Top 10 Posters

Suggestions for best machine for quilting/sewing?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
50 Posts
Points 970
Sandy posted on Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:34 PM

Hello, 

I am looking at upgrading the machine I have it is a Brother QC 1000.  I do like this machine but my main issue I have is when I am piecing and start to sew them sometimes this machine does not like to start at the beginning of the piece and will jam a little.  Not a big jam but enough to make it a little frustrating and make the corners of the pieces get all messed up.  I am a beginning quilter so not that anyone I give anything to expects perfection which is good.

I am not looking for Embroidery on the machine since I have that covered, I also have a HQ Sweet Sixteen, so I am just looking for the best machine at the best cost and not complicated.  (I am not asking much)

Thanks for your suggestions

Sandy

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
506 Posts
Points 7,955
Joyce replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:32 PM

Sandy, have you tried sewing a scrap of fabric right before you start your square or corner that catches the beginning and you just keep on sewing then cut the scrap & thread when you finish your piece.  I have a Viking Sapphire machine and I like it.  It has been complicated for me to learn but as I do I really like the extra room in the neck for quilting. Good luck

Joyce

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,179 Posts
Points 15,780

Sandy:
this machine does not like to start at the beginning of the piece and will jam a little.
               I have used several different machines and if you start sewing at the very beginning of fabric some machines will catch and jam.  Try a small piece of fabric first and just continue on with yours and it should work. Some of the instructors I have been taught from do this all the time. Hope this helps !  Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
50 Posts
Points 970
Sandy replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:04 PM

Thanks, I just watched a video earlier today and she put a piece of material in front of her piece and thought that was a great idea then got suggestion from both Joyce and Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
650 Posts
Points 12,285
Sandy, I hadn't tried this on a regular basis til this last week. We were traveling, so in the RV on my portable Featherweight 222. Thought I'd try it as I had alot of piecing to do. I just used a scrap piece of material, I did double it over, then used it at the beginning of each chain I was doing. The other thing I found was when I was doing a line of pieces, that reminded me of which end was the first block as that end had the "thread bunny" on it. I'll be doing it all the time now, I had no catching on my starts, had no catches of thread into the bobbin either. Love it now!!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
2,626 Posts
Points 36,875

I have a BRother pq1500 and Janome 6600 but I would love to have the sweet sixteen  on a frame.  the Brother accomodates my larger quilts and I haven't started using 6600 yet but it has alot of stitches.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200

and if you do like Bonnie Hunter, sew 2 pieces together (as if yu are making a block) you will eventually have enough doubles to put together to make a quilt. (always keep a new 'block' under your needle) i have started doing this with my scraps and have soooo many sewn together, i just know i will be doing a scrap quilt soon!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
650 Posts
Points 12,285
Sherry, Just saw your comment. Do you use a certain size scrap when doing this? I like this idea, just have my scraps cut into a certain size from the quilt I am working on? Then as I am doing one quilt, use the scraps and put together as a block? Do you have a picture how you do this? I'm always looking for an organized way to cut the scraps and have in a basket to make a scrap quilt. Thanks

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use