealers with some other "things" I may need.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:32 PM

Thanks Nana and Kris!  I honestly didn't think I even wanted one, but now I am really truly excited!  

I have been doing a lot of surfing through the FW websites, blogs, etc. and have looked at everything that MNNancy mentioned below plus many others...including Graham Forsdyke's website and Yahoo Group.    

Somewhere, I saw a FW Repair Kit that included Singer oil, motor lubricant, and crocus cloth & a thin abrasive wire that is used for removing nicks and burrs from the needle hole in the throat plate.  The kit had a few other things too.  I thought I had this bookmarked, but for the life of me, I cannot find this kit now that I want to order it.  Does anyone know what I am talking about and who had this kit for sale?  I've seen other "repair kits" but none with the crocus cloth and abrasive wire.  Help!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 5 2013 4:32 PM

Donna B:
Somewhere, I saw a FW Repair Kit that included Singer oil, motor lubricant, and crocus cloth & a thin abrasive wire that is used for removing nicks and burrs from the needle hole in the throat plate.  The kit had a few other things too.  I thought I had this bookmarked, but for the life of me, I cannot find this kit now that I want to order it.  Does anyone know what I am talking about and who had this kit for sale?  I've seen other "repair kits" but none with the crocus cloth and abrasive wire.  Help!!!

I found it...finally!  If anyone else is interested, here is the link:  http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/caution221.html

(you may have to scroll down to see the kit)

I found this site to also have a lot of good FW information -  go to the home page and browse the list on the right...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,980
Points 368,862
Kris replied on Sun, May 5 2013 5:20 PM

Thanks Donna.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Sun, May 5 2013 5:45 PM

I will check that site out as I'm always looking for a deal on a white featherweight.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Mon, May 6 2013 7:59 AM

Thank you Donna!

I have been fiddling around with "Kitten", my featherweight long enough.  Now I have to ask advice on my problem from all you featherweight owners.  Donna, my Hook Point is set in the groove as you stated to me earlier so that's not the problem.  The problem I'm having is with the Needle Thread Tension.  The TAKE UP SPRING seizes up when I'm sewing along and my bobbin thread is not making a stitch, also my stitches on top are erratic, sometime good sometime long thread.  I hope I'm explaining myself so that you could understand.  HELP!  If I fail at this I'll have to pay a service center when I know it's probably something simple that I'm not seeing.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Signed,

Frustrated!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Mon, May 6 2013 8:11 AM

Marie,   I had the problem with the spring last night and found I didn't have the thread in between the things where you wind the thread before going thru the spring.  Mine was behind the tension thing and my thread kept breaking.  Once I found it and put the thread in the right groove, sews fine now.  Maybe that will also solve your stitch problem too.  I hope so.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 10:36 AM

Marie, my FW hasn't even arrived yet so I have not even sewn on one...so no experience from me...sorry!  But, I have been reading a LOT!  One thing I am seeing mentioned on almost every site that you absolutely must do with these machines is bring the bobbin thread up and hold both threads to the back while you sew your first few stitches.  I don't know if you are doing that, but if not it will certainly prevent problems for you.

Looks like Diane had a good suggestion...let us know if that solves your problem.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:28 AM

Diana:

Marie,   I had the problem with the spring last night and found I didn't have the thread in between the things where you wind the thread before going thru the spring.  Mine was behind the tension thing and my thread kept breaking.  Once I found it and put the thread in the right groove, sews fine now.  Maybe that will also solve your stitch problem too.  I hope so.

Diana in East Tn. 

Thanks Diana, I checked that out and that's been threaded correctly but I appreciate the check list I've been given and hope for more.  I'm suspecting the timing is off because the upper thread catches the bobbin thread some of the time but when it jams it seems the upper thread winds itself around the bobbin case.  That's my next area I'll be working on.  I think it got down to the timing for Gini so I hope she comments here.  If not I'll post in "what have you been up to today",  I think she reads that thread daily.  I'm going to have lunch and then head for the timing mechanism, wish me luck.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:35 AM

Donna B:
bring the bobbin thread up and hold both threads to the back while you sew your first few stitches.  I don't know if you are doing that, but if not it will certainly prevent problems for you.

I have been doing that also Donna but thanks anyway.  Like I said to Diane, a check list of things really helps because something as simple as bringing the threads to the back of the machine is crucial.  You gals and I will solve my problem, I'm sure.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:36 AM

That should read, Diana, sorry.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:13 PM

Marie:
I have been doing that also Donna but thanks anyway.  Like I said to Diane, a check list of things really helps because something as simple as bringing the threads to the back of the machine is crucial.  You gals and I will solve my problem, I'm sure.

Marie, when mine arrives I am sure I will be full of lots of questions too!  My FW is suppose to have been completely serviced, adjusted, and tested before being offered for sale.  I hope that proves to be true...because I have never sewn on a featherweight, let alone a Singer...would you believe.  I am even concerned about that crazy looking foot pedal with the two things sticking up from it...LOL!  What is that about???  I guess I will find out next week when mine arrives...  I'll be the one asking you for help then!!!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:29 PM

Marie, I ran into a site that might be helpful for you:

http://www.novamontgomery.com/featherweight-parts-891.htm

This woman not only teaches FW Maintenance Classes and repairs featherweights herself, but she has a few little things geared toward us mechanically-challenged quilters like cards made of heavy weight laminated stock that are made to store right in your FW case.  Available cards are for 1) the Basics (threading, winding the bobbin, etc.),      2) Maintenance 3) Cosmetics 4) Troubleshooting, 5) Accessories  and 6) On Binding (not related to the featherweights).  

The list is in the column on the left...scroll down to Featured Products...then click on each one for details about that card.

These are a little pricey...I wish she offered a package price, rather than having to purchase them each individually.  But reading her "Featherweight Tips of the Month", I think she is a very knowledgeable, a good resource with a lot of good information.  She also has a Facebook page and links her tips there.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Mon, May 6 2013 6:17 PM

Donna B:
 I'll be the one asking you for help then!!!

I hope not, Donna.  Thanks for the link, I'll be going there soon.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,945

Donna B:
 I am even concerned about that crazy looking foot pedal with the two things sticking up from it...LOL!

I really like my featherweights foot pedal. I'm sure you will like yours once you get use to it.

Page 12 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use