OK, here goes - hope it doesn't take me all afternoon to get these pictures posted. BTW, I have been using iodized salt every time except the day of the class. Kathy at Tamarack Shack says she doesn't see any difference. i will use more just to see what it does.
This first picture shows a brown and yellow combination and also a Pink, Denim Blue and yellow.
Donna - I need a lesson on how to post several pictures with text between them. I am not achieving that today so will just wing it with individual pictures. Sorry!
Isn't the brown beautiful in the last picture? Agnes gave me a lesson on color saying that the denim blue we were using probably has a sienna brown in it as part of the mix and I lucked out and for some reason, captured it. Lee says to make a quilt out of it!
this next one is the Violet and pink and I did put some rubber bands on all three pieces - about 3 or 4 on each piece in various spots. I think I did the same with the blues
Also, the one with the blues and brown, I used only the Denim Blue and the Ocean Blue and that is why I was so surprised at the brown tones. Thanks to Agnes for clearing that up for me.
This one is just the Dark Green and I put three rows across the snow and then diluted it with water and added two more rows between the undiluted rows. Also rubber banded these 3 fabrics.
These are the bright pink and yellow = rubber banded and did the three rows of the pink and two of the yellow. Used all I had mixed and don't remember if I diluted it or not.
These are two narrow strips that I tried the immersion on after one of the first pink batches i did. I folded them differently - one lengthwise in 1" folds and then folded back and forth in 2" folds and put a rubber band on it - the other one was folded in 1" folds the whole length and then folded again and rubber banded.
This is Dark Brown on all three fabrics - no rubber bands - three rows of full strength and then filled in with two rows of diluted. I love all the various shades and designs.
The browns didn't photo well all - they are darker but still not as dark as I want so may have to really up the salt and dye. I think I will go and do another couple batches today if I think the snow between the sheds is usable. I may mix up the remaining dye I have and see what kind of a creation I can make. Have only four pieces of fabric to use until my Fabric Shack order comes in next week.
This last photo is of straight Ocean Blue - three rows across and then diluted for two rows. The one piece has a lot of a very pretty lavender and the other two have splotches of lavender on them.
Marge, I love them all, can't pick out a favorite. I must do some this week.
Marge your just dyeing up a storm aren't you...LOL! And, you are doing a great job of documenting exactly what you are doing with each batch. From what I can gather, that is very important...so you have some idea (clue) in the future how to get you to (or at least near) the result you want to achieve.
I think it is my well-water (very hard) that has thrown me. I have had some really weird results, so I need to see how this batch works with bottled water before I move forward.
I've also had problems with the Dk Brown Dylon dye powder. It was definitely a loose powder when I added it to the warm to tepid water, but it immediately formed into a hard lump that took forever to dissolve. (In fact, the lump never did completely dissolve.) This is the third time I have had this happen! This last time, I strained the liquid dye through a coffee filter to get any remaining crystals out of the liquid before I poured it over the snow. (I saw this suggestion on a website.) I don't know why I am having this problem! Thought it was because the water was too hot, but this time I made sure it was definitely only warm or even a little cooler...so I know that wasn't it. hmmmmm.... more thinking required. Any suggestions???
If I can't resolve this problem, I may go to the liquid dye formulas sooner rather than later...
Marge, your fabrics are beautiful, can't wait to see what you'll do with them.
Marge, forgot to mention... BEAUTIFUL!!!! ALL OF THEM! Please bring on Monday so I can see in person!
I think you will need to do the May demo at our quilt-day...you are getting way ahead of me in experience on this.
DH will supply the snow, you will be the dye lady, and I will be your assistant...LOL!
Beautiful products Ladies! I can't wait to see how you use 'em. I was going to suggest Dhrma but I see you've already discovered them. Be sure to read their tutorials. DD and I snow dyed bamboo skarves last winter with OK results. We used Cheap dye from Walmart. I don't recommend it. They colors came out pastel and the texture was weak. I LOVE the hand of the bamboo tho... it's very fine, slightly drapey and creamy smooth.
Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.
Marge--So glad to see all your fabrics. Beautiful job.
Donna--Hard water usually has some form of iron in it. Believe it or not, one of the dyes used for mixing paint colors is iron oxide so you may be well onto something when you wonder whether it is causing interference. By the way, my best color lessons came from the seminars I attended when we were selling paint in the hardware store and then paying attention to some of the combinations that were used to create the beautiful colors customers choose from the color swatches. It never failed to amaze me how just a tiny squirt of something like the brown sienna or some of the others changed the color if it was ever forgotten.
Had dinner last evening at Dina's home. She was in the dye class with Donna, Marge and me. She lives up the valley. Looks like she will have enough snow for snow dyeing for another month.