Florida Trip in search of LQS

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220
Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine posted on Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:13 AM

We are making a one week trip to Central Florida (Leesburg) and I wanted to know if there are any must see LQS in the area or on the trip down. We will be going down I24 (from southern Illinois) and hooking up with the main interstate that runs through the middle of Florida. We won't have time to stray too far off the beaten path because it will be a short trip. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 80

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

Susan, thank you so much!  We are traveling via a Harley but my plan is to mail things home when (notice I said when not if) I find something I want. Then it will be like Christmas when we get back!

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,329 Posts
Points 18,745

Maggie- do you have the QCA quilt shop locator app?   I have it but have not used it yet as I've been pretty much home bound lately but that may help you out along the way.   Have fun and be safe on your trip; I'd love to get away for a few days!!

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370
Maggie, as we travel I have found it easiest to go to google maps on my iPhone, it will locate where you are at the moment. Then I type in quilt shops in the search menu on the top right. A map will come up with all the closest shops. Their reviews are also there so you look at the reviews, call the shop for hours, etc. if you zoom out, more shops will be pinned on the page. It seems to be the most updated. A few times we got there and a shop was closed, so now I call ahead to see if they are still in business. I have the quilt shop app on my phone but the updates don't seem to be very frequent and I couldn't click on reviews of the shops.

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470

Maggie, I live in North Florida, near Jacksonville, Im assuming your talking about I 75 running through the middle of state. I looked up a few for you, right off I 75.  There is one right in Leesburg,   A quilters Dream. biz   719 W Main St   You could e-mail them for directions.  There are 2 in  Ocala,  Peggys Heirlooms of Tomorrow,  6126 SW Hwy 200  1/2 mile west of 75  at Jasmine Sq.    peggy@heirloomsoftomorrow.com                                                                                                                                                                            Tomorrows Treasures Quilt Shop   TTocala@embarqmail.com                3 miles off I 75  4414 SW SR 200 # 1510  at Market St besides Panera Bread                           Hope this helps and have a safe trip.   Susan                                                                                                                                    

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

Susan, thank you so much!  We are traveling via a Harley but my plan is to mail things home when (notice I said when not if) I find something I want. Then it will be like Christmas when we get back!

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

Erin and Michelle, thanks for telling me about the apps. I will try them out. Michelle, I will definitely call ahead!  Thanks for the tip. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:31 PM

A Scarlet Thread

off I-75 exit 221 is a must stop for anyone traveling thru Georgia.  You can to go website and there are directions, very simple and easy.  AST is everyone's dream of a quilt shoppe!  It is open Monday thru Saturday.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,633 Posts
Points 52,340
Ginny replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 2:06 PM

Oh my Maggie.   Wish I were going on that trip to Fla with you.  But I think it would be too cold yet to leave from Michigan on a motorcycle.     Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

Joni, thanks!  That is the type of shops I'm looking to visit!  I will add it to my list. Now it will be a contest to see if we visit more quilt shops or harley dealers. Hahaha!

Ginny, my DH rides year round with heated gear. I'm a fair weather rider but he really wants to go to FL on the bike. I'll give him this one and if it is a miserable ride it won't happen again!!!  LOL. I'm thinking I shouldn't try to take my fur babies because the weather could be so unpredictable. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

Ginny, meant to mention to you that Michigan is one of our very favorite get-away states. We've traveled several times along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, around the UP the along the western shore of the lake in Wisconsin. DH'S wants to take the fairy across the lake from Michigan to Wisconsin then visit the Harley museum.  Michigan has great asparagus and great farms. The also have a fantastic October wine. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,633 Posts
Points 52,340
Ginny replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:00 AM

We travel around Michigan on my friends bike too.   And yes to the aspargus, I love the farm fresh aspargus here, but then I like the wild aspargus you find too.  Have you ever driven thru The tunnel of trees on the western side of Michigan?  It is  up near Cross Village.  There is a wonderful Inn along the route called the Legg Inn.  The outside of the Inn has all of these old cast iron stove legs decotating the outside.  The road is prime for motorcycles and bicycles.  It is really near the shore line too. The road is hilly and twisty and trees arc over the road.  Not a road for motorhomes though. Don't know that I have had the October wine, but there are great vineyards and wines around Traverse City in the penninsula.  Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,633 Posts
Points 52,340
Ginny replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:04 AM

Maggie,  Your DH is a really hardcore motorcycle rider then.  I wouldn't do it on a bet.  But I am a great fairweather rider.  And no, I wouldn't take my furbabies on that trip.  I think it would just be too cold for them.   Just have a great time on your trip.    Ginny

Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 725

If you come done I75 in Georgia they have a huge quilt shop in Conner, Georgia (south of Atlanta) . It is very close to the highway so easy to make a stop to stretch your legs. Just go to internet and put in Georgia quilt shops and you will find it. They claim t be largest in Georgia. Have fun!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

Thanks everyone!  We leave Friday AM. Who knew there was so much do get ready and pack when you are just taking a Harley. Sheesh!!!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,633 Posts
Points 52,340
Ginny replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:28 PM

You can really only pack the minimum unless you are pulling a trailer behind.  Good luck, good weather  and have fun.   Ginny

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use