Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,543
Points 51,255
Ginny Posted: Tue, Mar 12 2013 2:40 PM

Boy, am I ever having a problem getting a quilt quilted.  Y'all might remember when I had a quilt sent back to me because it would pucker it she quilted it?   The only problem then I could identify was that where it had been folded it stood up a little in kind of points, which pressed out when I pressed it and it was again flat.   Well, I took it back to the long arm quilter and got a call from her yesterday that if she quilted it it would pucker.  I couldn't understand, I told her it flattens out nicely when pressed, well, she didn't like me saying that so she said she would just bring my quilt back unquilted and hung up.   So I sat here thinking, that really doesn't solve the problem if I can't identify what the problem is.  So I called the longarm quilting service back and asked if she would let me know what time she would be bringing it back as I wanted to find out just what the problem was.  The owner said that that wouldn't be possible as I had been nasty to her every time she talked to me.  I said, Ibeg your pardon?  I have only talked to her once just before calling back now and I wasn't being nasty at all , I simply didn't understand where the problem was and wanted her to show me so I could deal with it.  It turns out that the 2 outer borders were cut too long and would ruffle when quilted. " I said OMG is that what it is?  I completely understand,  I just didn't measure them as I should have.  Now that I know the problem I can correct it.  I thought the problem was in the body of the quilt."   So when I get it back, I will adjust the 2 borders and try to quilt it myself as I know she doesn't want to see that quilt come to her again.    The only problem with that is that I wanted loops and stars and I will only be able to do straight line quilting.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,799
gini replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:54 PM

ginny, you can do loops and stars, it's easy.  make yourself a practice sandwich, relax your shoulders and wrists and let er flow.   you can do it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,212
Points 24,505
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:04 PM

yes you can do the loops and stars, very easy.  I do loops and stars all  the time.  I would be happy to do it for you on my longarm.  PM me if you are interested

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:57 PM

She should have handled it better than that. It's correct, the wavy borders will get worse as you long arm towards the bottom of the quilt, but she was awfully rude to treat you like that. 

I'm someone who doesn't like to give up on something and I try to find a solution. But that gets me into trouble sometimes, in fact, Thea shipped a quilt for me to longarm and it had wavy borders too. I didn't want disappoint her, and I didn't want to give up so I tried a solutioni thought would work even though my brain said "no, send it back."

Sure enough, I nearly ruined the quilt "trying so hard". I ended up finishing the main quilt and leaving the borders for Thea to do. 

The reason I'm telling you this is because your longarmer did the right thing, even though she went about it the wrong way. You see, long arming starts at the top of a quilt and works to the bottom. The waves would get worse and worse the closer you get to the bottom. 

It's not very comforting that she went about it so poorly. I'm sorry you were treated so badly. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,543
Points 51,255
Ginny replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:11 PM

Well, Christine I kind of have to agree with you, but I guess we will just put this up as a learning lesson.  I was careless in my haste to get it to the longarm quilter the first time,  but then when I asked the store owner what the longarmer had said was wrong, she didn't give me the correct info to follow up on.  I just wish it hadn't happened this way, but it did.  Now that I am armed with the correct info, I can correct it-- with some difficulty I will admit if I do the quilting.   Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use