Top 10 Posters

Embroidery machine which to buy?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Points 10,495
zoetc49 posted on Wed, Mar 13 2013 11:53 PM

I was thinking of buying a new toy, not sure how much I will use it. But I have looked at the Brother PE-770, and the Janome 350e.  The sales person was not much interested in showing me much as she was just back from the quilt show, she said she would show me more when I knew what I wanted. Like I will ever go back there....

What do you have, what do you like about your machine? Cost is a factor here too. I can get the Brother at Walmart for close to $600.00, and the Janome for $1500.00. Would you have spent more for a better machine? Do you regret your purchase? Do you use it much?   Thank you !! 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 11:36 AM

Hi!  I just bought a Janome 350E.  I haven't had time yet to use it so can't tell you much about it.  My retailer said you can download on a flash drive stick many free online designs from the internet. You must remember to get the download jfe (?) for the janome, but, it comes with many designs on it. My gentleman was very helpful and supportive and I'm sorry your experience wasn't so.  I also considered the Baby Lock embroidery machine but went with what I was and who I was familiar with.  Hope you have good luck in your search!!!

Happy Quilting!!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I bought a Viking SE about 5 years ago.  Of course, today it is outdated.  I was in the market for a new machine and I knew I wanted a Viking and decided that since this would be the last machine I would ever purchase I should go for the embroidery.  I had never been exposed to machine embroidery and didn't know the first thing about it.  I guess I thought you pushed a button and a design magically appeared.  I soon discovered that there's more to it than that and I guess I just don't have the mental capacity to figure it out.  I think I have completed one embroidery project.  I spent a lot of extra money for the embroidery option let along the thread, hoops, stabilizers and software that would enable me to do anything from portraits to cross stitch not to mention all the hours of frustration in trying to figure it all out.  Perhaps I just don't have enough interest for it to work for me.  For me, if I had it to do over, I would just buy the Viking quilters model and forget embroidery.

I think the question is first, do you really want to do embroidery?  Have you any knowledge about machine embroidery? How do you plan to use the embroidery?  What are you able to spend on a machine?  How many designs are in the machine? Can you download designs directly to the machine by computer or stick?  Then after downloading, can you reconfigure your designs if necessary?  Do you need additional software?  What size hoops will the machine accommodate?  Will these hoops accommodate the projects you intend to make?  Maybe these questions will help you come up with other questions to ask the next dealer you visit.

Good luck.  I hope you find the right machine for you.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Points 10,495
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:48 AM

That was so thoughtful of you to put things into prospective for me. Your right, I have wonder is this something that I really want to do. I think the answer is no. I only thought it would be neat to do labels for my quilts. Then I thought well, if I did that then I might want to do other neat things, meaning a bigger nicer machine. But the truth of it is that I really don't like embroidery much. If it's hand done that is different.  I do have one person that for now can do the labels for me or I can just get a fabric marker and write out the label, or maybe get a small machine that can do that for me.  I guess I will post that question as a new one on here. Thank you, you just helped me save money and frustration!!   

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Points 10,495
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:50 AM

Do let me know how you like it in time. Ease of use, and if you find that you do use it for what you wanted it for, etc.,  I think that machine is a nice one, so good choice!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,050
Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:57 PM

I love the embroidery module on my Viking Designer Diamond, especially the self-cutting feature. I don't know if that helps. I'm beginning to use it more than I did at first but I don't regret buying it. My next project is to learn to quilt with the embroidery unit.

Not Ranked
21 Posts
Points 540

Zoetc 49

This message couldn't of come at a better time.  I was just gonna post a similar question---I too, just exactly like you was looking at the PE-770 and the Janome 350E, big price difference.  But exactly how would I use, I too more or less wanted to do quilt labels. Seen on the JC Penny's website that the PE-770 was priced at $548.00 being it is craft month, so here it is like teasing me to buy the thing. But I too am on the mends of how I would use it.  I have been racking my brain for a long time on this purchase. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,347 Posts
Points 241,992
Thea replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:29 PM

If you want to check it out and not spend a lot of money but get a machine that you can use for other things too - check out the brother 270D.  It is a small machine - great for classes - light weight and you can buy it on Ebay for between 2-300 dollars... I wouldn't let the bidding go higher then 300 but just keep trying with each machine - it sells at Wally World for $400... you can get brother software for it - it does the small designs - 4x4 - which would be great for your labels... and actually 4x4 designs can be used quite often - on regular quilts... 

But you could get a taste for machine embroidery and not spend much money - and have a great little machine for taking to classes - use when your big machine goes in for maintenance and use on retreats - fits in the over head of a plane so can be carried on without any difficult... 

Just a thought!  I bought one years ago for my best friend back in NY and she absolutely loved it - after she passed we gave it to her SIL and she loved it - it is a good little work horse machine.

Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Points 10,495

That is a better price that Walmart. I have not done as I suggested to you on your other question and looked on you tube, but that might be a start for both of us and see what it would do and if you feel that you would use it. I know on my sewing machine, I use about 3 of the stitches that it has, and it has over 50, so go figure.

Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Points 10,495

I will look at that, I might just learn how to do my lables as others have suggested by using a waterproof pen. But I will look at this as that might be the best way for me to go . Thanks 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use