How do you make your quilt labels?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 Posted: Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:53 AM

I have made some using fabric in my copy machine and then making sure it is set, but I have wonder if there is a better way. How have you made your quilt labels?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Hi zoetc49,

I have some copy fabric but havn't tried it yet. I also have a couple of iron on book that I then color with fabric pens. Then again, I will mostly iron on freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric so it's easier to write on. There are many tutorials on youtube also. It is all in your preference.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,297
Points 414,004
gini replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:32 PM

i'm guessing that there are as many ways to make quilt labels as there are quilters.   most of the time i don't make a label, label.   i embroider my signature and date,  on the front and disguise it.  the family has had a great time over the years hunting for my signature.   my maiden name is broadsword, so i embroider a sword and stitch my current last name beside it with the date.   that is how i sign my paintings and most  any work i do, too.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,297
Points 414,004
gini replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:33 PM

and when i am being lazy  i use a pigma pen, which is actually a bit neater than my stitching.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,408
Points 40,125
Mimi replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 2:10 PM

I use an orphan block or some extra focus material from the quilt and sew a piece of muslin to it that is the same size.  I write on the muslin with a pigma pen including all the important information.  Then I cut another piece of muslin the same size as both blocks, sew them wrong sides together leaving an opening for flipping. Turn everything right sides out and stitch it to the quilt before I bind it.  I try to catch at least one side of the label in a seam allowance for the binding.  Kinda long but it works for me.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 634
Points 12,415

I've never put a label on a quilt that I've made, although I guess I should. But I do quilt a dove somewhere on each quilt, hidden within the other quilting. My last name translates to Dove.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:50 PM

I don't do it on all of them, but I think it is a good idea so years from now someone else knows who it went to and who made it.

You all have come up with some neat ideas. I am going to use some of these ideas.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 334
Points 6,610
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 9:06 PM

I always label my quilts. I usually try to find a short poem or saying, something that has meaning to or about the person I am giving it to. I pick a contrasting piece of fabric out of my scraps, usually a very small print or marbled fabric and then embroider the label with the poem and the date I finished it and my name. I attach it the back at the bottom left corner. On the quilt itself I try to always have a celtic knot somewhere in the quilting, and if I can't get it onto the front then I put it on the label next to my name...... it's a Celtic heritage thing....lol 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,394
Points 360,987
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:39 PM

I don't think I've ever done the same thing twice for any quilt labels. I've hand or machine embroidered, printed a photo, written with a Pigma pen and I've quilted my name and the year in quilts.

I do whatever moves me at the time and, if in a hurry, I go for super simple; name of quilt, designer, recipient, date.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 450
Raewyn replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 1:08 AM

This is something I have been thinking about lately since the ladies in my quilt class say that you should label your quilts. I'd like to do something unique to my quilts and you all have made some great comments. Thanks for the advise.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 8:40 PM

Mimi:

I use an orphan block or some extra focus material from the quilt and sew a piece of muslin to it that is the same size.  I write on the muslin with a pigma pen including all the important information.  Then I cut another piece of muslin the same size as both blocks, sew them wrong sides together leaving an opening for flipping. Turn everything right sides out and stitch it to the quilt before I bind it.  I try to catch at least one side of the label in a seam allowance for the binding.  Kinda long but it works for me.

I really like this idea and I think I"m going to try this on my next label.   Sounds like a great way to do it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,408
Points 40,125
Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 9:40 PM

Karla:
I really like this idea

Thanks Karla. I like that the label relates to the quilt top.  

Now, you have to tell me how you get so many beautiful quilts finished in such a short time.  I'm always amazed at your productivity.  You rock!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 1:29 AM

I actually feel like I'm a slacker compared to some on this site, but if you saw how neglected my house is, you'd figure it out.  I did manage to finish the wall hanging I began in Branson tonight while sitting in front of the boob tube.  I normally don't watch much TV as DH has complete control over it and I get really tired of his westerns and war movies.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,408
Points 40,125
Mimi replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 8:41 AM

Karla:
I get really tired of his westerns and war movies.

Oh I can really relate.  That's why I have a very small TV in my sewing room.  I can watch what I want and sew at the same time.  It's all good.  And you're no slacker.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 8:51 AM

That is ok. I still have not found a good way that works for me yet with the labels, and I work in my dining room (what a mess) but I can still hear back ground noise and get what I want done. We are currently looking at two options, Tell the last child it is time to move out or get a bigger house. LOL

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use