Mercerized Cotton thread??

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Female
296 Posts
Points 26,470
Darlene posted on Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:48 PM

I am working on microwave bowl potholders and the directions call for 100% cotton for all "ingredients" in the project so that they do not start a fire when used in the microwave.  I have found that the majority of my thread is listed as "100% mercerized cotton" or some of the quilting threads say that they are "100% glaced" cotton.

Anyone know if there is any polyester in either of these products?

I would hate to be the reason why someone has a fire in their microwave and have stopped until I find out for sure.

Thanks for any info you might be able to share.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

As long as it say 100% cotton you are great

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,714 Posts
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:51 PM

What I found:

Mercerised cotton thread is thread that has been treated with sodium hydroxide. It is stronger than thread that hasn't been treated. Mercerised cotton is also known as "Pearl" or "Pearle" cotton.

Some mercerised cotton have polyester cores. Check before buying.

Glazed cotton is coated with a glaze to make it shiny. The glaze can rub off and gum your needle so it's usually reserved for hand sewing not recommended for machines.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
296 Posts
Points 26,470

Thanks Elizabeth.

Appreciate your answer.  I will proceed with these potholders.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
296 Posts
Points 26,470

Thanks Kris.  The thread I am using which is labeled Mercerised is not as thick as pearl cotton.  I have had a couple local friends reply to my text info search that they felt as long as it states 100% cotton, I was okay and Elizabeth replied the same.

As far as the glazed [glaced], that is good to know about being intended to be used for hand quilting.  It does have a diffferent texture and I suspected that it should not be used in my machine.  I will save for hand stitching.

Thanks again.  Have a good day.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,714 Posts
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 6:45 PM

You're welcome Darlene. Glad to be of any help.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use