Top 10 Posters

Another Sewing Machine??

Page 4 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 317 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 1:36 AM

thanks Kris, I have seen alot of them used and I was really curious as to their appeal .  I 'm not sure this is one I'd ever want ,but you never know . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 1,095
Qwkslver replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 6:58 AM

Wonderful.  I recently bought my first and then shortly after my second (First a black, second a white).  You will love it.  It's so teeny and easy to sew on.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,195
MzA replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:12 AM

OK, guys.  Plllleeeeaaaazzzzzz tell me what is the draw to the Feather weights?  Aren't they high maintenance?  I know so many people who have one but I just don't get it, LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:19 AM

Kris,

I would love one, but not until im working again, just a question, do you just piece on them or do you do your quilting on them as well.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,750
Points 364,907
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:40 AM

Frances,

I'll be using mine for piecing. I quilt on a frame or by hand.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:20 PM

Barbara

Those little babies are fantastic for paper piecing.   You can travel with them and not worry about jarring a computer board loose.   There is essentially nothing that can go wrong with them except a motor that wears out.   New motors are very inexpensive and only require 2 screws to replace.   I love sewing on mine at retreats.  Don't take up much room and isn't nearly as heavy as any of my other machines.    Plus they are just so darn cute and I love the history.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:24 PM

MzA:

OK, guys.  Plllleeeeaaaazzzzzz tell me what is the draw to the Feather weights?  Aren't they high maintenance?  I know so many people who have one but I just don't get it, LOL

Avis

These little guys are anything but high maintenance.   I do all my own maintenance which involves removing a few screws, wiping off the old grease on the gears and adding new and then placing some oil in the appropriate holes.    I do the oiling everytime I use mine just to keep everything running smoothly but only do the greasing maybe once a year or so.   A whole lot less maintenance then the new machines plus I don't have to pay anyone to do it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:24 PM

Thanks Nana, I have just been really curious as several ladies at my guild also have them.  I'm very gald you all love them .I have not decided if I do or not .  Just gathering opinions .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:25 PM

Frances

The throat space on these little babies is way small to do much quilting.   Although you could probably do the quilting on pot holders and such.   I use mine for just the piecing.   All of the machines I have seen have a beautiful stitch quality.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:27 PM

Barbara

If you had said something at retreat you could have tried mine to see what you think.   It is pretty nice to just have a little box about 12" long that holds everything and doesn't weigh that much to carry to sew ins.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,195
MzA replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 1:46 PM

Nana:

MzA:

Avis

These little guys are anything but high maintenance.   I do all my own maintenance which involves removing a few screws, wiping off the old grease on the gears and adding new and then placing some oil in the appropriate holes.    I do the oiling everytime I use mine just to keep everything running smoothly but only do the greasing maybe once a year or so.   A whole lot less maintenance then the new machines plus I don't have to pay anyone to do it.

OK, but that's the high maintenance, removing screws and grease and oiling them.  Guess I'm just more impatient in my old age. :-).  They are cute as a button though.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:46 PM

Nana,

Are all your 5000 machines electric or do you have any that are manual.

Has anyone used a treadle machine and what are they like.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:49 PM

Thank you Kris and Nana,

For answering my questions theres no one i can ask at this side, plus i trust your answers.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:08 PM

Barbara:
What is it about the featherweight

Barbara,

I have two featherweights.  One was my mom's....I call her Babs. She's 63 years old with the striped plate.  The other I got on an ebay auction.  She's 79 years old and has the fancy swirled plate. No name yet.   What I love most about my featherweights is I can service them myself.  There are no computers, no gizmos or thing-a-ma-bobs to worry about . Just a straight forward machine.   It only does a straight stitch but it is a beauty rivaling any from modern day machines.  My girls are workhorses and only weigh 12 lbs.  They are easy to take to a class and if I'm piecing they are all I need.  I also gave my daughter a Singer 501 which is the big sister to the 221.  She has a slant needle and only weighs about 15 lbs.  I've asked my DD if I could please have the 501 back because it does more stitches but is still portable.  She doesn't know how to sew and probably won't ever learn.  Both models will last forever.  Why two featherweights, you ask??? I have two granddaughters.  One already wants to learn to sew.  They will be given to the ones I know will use them.  I know that I will always love my Janome 7700 for quilting but give me a featherweight any day for that beautiful straight stitch.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:22 PM

Frances:
Has anyone used a treadle machine and what are they like.

Frances,  I have a Singer 66-1 treadle machine in the original oak cabinet with thistle decals on it that my mom taught my brother to sew on.  She didn't trust him with the featherweight.  She's not used much but I do love her history.

Page 4 of 22 (318 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use