Page 6 of 7 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 101 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:48 PM

Last, the easiest.  One color at a time.  Blue for one fabric and brown (?) for the other.  Left over dye in the jar, just stuff the fabric in, leaving some at the top above the dye level.   When I was rinsing the white at that top was a pretty light blue or pale orange, but those washed out to white. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:51 PM

these have all been washed.  I used the kona twill PFD fabric from JoAnne's.  It does take color very well, but comes out a bit stiffer than the other fabric we used.  I think it would be great for hats, bags, etc. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:05 PM

Ok, I wish it would snow...lots so I can do this.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,531
Points 51,070
Ginny replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:21 PM

Donna B,  I love the sun dye job that you did last summer.  I could just eat that piece of fabric up, it is so yummy looking.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 8:59 PM

These are all so pretty and it looks like such fun, but if I start another hobby, I'll probably be kicked out of the house.  Don't have room around here for the hobbies I already have, but I sure would love to try it.  I really like your sun dyed fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 10:46 PM

Karla:

These are all so pretty and it looks like such fun, but if I start another hobby, I'll probably be kicked out of the house.  Don't have room around here for the hobbies I already have, but I sure would love to try it.  I really like your sun dyed fabric.

LOL Karla...our DH's are just delusional...they think this is just another phase of quilting.  

Or, just maybe they think it's a way to get our fabric cheaper... buy plain white fabric and turn it into just what you want?  Ha Ha Ha (don't they wish)!

BTW, Marge P is doing her snow-dyeing in a shed out back...no kidding!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:35 PM

Patti

The blue one is scrumptious.   Beautiful job on these.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:37 PM

Oh  Patti do you see the 2 wolf heads on the bottom right of the blue fabric????

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:29 PM

i see alf.  these are beautiful, patti.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,388
Points 175,308
Marie replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:06 PM

I see a hoot owl about 1/2" from bottom right hand side corner and a goat sticking his tongue out about 1" above the owl.  Gorgeous fabrics Patti!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:16 PM

I see the owl and the goat, but haven't found the wolves yet.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 2:02 PM

Love all the experiments Patti and Donna.  Especially love that blue one you put in the jar to dye.  Really appreciate the description of what and how you did each piece.

Just got back from Worley ID for a 2 day R and R.  I was hoping we would still have some snow on the North side of the house.  WE DO! :-)  So I must get my rear in gear and go and do two batches.  i want to try Donna's brown and violet combo. Donna had told me that the local market had some dispensers like for using with ketchup and mustard and they were very useful for putting the dye on the fabric.  Being as I have spilled it a couple times, am looking forward to squirting it on in various places.

Yes, I do my dyeing in an unheated storage shed and bring it all in to rinse in my utility tub.  Works really well and I am constantly telling my DH that particular things are for "dyeing only".  I am accumulating a good little supply of things that I use only for dyeing i.e., measuring cups, measuring spoons, jars, etc. Thus far I can store these things in the rubbermaid dish pans that collects all the snow that drips down with dyeing.

I find myself spelling the word dyeing a lot.  I was having my monthly Zometa infusion in Wenatchee a month or so ago and the nurse asked me what I plan to do when I was finished and I told her I had to go to JoAnn's to get some fabric for dyeing.  The look on her face was priceless.  I then spelled it for her and she looked very relieved and wanted to know all about it.  I guess when you are in the Oncology room, you need to spell DYEING if you mean working with fabric, etc. LOL

Off to play!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 2:04 PM

Nana:
All of these fabrics are fantastic.  You have been one busy lady.

Thanks, Nana!  I tell you this is a very addictive past time for sure.  You just never know what you will end up with and that is half the fun.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 2:06 PM

I get a real kick out of what people see in these designs.  We have a fellow in our SAIL class and he really enjoys looking at the fabrics.  He told me last Monday that one of my pieces looked like a forest where you would expect to see Leprechauns running around.  It had lots of purple in it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 2:33 PM

Marge P:

I get a real kick out of what people see in these designs.  We have a fellow in our SAIL class and he really enjoys looking at the fabrics.  He told me last Monday that one of my pieces looked like a forest where you would expect to see Leprechauns running around.  It had lots of purple in it.

I remember that comment...LOL!

I was just on my Facebook page and thought you would like to see what "real" snow dyeing looks like:

This picture is from Skyswept Designs in Canada.  This gal does production snow-dyeing of silk scarves to sell during the summer street fairs, etc.  

Just look at all those bins!

Winthrop, WA

Page 6 of 7 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use