Hello

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 185
Dadzillas Posted: Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:33 PM

Hello all. I am a veteran quilter. I am a male and a wounded Army veteran. Since I was injured I picked up sewing and quilting. It gives me something to do and relaxes me. I LOVE this website. Remember I said I was a veteran quilter, well that was true. I am a veteran hand quilter and I am just starting to try to machine quilt. I have a few friends I want to make a "quick" quilt for. For a handmade one I usually take about a year and a half. I have other things to do also so I can't dedicate all my time to quilting....I wish I could. So anyway, I am from Headland, Alabama. I have been married to the same wonderful woman for 23 years. I have one daughter who I have tried to get into quilting, but she does not do it very often. Anyway I am sure I will have MANY questions about machine quilting, and I may be able to help some of you with hand quilting (I've been doing it for 22 years). Thanks for your kind attention.                                                     Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                                                  Scotty Yeomans   (aka dadzillas)

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:46 PM

Welcome Dadzillas.  Several veterans here and several folks for whom quilting is therapy.  This is the best support group I have ever belonged to.  Glad you can join us.  Oh, and for our common addictions, we have lots of enablers. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,844
Points 248,939
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:55 PM

Scott ,welcome to the club,I think you'll like it hear ,I hope you will enjoy your time with us ,You're gonna love machine piecing and quilting ,its a skill learned just as hand quilting.  have fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:01 PM

Hi Scotty, welcome to the group.   I have watched Barbara progress with her machine quilting over the last year and a half.   She is proof positive that if you make a goal of practicing your quilting every day, you can become exceptionally good at It.  I would recommend Leah day's website, day style designs.  She is a phenomenal machine quilting instructor, and she is free online.    There is a group here that Barbara leads,  go to groups and look for machine quilting.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Welcome Scotty (dadzillas)

You will love it here. Everyone is so  nice. I think most of us use quilting as a good stress reliever. I hope you can post some pictures of your quilts.

Dadzillas:
I am a male and a wounded Army veteran.
 Thank you for serving.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092

Hi Scotty, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 185

Thanks all.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 4:19 AM

Hi Scotty and Welcome,    First things first,   Thank You for your service to our country.  My husband is a disabled Vietnam vet so I know how that goes.   We enjoy sharing our love of quilting so ask away.  We all try to help each other.   Quilting is the best therapy you can have.  I refer to my quilt studio as my sanity room.  What goes on there helps keep me sane.  So enjoy yourself.

Diana (Bink)  in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

dadzillas:

First of all thank you for your courage and for serving our country.  Because of people like you we have the freedoms we all enjoy today!  I am new to this website and just joined the Mystery Quilt #8 group.  I have only been quilting for about 10 years and I truly love it. I work full time but try to do as much quilting as I can squeeze into my week.  I do not do any hand quilting but one day I would like to.  I have read so many encouraging words from the members on this website. I think I will love being part of it!  Welcome and I hope to hear from you again.

Shirley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,447
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 7:18 AM

Scotty, Welcome to QCA - I am a disabled Air Force Veteran.  It is nice to have another veteran here.  I have been quilting almost my entire life - I don't remember when I didn't like cutting those pieces of fabric and redoing them into something better - never could understand why the designers didn't have my vision for their fabrics... I used to hand quilt but because of the onset of osteo and rheumatoid arthritis it is almost impossible to do any hand sewing but I still make my hands do embroidery quilts.  it just takes longer.  

Thank you for your service to our country and I look forward to getting to know you!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 7:54 AM

You are certinaly welcome here, Scotty. And, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service. And, I pray for you in your disability. You have made this Country proud.

Barbara is the Queen of machine quilting. She started, from nothing, and just does the most gorgeous work, in just no time at all.  It has amazed me watching her journey in machine quilting. Wow.

So, welcome, again, and quilty (((hugs))) coming your way.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 185

When we bough our new house 2 years ago, I insisted in having my own quilting room Lots of light and lots of space. And you are welcome for serving the county I love.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,844
Points 248,939
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 9:05 AM

Gini and Sukochi ,you are both to kind ,I have still got much to learn, but at least now the road is not so daunting. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 9:19 AM

Hello Shirley, welcome to you, too.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 9:21 AM

Barbara, I measured the doors here at the hotel, I'm sure your head will still fit through them.   : )

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use