Charge for making pillowcases?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
404 Posts
Points 6,875
Phyllis posted on Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:01 PM

I have been making pillowcases for my granddaughter for each holiday.  Now some of my friends have asked me to do the same for them.  I'm happy to do it, but I have no idea what to charge?????  The body of the pillowcase takes 3/4 yard, the first edging takes 1/4 yard and the second edging takes 1/3 yd.  Any ideas?  I've never done anything for anyone else and am totally clueless!

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,527 Posts
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:09 PM

I have a suggestion.  Have the friends pick out and buy their fabrics with the amounts required and charge a set amount to make them.  A lot of people don't realize how expensive fabric can be.  I'm afraid that once they see how much it is, they may not want those pillowcases.  If you can cut and sew a pillowcase in 1/2 hour, I would think about 5 - 8 dollars per case just to sew it.  That's not a lot of hourly wage if the fabric was provided.  Just my own thoughts.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,534
gini replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:18 PM

you could also offer to show them how to sew the pillowcases

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
655 Posts
Points 11,290

I agree about showing them how to do it, they would enjoy doing that. You could have a pillow case making party and have others come over and help cut them out and sew and iron. Also have them bring a dish of food and make a day of it. That could be a lot of fun. Maybe you all could make some for charity too?  I also agree with them buying their own fabric. I made several last year for Christmas. It was fun to make them but I agree no one else realizes how much they really cost to make.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,609 Posts
Points 52,055
Ginny replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:58 PM

Phyllis,  I made a pair of pillowcases for my daughter just this weekend.  The fabric alone was $25.00.  I did use fabric from the quilt shop but it was not the most expensive fabric as some of them are.   So a lot depends on the fabric used.  It would be ausome if you could do like someone else suggested and have a group thing where you could teach them to make their own.  I also agree with Diana's suggestion about charges.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 8:12 AM

Zoetc49...what a great idea!  

By having them purchase their fabrics and then learning to make their own pillowcases they will then appreciate the cost of paying someone else to make them.    Ane what fun to have a party while learning.  And making new friends to share this class together.

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 5

I plan to charge $10 plus fabric per standard pillow case and $15-$20 plus fabric for king size.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 8:47 AM

Joni:

By having them purchase their fabrics and then learning to make their own pillowcases they will then appreciate the cost of paying someone else to make them.    Ane what fun to have a party while learning.  And making new friends to share this class together.

Or I like the idea of giving them the yardage amounts and have them purchase the fabric and you can just charge for your time.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:50 PM

Joni:

And charge $10 per person for the class.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use