Need some design advice

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 580
Sue posted on Thu, Mar 14 2013 9:11 AM

I have this material to make a small quilt for the littl girl next door.  She will have a birthday soon and wanted a quilt.  I am not very experienced.  I have made quilts mainly with just the block and chevon design.  I am looking for suggestions on a simple, but nice design for the quilt.   The two top materials are around 3 yards.  The others are about 1.5 yards with the lighter blue around 1 yard.  Thank You.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Tam's Patch is a fun very easy quilt and only needs three colors.  I have made several childrens quilts from the pattern

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 580
Sue replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 10:19 AM

what is that?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,461 Posts
Points 116,610

Sue:

what is that?

Sue, I found this free pattern for Tam's Patch.  http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TamsPatchBlock.html

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,186 Posts
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 10:46 AM

Sue, If you googletam,s Patch Quilt Pattern it will give you instructions and pics on how to make it. Also, another easy one is the Nine Patch where you use 5" squares in three rows of three = 9 then cut them in fours, half and half again- mix them up and sew back together. You can google this one , too. Also, If you use the mini mouse in center say 20" block and then use other colors as borders say 2" for first border - 4" second border 6" third border- just an example.  There are tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt Co.com for free by Jenny Doan and she will show you how to make simple Quilts step by step. I love her and have her classes on Quilty.com Quilting Quickly 1 and 2 . Hope this helps!!!   Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 10:52 AM

I think Tam's Patch would be great, using the Mini print as the main fabric, since the print is too large to cut up into smaller squares.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Judy, thanks for posting the link for Tam's Patch.  As a beginner I found this much easier than the nine patch and loved being able to use a focus fabric.  Minnie would be great for this

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 6,735
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 10:58 AM

the card trick design is fast and easy and great for a kids quilt

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,342 Posts
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 12:46 PM

Sue the Tam's pattern looks like a great pattern.  Your Minnie Mouse would be a real superstar in that pattern.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use