Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380
Kristin (KAlbrecht) Posted: Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:08 PM

I'm going to a quilt retreat next weekend sponsored by my LQS and will be doing a mystery quilt while I'm there.

I need 5 coordinating fabrics and went through my stash and came out with this (the attached).

What do you think? 

The focus is the green pattern, the dark is the burgandy/wine color, the contrast is the blue.  Then I'm stuck on either the mustard or the small floral for border.  Which ever one I use for the border, the other will end up as accents in the quilt.

What do you think?  I'd really like to have your opinion . . . My DH is color blind and is useless in these decisions. The parts I'm unsure of is (1) the blue for a contrast and (2) which fabric to use for the border.

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 565
Points 9,975
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:17 PM

hard call. Beautiful colors and will look great what ever the mystery is... 

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,297
Points 414,019
gini replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:18 PM

Kristin take a black and white picture with your camera. I think you will find there is very little contrast between your green red and blue.   The red may stand out a bit because it is red , 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:27 PM

How about using that off-white print for contrast?  Experience has taught me that it's best not to select a border fabric for a mystery quilt until you have the rest of the top pieced.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,691
Points 29,195
Roxana replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:53 PM

I agree with them. The contrasting fabric is the light floral or the mustard. Thanks for the advice about waiting on the border with a mystery quilt. I'm about to do my first. I also like the idea of a black and white picture.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,399
Points 361,057
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 11:42 PM

Kristin,

Pretty fabrics. I think you have good colour contrast even though it looks like the red, green and blue are of similar value (on my monitor). The lighter color will probably be more of an accent than the mustard. I guess it depends on how much you want your accent to stand out.

I agree with Nancy on waiting to select the border fabric.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

I'm gonna take everybody's advice and wait until it's done before I decide on a border.

I will use the small floral for accent.

What do you all think about this as the contrast instead of the blue?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

What exactly will I be able to view in a black and white picture of the fabrics?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:53 AM

The b&w photo will show whether or not you have enough difference in value for your colors to pop and your design to show clearly.  If you have too many fabrics of the same value, the quilt may appear muddy.

Here are some links explaining it better.  Notice in the first link the picture showing grayscale - the green and yellow fabric surprisingly have the same value.

http://daintytime.net/2011/01/22/color-tips-for-quilt-makers-the-importance-of-value/

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-understand-color-value-quilting-3180788.html?cat=24

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

WOW! This is what it looks like in B&W ..........

So if the Red and Blue are the same value, I should take one out, right?

Then what do I do about the mustard and the small floral?  Aren't those also the same value?

What does one do in a case where there a multiples of one value in a quilt?  Should I look for something completely out of my comfort zone for the dark (Red) and the contrast (Blue)????????

Your help is very much appreciated.  THANK YOU.  I'm learning something today.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:31 AM

I don't think the mustard and cream sm floral are the same at all.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:41 AM

THe cream seems a little lighter than the mustard, 

Perhaps, add a few more of each lighter ones to balance it out?  I admit, I don't know what I'm talking about, but that seems like it would work out..

I'll try that technique next time I'm auditioning my fabrics...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,396
Points 23,275
Debbie replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:21 AM

If the focus is the green pattern, then the mustard and contrast the blue. Then either the burgundy or the small floral for border.  that's MHO.  for what it is worth, but all pretty colors. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,396
Points 23,275
Debbie replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:26 AM

Well, after reading everyone else's posts, I am way off base.  Don't listen to me - the others are making more sense and teaching me something.   Thanks!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

How's this look?

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use