Any suggestions?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530
Jennifer posted on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:21 AM

Hello All,

any suggestions. I have a set of nine hankies (unused) That are appro. 10 1/2 x 10 1/2. they are white with embroiderd birds in the lower, right quarter I would love to make a quilt out of the and not sure what to do with them

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

these are so beautiful.  I woould cut them in smaller squares (unhem them and cut a square just around the birds using the two unhemed sides as one corener of the square) and then use shashing and corner blocks to make a lovely wall hanging or table topper

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:34 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I agree with Elizabeth.  You could used the 'hankie' blocks with sashing to make something small.  You could also use them as centers for stars or log cabin blocks and use those blocks for a project by themselves or mix the resulting blocks in with others in a larger project.   For Instance, if you made them into star centers, then the quilt could have other star blocks with plain or pieced centers with the bird stars just showing up here and there.  The sky is the limit.  It all depends on the type of item you would like.  The are tons of blocks that could be used, just by swapping the birds for whatever is in the center.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Oh Elizabeth! Thanks so much for the wonderfull ideas. I'll go with your wallhanging idea. I will have to cut them down or there will be to much white space.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Hi Dara. Both you and Elizabeth have wonderful ideas. I've spent the last few hours perusing for ideas. I think I found the perfect project combining both of your ideas and the "Sweet Daisy Dreams" quilt I found on this site. One question; If I make my wall hanging with scalloped edges, will it hang funny? OMG I can't wait to get started. I've had these hankies for years hoping one day to turn them into a quilt.

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Ok tghe galls at the fabric shop talked me out of the sweet daisy dreams like quilt. They thought it would be to busy. Now I'm lost again :(

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 5:59 PM

Jennifer,

I looked up the Sweet Daisy Dreams Quilt.  Were you thinking of using your hanky birds in place of the baskets?  If so, I don't see any reason not to do it.  I would just leave as much of the white hanky material around the birds as possible and it will be gorgeous.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Hi Dara,

Thank you so much for your input. Yes I was thinking of the birds in place of the baskets. The more I think about it, the happier I am that I didn't follow through with the ladies at the fabric/qulit shop's suggestions. They thought I should use black in between the bird blocks. I just think that would be to harsh for my taste. Happy that I didn't puchase the blacks. Although.....LOL some kind of quilter I am! Didn't even leave with a fat quarter to add to my stash.

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Still uncertain what colors to use.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,188 Posts
Points 15,900

Jennifer:
any suggestions. I have a set of nine hankies (unused) That are appro. 10 1/2 x 10 1/2
                                                                                                            Hi Jennifer,  there use to be a pattern for hankies on Annies and or E-Pattern Central, however, I cant seem to find it. Have you tried to Google it? A wall hanging would be very pretty, maybe with sashing matching the color of each bird? Im sure someone here has seen a pattern. I wish I was more helpful to you. Good Luck, and show us a picture when you are finished with what ever you decide to make.        Susan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,667 Posts
Points 37,605

I would probably surround them in green foilage fabric then work into a large tree quilt.  I don't know if you picture what i mean, but like their on the branches.  Hope this helps.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Hi Susan,

Thanks for taking time to look for me. The ladies on here are fantastic, so helpful and full of great ideas. I have spent hours searching the net.

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

Hello Is2116,

Great idea, I think I know wha t you mean. Just not sure I'm experienced enough to come up with a design. You've inspired to to seach the net again.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Try a Google image search for "hankie quilts."  Hundreds of pictures!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 530

MNancy thank you sooooo much. There are so many beautiful quilts.

Jenn

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use