Top 10 Posters

It has become a monster.....and I have to vent!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 180
Deb Posted: Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:51 PM

Oh dear....

I am a new quilter. At a local quilt guild, a kind member gave me a box of cut pieces to a simple quilt to get me started. The colors were beautiful to start with blues, purples, teals and a bit of pink. Well...I have 3 adult daughters who came and told me their opinions. "Mom...I think you should go with just the blues and greens" so I sorted the pieces and yeah...it looked good BUT there wasn't enough so I headed to the quilt store, but forgot the box of pieces but I found a few in the store that were in the group and went shopping! (You all understand this part, right?) 

I got home and excited began cutting away. Now today, I sorted them out with the original and (drum roll please)....the new colors ARE beautiful....but the original blues are purple based...the new blues are green based and I bought a bunch of greens to match the blues I bought so the original dont match.

In the end....I have enough for 2-3 of the same quilt all cut....purple/blues...green/blues...pink/purples...and teals that kinda match them all. 

I figured that only another quilter or wannabee (as my daughters call me) would understand this whole dilemma. The question is...did I learn a lesson? Probably not!

Im so glad to have a place to vent...now I have to go hide the evidence from the hubby!!

And ...I have yet to stitch anything...

Deb

• | Post Points: 170
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:59 PM

Deb, I learned along time ago just to ignore my DDs,  I would just go ahead and use them make it scrappy

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 5:21 PM

ROFLMAO. Been there. Done that. Plan to do it all again!!  :D

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Oh Deb, this is such a funny story. Why, because probably all of us can relate. My beautiful, sweet daughter (35) has no sense of color (or fashion), so I usually listen politely and do my own thing. You will probably have a lot more stories to tell as you go along. Have fun!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:43 PM

hi deb, welcome to the group.  what a funny story.  i would just go ahead and use them all who says you can't?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,824
Points 366,012
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:12 PM

Deb:
I figured that only another quilter or wannabee (as my daughters call me) would understand this whole dilemma. The question is...did I learn a lesson? Probably not!

LOL. Welcome to the club Deb.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:22 AM

Deb Welcome to the club. I think we have all done what you described in your tale. LOL I know I have , I have to agree with the others and just use them ,make it a scrappy quilt ,which are usually very pretty quilts, the best thing to do is just go with your instinct,on your choice of colors, this is one reason why Scrappy quilts are my favorites. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:58 AM

Or if you have some t-shirts with stains on the front.....use some blocks to sew on the t-shirts and hide them.....   Make blocks and just have fun with them. 

We've all been there when the new fabric just bought just doesn't match what you have at home.  You have learned that you need to take your fabric with you that you need to match.  Have fun and enjoy the lesson.

Diana in East Tn.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,365
Points 37,240
Linda replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:57 AM

Welcome to the club. Scrappy quilts are the greatest. Or you could just add to your stash. Either way you haven't done anything that we haven't done. Can't wait to see a photo of the end result!!

Hugs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:39 AM

My two daughters didn't like the colors I had selected for my quilt and told me it was the ugliest combination they had ever seen.  Long story short, when the quilt was finished, they apologized and told me it was my best quilt to date.  My advice, do what you want...and enjoy the result.  As you put it together you'll know if you like it.  If not, you'll take it apart (I've done this many times) and put it together a different way.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,409
Points 47,175
Angele replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:08 PM

Deb, welcome to the group.  I'm sure you will find ways to put all that fabric to good use.. Now you know listen to your heart first. 

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 617
Points 10,685
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:21 PM

I recently made a quilt that everyone questioned the colors, but when it was all done they were like" I did not know it would look so good". You can visualize how it will turn out, do what you feel.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,752
Points 38,885
ls2116 replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 2:31 AM

Everytime you have extra cooks in the kitchen the pot of stew' recipe changes more.  stick to you heart or gut to find the resolution.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,975

Hey Deb - I feel ya! I just started myself and had to learn many similar lessons. What  you need to do is power thru! Make things .. some will come out bad some will come out amazing and you probably will have to buy much more fabric to get just what you imagined in the first place. When people give me hints I write it down with their name next to it and try to think of a gift that'd be useful to them with those colors/suggestions. Welcome to the club!

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 670
Prairiemom replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 11:50 PM

LOL thank goodness my daughters have no interest in my quilting other than to buy me what I specifically ask for, for my  birthday, christmas etc. e

For my first quilt class, I didn't buy my backing with my top material. So when I went to get it  the lady in the  store said the backing didn't matter as much so I interpreted this to mean any thing would do so I bought enough of this large floral print that didn't even remotely match the top.  I still have it in my stash good thing it was on sale.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use