Page 3 of 7 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 101 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 11:02 PM

Here some pictures of my fabrics in the dyeing process.  This was about 18 hours after the snow and dye were applied.

This shot is of the PFD fabric on the left (very pale color result) and the non-PFD fabric on the right.  It looks pretty crunched up, but you saw the results!

This next shot is of the non-PFD fabric with the Olive Green and a little Int. Violet:

(BTW, this is my kitty-litter strainer set-up (old, not being used) on top of a plant tray upside down in a tote tray. I like this set-up best as you have more control over the snow and you have a sturdy deep tray for the dye to drip into.)

And lastly,  my improvised set-up to dye two halves of one piece of fabric in two different ways.  (Don't do this - cut your fabric in two before dyeing each!)

This is the section with the dyed snow piled on top of the fabric (dye has all drained through the snow and through the fabric).  Note the dishpan tipped up behind!  It was tipped up only to get this picture.

Here is how this set-up was before I tipped the dishpan and the other half of the fabric up.  See how the dishpan is setting on the tray with the snow and other half of the fabric?  That is how that section had the dishpan line!  I used the old green towel under this top piece of the fabric to keep the layers of the fabric from touching each other.  

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,932
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 11:49 PM

Thanks for sharing your processes, tips and tricks ladies. I love what you're producing.

Marge, your fabrics are fabulous. I really like the colours you chose.

Patti, I like how you demonstrated a scrunched up piece and a folded piece. I like the striped look.

Donna, I like your green and purple piece and the really light one even if it's a result of weaker dyes.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 12:38 AM

Patti:

If you are member of JoAnn's they have an in store and on-line sale.  With your coupon you can buy their Kona pfd fabric for half off.  So I bought a bolt of 20 yards.  Shipping included it is less than $5 a yard.

Patti, I've been looking at this too.  It says "Kona Twill-prepared for dyeing".  Isn't twill a coarser weave of fabric than normal flat cotton?  I just google'd it:

"Twill is a fabric characterized by its diagonal weave. This weave may be evident in tweed variants of twill, where several colors are used. It is less evident when used with a single colored thread like cotton, for use in cotton twill, sometimes also called chino."

Did you order it on-line?  If so, when you get it will you please let me know how the fabric feels.  If it's before the 9th, I may be able to still sneak in on the coupon sale if the fabric is OK.  

After my experience today, I want to be very sure I have the right type of fabric.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,272
Points 173,273
Marie replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:38 AM

Thanks to all for your directions and advice but now I need another snow storm to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's melting quickly, the sun is out strong today but the wind is howling.  If I can gather everything I need quickly, I might be able to give this a try otherwise I'll forget about it when next winter rolls around.  Old age is a b**ch!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 11:27 AM

Marie:

Thanks to all for your directions and advice but now I need another snow storm to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's melting quickly, the sun is out strong today but the wind is howling.  If I can gather everything I need quickly, I might be able to give this a try otherwise I'll forget about it when next winter rolls around.  Old age is a b**ch!

Marie, not to worry!  Patti, Marge P, and I are hooked and will be doing this again next winter...so you will have plenty of reminders...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,272
Points 173,273
Marie replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:01 PM

Thanks Donna.  I just got the news that my DGGS is going to make an entrance into this world soon, today I hope.  DGS let me know they left for the hospital about an hour ago so I won't have time to gather up what I'll need for this year.  Heading out to Boston soon.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 10:15 PM

Donna, I think you are right about the twill.  I saw "kona" and thought it was good, but from some research sounds like this may not be quilt shop quality.  However it is supposed to dye very well, and certainly will give me lots of learning, and maybe I'll use the fabric for something besides quilts. 

Dharma, sounds like the best place to buy the 'good' stuff, and they have a very good price.  They also are supposed to be the best place for fiber reactive dyes as well. 

I'll let you know what it is like.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:05 PM

Patti:

Donna, I think you are right about the twill.  I saw "kona" and thought it was good, but from some research sounds like this may not be quilt shop quality.  However it is supposed to dye very well, and certainly will give me lots of learning, and maybe I'll use the fabric for something besides quilts. 

Dharma, sounds like the best place to buy the 'good' stuff, and they have a very good price.  They also are supposed to be the best place for fiber reactive dyes as well. 

I'll let you know what it is like.

I really hope it works for practice dyeing for you.  I am completely out of fabric now, so will need to buy some...probably from Dharma.

