Top 10 Posters

It has become a monster.....and I have to vent!

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:49 AM

I have to laugh at your story.  Not at you!, but just at the situation.  The first time I took my daughter shopping for fabric with me was actually for a dress pattern for her!

I let her choose the first fabric, and then I proceeded to pull other fabrics to go along with it.  Mind you, not to match the color, but to compliment the color.  She kept telling me that it was going to be ugly and she wouldn't ever wear it.  Long story short, when I got finished, she actually wore it out!

As you will come to find out, there are no quilt police.  Make what you like and mix your colors/fabrics/prints to your heart's content.  Maybe if you look at the other colors you were given, you can toss in some purples and maybe some yellows to help balance out the colors.  Have some fun with them! 

If, when I buy fabric (not always knowing what to do with it), I may change my mind several times as to which pattern to use. 

It might be that the colors you chose would work really well in a log cabin pattern.  Just have fun with it!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:02 AM

Hey Deb, I would consider myself a wannabe and a beginner at the same time, probably a scary combination. 

But I think I love finding fabric just as much as I love putting them all together.  I buy fabric for no particular reason at all...I have 2 entire dressers full of fabric that I just had to have.  When I see something on sale that I really like, I will buy it and just keep it for something to come. 

Like other people have said, I would use the pieces you have cut, it will probably turn out fabulous.  Why not give it a try?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:02 AM

It will be a pretty monster anyway!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 6,775
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:29 AM

LOL...great story...I have been there too...I've bought fabric that I thought was perfect but got home didn't like it and never used it...but that is the beauty of quilting...there are no wrong answers..cause  you can always find a way to use it...and as said above a scrappy quilt would be perfect for you...a quilt of many colors! From what you say your colors are they sound really pretty...I am doing the Mystery Quilt 8 and the fabric I am using for it is some I bought a year ago to use in a project and changed my mind....so you see it all works out....just have FUN.......and hiding it from the hubby......I do that too!!!...LOL

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:22 PM

Been there, done that!  I don"t k now how many times I have been at a quilt shop/fabric store & thought"this piece would be great for my latest quilt!"  Only to get home and discover I was wrong.  That is how you build up your fabric stash....one mistake at a tme!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 290
lalyons replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 4:36 PM

Hi Deb, I love this story and yes we have all been there.  I agree with all that are saying to make it a scrappy quilt and use everything you have, you won't be disappointed. 

Lee-Ann

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use