I too thought that sounded like the best place to buy the PFD fabric and reasonably priced.  Plus, can combine with the dyes and synthopol (sic), etc.  BTW, the photo-reactive dye I used was "Set-a-Color"(from Dharma).  I think it was the tamarackshack blogspot that used rice on the dyed fabric (in direct sunlight) to create a mirage effect.  I want to try other materials too to see the results I get.

Let us know how the fabric turns out...

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:19 AM

Marie:
If I can gather everything I need quickly, I might be able to give this a try otherwise I'll forget about it when next winter rolls around.  Old age is a b**ch!

If you didn't get stuff ready this year, you can do it later this year.  I have become obsessed with it LOL - we had about 4 inches of fresh, wet snow on Wednesday.  I already had two batches out in the shed that were ready for rinsing.  I brought those in, cleaned up my two sets of racks and pans and got another two colors going.  I was thrilled when I saw the snow and my DH is just looking at me like I was crazy.  I brought those two batches in today and they are in the washer so they will be all dried and pressed before I go to bed.  Will try and get pictures of the last 3 batches tomorrow.

I have been testing three kinds of PFD - the LQS fabric from our class, a Moda from a shop in Caldwell ID and a Kona from the Fabric Shack in Ohio.  Thus far I am happiest with the Kona and ordered 5 more yards from them.  I also bought 3 more from the LQS and it is already half gone.  I have been cutting 1/4 or 1/3 yard cuts and using one of each with a color combination.  Mostly I think the Kona has dyed the best but it also depends on which fabric is on the outer edges of the three or in the middle.

Anyway, it has been lots of fun and I am getting a nice selection of colors.  I hopw ir snows tonight but doubt it!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:10 AM

You know you can SUN dye fabric, also. I want to try that. I ordered some of the Kona from Fabric Depot. Waiting for it to get here.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 10:24 AM

my bolt of kona twill PFD fabric looks like it will do very well.  I just need to get a couple other things and will do some dying.  We still have some snow in piles, but I want to dry some different methods. 

Marge P.  I am really looking forward to seeing your fabrics.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:45 AM

quiltylee:

You know you can SUN dye fabric, also. I want to try that. I ordered some of the Kona from Fabric Depot. Waiting for it to get here.

Sukochi, I did one piece of Sun dye fabric last summer.  There is a picture posted on the 2012 Leavenworth Retreat thread, but I couldn't find it this morning.  I'll try to take another picture later today and post for you.  I hope to do more of this later this spring and summer...after the snow-dyeing is no longer possible!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:50 AM

Patti:
my bolt of kona twill PFD fabric looks like it will do very well. 

I really glad to hear this Patti - in fact, I am really relieved...lol.  I'm still playing around with this, but wish I had some synthapol or retayne to fix the dye better.  I'm not real happy with all the dye I am losing in the rinse process.  I had heard that Walmart carried it, but its not in the Omak store, so I will check when I am in Oregon.  If I can't find it when there, I will need to order it online.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 2:43 PM

Depending on the type of dye, there are lots of things that can interfere or help the dying process.  Unfortunately the dylon does not say what it is, so one has to look at the directions to get some ideas.   Dylon uses salt.  The purpose of the salt is to get the dye out of the water and onto the fabric. (salt changes the electrical charge on the molecules.)   More salt is sometimes used for darker colors.  Otherwise the dye won't want to leave the water and adhere to the fabric.  Temperature of the water can make a difference too.  Depending on the dye, the temp may vary, Dylon says warm water, so be sure when mixing the dye, don't use hot.  Not all dyes use urea or soda ash.  dyes that use soda ash should be used shortly after mixing, as the longer it sits, the more the dye will bond with the water and not the fabric. 

One safety measure that was not stressed at our class was the need to avoid inhaling the dust from the powdered dye.  With some types of dyes, they don't seem to have much effect, but allergic reactions can develop over time.  Much like allergic reactions to latex.  It might not bother a person for a long time, by when that allergy develops it can be so bad, dying fabric is no longer possible as a hobby, ever.  Specially with the fiber reactive dyes. 

I am focusing on finishing a UFO today.   I will play with the dylon dyes I have left another day.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 3:24 PM

Thanks for the info Patti - I hadn't thought about adding additional salt.  I am cooling the water down down considerably (after dissolving the salt) before I add the dye an that seems to help.  This last batch I did, I used bottled water rather than my well water (which is very hard).  I am hoping that will help too.  I started the batch on Thursday afternoon and its been so cold the snow still hasn't melted completely.  I'm getting impatient to see how it turns out!!!

Winthrop, WA

Page 3 of 7 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use